1100s turn signals

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
goldminerusa
Motorcycle: 1982 gl 1100standard, 1983 1000c

1100s turn signals

Postby goldminerusa » Tue May 15, 2012 11:21 am

Recently posted that i finally fixed the "no head/tail/horn/turns problem, but now have a new problem. No turns and the bike is burning up relays. A little history, when i rebuilt the main harness i found that the Black lead(for the 3 leads for the relay) is a splice from the white/green from the fuse box. OK now, when the bike came to me it had a 2 blade 550 flasher relay and the turns worked. Since the black is hot, the green is ground and the grey should go to the turn switch, do i now need a three blade relay? and why did it work with the 2 blade relay? The local dealer tells me the oem part # is a 2 blade. If thats the case, which lead do i leave off? OR what type of 3 blade should i use/buy? Another thing, the honda srvc. manual / elec. schematic shows the wires as grey, white/green, green. The factory splice is BLACK. Is this an inconsistency? Unless you take the harness apart you wouldn`t know this.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 1100s turn signals

Postby WingAdmin » Tue May 15, 2012 11:36 am

The white/green should be +12v when the ignition is switched to ON.

The grey wire goes to the turn switch, and from there to the light bulbs, and from there to ground.

The green wire is ground, and is used only on turn signal flasher relays that have a ground connection (i.e. three pin flashers). For two-pin flashers, the green wire is left disconnected.

I don't know about the splice - but in Honda land, green is always ground, and black is (almost) always +12V when ignition is switched to ON.

goldminerusa

Postby goldminerusa » Tue May 15, 2012 12:20 pm

I have a Tridon 2 pin model # el-12 stting here that got smoked this friday past, it`s an electronic unit with pins marked X and L. I made a 10A fused lead jumper from the Black lead and put it on the X pin and put the grey lead on the L pin, pushed the left turn switch and heard, pssfft. checked the relay and its dead. BUT the fuse didn`t blow! If i used the green lead in place of the grey then the relay is out of the circuit. No? Another $15 for a new relay won`t kill me, but i dont want to make a habit here. Seems going to the 3 pin is the way, X=fused 12v, L=grey T signal and green, is what, relay ground?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue May 15, 2012 12:41 pm

That's the correct way to hook it up. Green is used for relay ground on electronic relays. X = fused 12 volt, L = output to turn signals.

If you hook up the X to +12V, and hook up a 12 volt bulb (i.e. trouble light) between L and ground, does the bulb turn on?

With the relay disconnected and all power turned off, use an ohmmeter to measure the current between your grey wire and ground when the turn signal is flipped. There should be several ohms (at least 6), any less than that and you may have a short. I'm leaning toward that being the problem - because it didn't blow until you flipped the turn signal switch.

Try this: Hook up the (fused) black wire directly to the grey wire, turn on the ignition and flip the turn signal. If there is a short, your fuse should blow. If not, the turn signal should light up (but not flash, obviously).

Incidentally, there are two types of three-pin flashers, and they can be identified by their pin markings:

Type A:
X - +12V
L - To bulb
P - (not included on some flashers) Pilot bulb - DO NOT connect to ground, will blow fuse!

Type B:
49 - +12V
49a - To bulb
31 - Ground (not included on some flashers)

goldminerusa

Postby goldminerusa » Tue May 15, 2012 1:14 pm

I will get back to you, my "shop" is the back deck and it`s been raining all day with more coming. Have to buy another relay anyway. Tomorrow`s going to be nice, i`ve got a feeling who`s going to be right about this anyway. Thanks

shehawken
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100

Postby shehawken » Wed May 16, 2012 7:31 am

You're already doing better than I am. I had to rewire the front signals and headlight when I lost my Vetter fairing to a deer incident. I still can't get the beeper to work right on the turn signals. It either beeps constantly when I turn the key or, like now, it doesn't work at all 'cause I yanked it. Funny thing, the harness on mine is supposed to be original but the wire colors don't seem to match. Maybe someday...

johngagen
Motorcycle: 1982 goldwing interstate

Postby johngagen » Wed May 16, 2012 4:28 pm

i'm sorting out a problem myself and am new to electrics,in the service manual i was reading it said the buzzer should only sound when your traveling over 40 miles an hour...something to consider in your situation.

goldminerusa

Postby goldminerusa » Wed May 16, 2012 5:50 pm

Shehawken, i got another harness from another GW site and it did have a few wires that mine didn`t have. If your using a Honda srvc. manual, tracing back thru the schematic can be helpful, a factory splice doesn`t always remain the same color at the device as in the harness. As far as the beeper, i don`t know, mine doesn`t chirp , beep or do anything else, but i have read that its supposed to do certain things at certain times/speeds. Really the bottom line on my bike was to clean and clean again every contact and connection. Try CRC electronic cleaner for the connectors and switches, sometimes i had to pull the pin(s) out and clean that way though. The starter switch was the biggest issue though, which can be had new (i`m told) on ebay and some of the online dealer website "oem fiches". Hope this helps. And don`t forget to ask questions here, there are members that have forgotten more than some know.

goldminerusa

Postby goldminerusa » Wed May 16, 2012 5:56 pm

Shehawken, i just noticed your in / near Rochster, NY. There a guy at Golwingfacts..com that goes by the handle ZImco that lives and runs a shop in Rochester. Hes running a thread called "lowering the 1000", maybe you can look him up.

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Wed May 16, 2012 7:36 pm

sounds like a frustrating electrical problem-that can be a problem that wont end.I would try to consult a mechanic.You can chase your tail on this type of problem to no end.Regards,Johnyy

goldminerusa

Re: 1100s turn signals / found the problem!!!!!!!!!

Postby goldminerusa » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:07 pm

Continuing from a thread i started 5/15. Wingadmins test light question led me to it, sort of. The answer to him is no and to the ohmmeter checks, no again. I`m still using tridon 2 blade flasher with a fused +12 supply. Actually this goes back to the "Honda service manual 1980-1983. The wiring schematic color codes for my 81 standard don`t match my bike, therefore i could`nt just "follow the yellow brick road". I had already rebuilt the dimmer/turn switch that came with the bike, finding the turn sw. itself was bad i got another sw. and harness from a member, rebuilt that, bench tested good, installed, no good. I`m using the srvc man. here to connect everything. Back to the testlight. Getting some correct readings but not in the right wires. ??? Got a different wiring diagram from the web, checked that against the harness and Wammo, the wire color codes/pin locations in the connector are different. I reconfigured the connector (black-9 slot) against the downloaded wiring diagram and the dimmer, turns and horn all worked!!! Using that #$%^&*( "honda" srvc man. cost me nearly a months riding time,100 bucks and ALOT of aggrevation. And, there`s no beeper/buzzer unit on my bike, no matter what the dam book says. Thanks to all who helped on this.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”