82 gl1100 air suspension front/rear switch

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
hawklrgc
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

82 gl1100 air suspension front/rear switch

Postby hawklrgc » Sat May 05, 2012 9:23 pm

compressor works, adds air both front and rear, seems to hold air fine. But when you select rear, then front, it seems to be combine them. Put 60 in rear,then 20 in front,then check rear and its down a few, go back to front and its up a few.... took out front/rear selector and checked, couldn't see anything obvious, valves open and close and seal okay. Are these plain old schrader valves or something special? When you don't select either front or rear should you get a reading on the pressure gauge?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 82 gl1100 air suspension front/rear switch

Postby WingAdmin » Sun May 06, 2012 7:39 pm

That is correct. That's how it's supposed to work. That's why the manual says to first set the rear pressure, then set the front pressure. Setting the rear pressure actually sends some pressure to the front, just because of the way it's designed.

So what happens is, you press "rear", and it actually pressurizes the rear and the front.

Then you press "front", and you adjust the front. At this point, your suspension is set up correctly.

if you press "rear" again, it sends some of its pressure to the front, which means it actually goes down a bit.

Then when you press "Front" again, you read the higher pressure that just came from the rear.

And yes, they're plain old schraeder valves inside.

Note the last paragraph from the 1982 Aspencade manual:

82 Aspencade owners manual page
82 Aspencade owners manual page

hawklrgc
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby hawklrgc » Sun May 06, 2012 8:17 pm

Thanks. I understand what you're saying. I understand what is stated in the manual. But if you look at the front/rear select switch it should not work as described if functioning properly. Only one schrader is operated at a time, so the compressor is only connected to one suspension at a time. The valve to the non-selected suspension should not allow air into it.
Once you add air to the rear, I guess there is still that pressure in the comressor itself. Then when you depress the front selector, that pressurized air would go into the front even before you depress Increase, a small amount but some nonetheless. Since the valve to the rear is still closed, the pressure there stays at the level you had previous set. But now the pressure in the compressor is at the lower front level. If you now depress Rear again, you would bleed back into compressor because rear pressure is higher. At this point if you again press Front you would increase the pressure there because the pressure in the compressor is now higher. It's a vicious cycle until Front, Rear and Compressor pressures are the same. Like I said I could not find anything wrong and both valves were testing okay. Just thought I missed something. The Pressure Gauge Is Only For Setting Pressure, NOT CHECKING. Thanks again.

Latitude42
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

Postby Latitude42 » Tue May 08, 2012 10:57 am

I have an 82 Aspy.... rebuilt the air system.... it works as described in the manual....
theory is one thing, how it works is another.... the manual is right this time...

Latitude42 :)

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”