Need your help again

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
cjeffers9
Motorcycle: 1978 gl 1000 1982 gl1100 aspencade 1989 gl1500

Need your help again

Postby cjeffers9 » Wed May 09, 2012 8:14 pm

good news got the kit to rebuild master cylinder today rain here so didnt work so worked on the bike master cylinder with your input and the diy articles everything went just as planned Now the bad started the bike runs fine real good i think but smoking out of right side pipe then saw the gas dripping not out carburetors on top the bottom right at the exhaust Right after i got it and got it running i rode it up the street alittle it was fine but over nite with the gas turned on it filled the cylinders up and leaked back in the oil i changed the oil and then started on the brakes figure i would put some sea foam in the next tank full and see if that would clean them up So i guess the float is stuck i dont really want to tackle rebuilding the carburetors havin the shop do it is what 400 buck cant really tackle that either Any ideas ??

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Re: Need your help again

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Wed May 09, 2012 8:24 pm

Can you detail the problem a little more.Your post is confusing without puncuation.Regards,Johnyy

cjeffers9

Postby cjeffers9 » Wed May 09, 2012 9:01 pm

bought a 82 aspencade few weeks back ,it had been sitting a year or so. Got it running ,ran it up and down the street it did fine , ran good . Left the gas on and over nite the fuel leak into the cylinders and into the oil. Cleaned up that mess ,figured Id put some sea foam in the next tank full and see if that wouldnt clean the carburetors up and help that. Had to do some brake work ,rear caliper and the master cylinder. Took care of that today. So went aout got some gas and fired her up, started smoking out the right side exhaust. Saw gas leaking out , under the motor around the exhaust manifold. I turned the gas off , the smoke ease up just before it shut off . Float stuck . Right ?? Dont think i want to try to rebuild the carbs and cant afford a shop doing it right now. Is there a fix without tearing them down ??

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Wed May 09, 2012 9:07 pm

cjeffers9 wrote:good news got the kit to rebuild master cylinder today rain here so didnt work so worked on the bike master cylinder with your input and the diy articles everything went just as planned Now the bad started the bike runs fine real good i think but smoking out of right side pipe then saw the gas dripping not out carburetors on top the bottom right at the exhaust Right after i got it and got it running i rode it up the street alittle it was fine but over nite with the gas turned on it filled the cylinders up and leaked back in the oil i changed the oil and then started on the brakes figure i would put some sea foam in the next tank full and see if that would clean them up So i guess the float is stuck i dont really want to tackle rebuilding the carburetors havin the shop do it is what 400 buck cant really tackle that either Any ideas ??

I would run your engine with the Sea Foam several times,but make sure you have the fuel valve turned off
when you park it.Start the bike with the valve turned off, and then open as you ride away.One other thing to replace or check, is the fuel filter.It just could correct it's self after running it this way.And of coarse, the best when parked, is turn off that fuel valve. One just has to get in that practice.. good Luck.

WA9FWT Phil

Johnyy Smoke

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Thu May 10, 2012 5:25 am

Try the seas foam trick as mentioned-I had a sinilar problem,my #2 carb float was stuck-gas leaking onto the top of engine.I was very dubious about seafoam-but it WORKS!No more gas leaking.also try tapping the carb bowl lightly,Regards,Johnyy

cjeffers9

Postby cjeffers9 » Thu May 10, 2012 10:11 am

tapped on the bowls and been run it with the sea foam and the gas turn about half on Thanks it seems to be working now we wait to see whats next

cjeffers9

Postby cjeffers9 » Thu May 10, 2012 8:05 pm

Got the tags on today. Full tank of gas , some sea foam and down the road i go. top speed about 65. only put on 60 miles. run it more tommorrow. Stopped at hardware store to get some bolts for the seat. Talked to a guy who said rubbing alcoholis better than the sea foam. he puts it in his 1500. ?? Everything else seems to work but the gas gauge and the air ride. all the hoses on the air ride are hooked up, just acouple of green wires laying in there and does the pump just lay in the false tank on top of the air filter?? any help is help. thanks

seabee_
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda Goldwing GL1200
117k miles
1977 Kawasaki kz400
1978 Suzuki GSXr750
1980 Kawasaki GPZ400
1975 Honda CB360T

Postby seabee_ » Fri May 11, 2012 12:36 am

The rubbing alcohol will help somewhat with water condensation in the fuel but the Seafoam will clean out your fuel system. Seafoam has some of the same type of alcohol in it, but it's the solvents you need for cleaning. Seafoam works good as per the directions.
Paul
CE1 Navy Seabees/RET
1981 to 2002
ASE Mechanic

D2D
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000 (sold)
1977 GL1000 (sold)
1978 GL1000
1979 GL1000
1982 GL1100

Postby D2D » Fri May 11, 2012 6:05 am

Look in your manual for the wiring diagram and check to be sure everything is connected as required and that you have no shorts. As for your air pump, I don't have an Aspencade, but I doubt that any part is suppose to be just laying on top of your airbox. You speak of two wires unattached, quite possible that that is your issue ( no power) or a blown seal in the system.

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

cjeffers9 wrote:Got the tags on today. Full tank of gas , some sea foam and down the road i go. top speed about 65. only put on 60 miles. run it more tommorrow. Stopped at hardware store to get some bolts for the seat. Talked to a guy who said rubbing alcoholis better than the sea foam. he puts it in his 1500. ?? Everything else seems to work but the gas gauge and the air ride. all the hoses on the air ride are hooked up, just acouple of green wires laying in there and does the pump just lay in the false tank on top of the air filter?? any help is help. thanks

Correct, the Air compressor just lays there waiting for you to push the button. :) It is not secure.It has no place to go!

WA9FWT Phil

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Fri May 11, 2012 8:21 am

check your headers for even heat..run the bike for a few minutes then spray water on each header..it should vaporize instantly..if not you a cylinder not firing or at least not well. Check your plugs should be light tan and dry..got a black wet one???

Leaking gas could be stuck float or bad float needle or crap int eh needle seat or leaking o ring in the plenum or ???

Also be careful leaking gas can fill a cylinder and then on start up bend a rod...
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

cjeffers9

Postby cjeffers9 » Fri May 11, 2012 5:07 pm

As i said yesterday its not running bad, sits and idles good,you can rev it up,but out on the highway top speed about 60 , wide open I tried easeing off ,to see if it will catch up. No just bogs down. Found some speakers on ebay rode the bike to mail the payment, stop at auto parts store ,got a fuel filter, at frist seem better, then back on highway i didnt think id make it that 20 miles back home. Took alot of gas ( got the gas gauge working ) almost half a tank . Just a in line filter. all the same .?? Start looking for someone to rebuild them ?? any problem just leting it run with the rev pulled alittle?? any other ideas

veg_eta_ble

Postby veg_eta_ble » Fri May 11, 2012 9:00 pm

Had the same situation with mine, (it had been sitting seven years when I found the bike). Did the seafoam trick and bike ran great for awhile. Then all the rust, sludge, and dirt that was hiding throughout entire fuel system broke loose and plugged everything up. In the process of refurbishing fuel tank, lines, and carbs now. Check and replace if needed your fuel filter and hopefully a couple more tanks with some sea foam and you will be in good shape. Also take a good look inside fuel tank for rust. If so, you are in for alot of work, but there is really helpfull threads on this site to fix that. Good luck to you! :D
If you walked out of bed today, had a job to go to, a home to go back to, and someone there who loves you, then my friends, you have already won. -Larry Miller

cjeffers9

Postby cjeffers9 » Fri May 11, 2012 9:09 pm

thanks i have to try a few more tank full of gas and the sea foam but will look for someone to rebuild the carbs but who know may try it myself

Johnyy Smoke

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Sat May 12, 2012 4:06 am

Have you checked compression? Regards,Johnyy

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Sat May 12, 2012 8:22 am

You can hook up an alternate fuel source..plastic bottle...and run that directly to the carbs this eliminates the tank, filter etc. if still runs like crap..try sea foam mix in the new source..50/50 mix will smoke a lot let the 50/50 sit over night in the carbs and try again.

Note this is not the safest thing to try but if you secure the bottle well and make sure it doesn't leak it will work w/o issues I have a set up I use all the time to check things out. I used a 12oz. water bottle cut the bottom off (save it to use a a lid), drilled a hole in the cap to match the fuel line OD make it tight!~!!..use a new line with soft rubber not the cloth covered line. Shove the line into the hole about 1/4" up in ; hook the other end to the #3 carb..tie the bottle up against the fuax tank, fill with gas, check for leaks, put the lid on and starter her up. Again not the safest idea but I have run for miles of course bigger bottles more miles. Some have done similar with actual gas cans strapped to the bike or in a saddle bag but that still needs the pump my way eliminates that too. Although you could strap a gas tank to the seat and once the fuel gets going it would gravity feed w/o the pump. Anyway will help ID the source of your problem.

removing the gas tank and doing an acid wash or using electrolysis to clean the tank is a good idea.

HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”