Household fuses & wiring

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
trikerbob
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate trike

Household fuses & wiring

Postby trikerbob » Tue May 22, 2012 2:59 pm

Hi guys, I have a 1982 gl1100 this was apparently professionally triked in 1995, my problem is it has 2 rear bumpers with red tail marker lights on both none of which work, also around the top box is 8 amber marker lights none of which work.
I bought this trike on the 14/05/2012 so i have had her 8 days now, on investigation as to why they do not work the wiring looks to be uk telephone wire it is so thin with a lot of breaks in the wire.
Can anyone please tell me what ampage wire to use as under the dummy tank is a fuse box that has got house hold fuses in it, ie 3amp.5amp& 13amp plug fuses. A real nightmare guys.
This is my first motorcycle trike as my previous one was a vw type 1 1200 custom trike.
Any help from my fellow wingers will be really appreciated.
Thanks in advance, trikerbob

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Re: wiring

Postby SilverDave » Wed May 23, 2012 8:23 am

You are kidding !!! ... House hold fuses , and solid phone wire ... agh !!!

Well, for a light bar I would go with at least 16 ga BRAIDED wire... and 10 amp fuses , just for safety ... any short will blow that... so its not going to set your machine on fire ..

Engines shake and rumble a bit... Solid Phone wire is for installations where there will never be any vibrations... Motorcycles must have braided wiring .

You can buy nice little fuse boxes for add-ons:
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=mot ... ORM=IDFRIR

and install the standard, easily available bayonete fuses instead.

If it was my machine, I would not even try to trace the PO's mess... He clearly knew nothing about motorcycle wiring......
I'd go and buy a spool of red wire, and another of black ( braided ) and a smallish fuse box,
and treat the lights as some accessory , and re-wire them all in .. from light to fuse box to the original acc pole

Did he leave the orig. Fuse box still in the machine, when he converted it ??

SilverDave

trikerbob

Re: Household fuses & wiring

Postby trikerbob » Wed May 23, 2012 1:10 pm

Yes he must have took the blown gkass fuses out & replaced them with ordinary household fuses.
I really need to get this sorted by the weekend as i am having a new alarm/ immobiliser fitted on tuesday morning, none of the rnning lights work on the back at all.
I will post pics of the trike later on this evening.

trikerbob

Postby trikerbob » Wed May 23, 2012 2:18 pm

Here is the wiring of thw rear running lights.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed May 23, 2012 2:35 pm

Wow. Shaking my head. I'm just speechless. That's an electrical fire that just hasn't happened yet.

trikerbob

Postby trikerbob » Wed May 23, 2012 3:05 pm

So you can see why i need this sorted out pretty darn quick

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed May 23, 2012 3:33 pm

For the lighting you would likely be safe using 18 gauge wire (at least that's what I would use). The lights in question are not drawing a lot of current.

If you go to the Manuals page, you'll see a document there called "Wire Gauge Calculation" that will give you the correct size based on load and wire length.

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Thu May 24, 2012 10:44 am

trikerbob wrote:Yes he must have took the blown gkass fuses out & replaced them with ordinary household fuses.
I really need to get this sorted by the weekend as i am having a new alarm/ immobiliser fitted on tuesday morning, none of the rnning lights work on the back at all.
I will post pics of the trike later on this evening.

Silver Dave's post suggestion is spot on!! I would also re-do the whole mess. But I would not compromise the quality of work because I was rushed. I would make a different appointment for the new alarm. I have re-wired a few bikes and it can be tedious and time consuming, if you want to get it all done right. One thing I do not like is wiring not done correctly. Not only is it dangerous, but it can also cause damage to other electrical components when there is a short. Take your time. Once you have the wire and connectors and fuse box together, I would guess it would take no more than six hours to get it done right. Or you could just have them install a fire alarm on it as well. ;)

seabee_
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda Goldwing GL1200
117k miles
1977 Kawasaki kz400
1978 Suzuki GSXr750
1980 Kawasaki GPZ400
1975 Honda CB360T

Postby seabee_ » Thu May 24, 2012 5:07 pm

Welcome to the forum, and nice looking bike.

I hope you will be changing them all to the auto fuses and holder. Car fuses and home fuses are very different in the way they react. Car fuses are rated at 12 volts dc, home fuses 100 to 220 volts ac. The fuses may fit, but a car fuse is designed as a 'fast blow' circuit protector. This protects the smaller gauge wires and circuits. The majority of house type fuses are a 'slow blow' circuit protector, designed to allow the initial higher amperage draw when things like motors start up. The wires in homes are also larger in size than in cars.

Still think a fuse is a fuse, whether car or house type? Think of it like this, that 'slow blow' house fuse may take an extra second(or milliseconds, if you want precise) to blow compared to that car fuse. Think of that wire it is supposed to protect, and all that sensitive circuitry that's connected to it. In that split second all that went up in smoke. Now you are replacing wires, circuit boards or that new bike smoldering in the corner of the garage. :o

Oh, and that telephone wire. Man, I love that ingenuity. The PO must have worked at the telephone company. :lol: Like they said above, get yourself some 18 gauge Automotive wire. That telephone wire can't handle the vibration from riding, let alone the current draw. As the old saying goes, 'If you want something done right, do it yourself' :D With the help in this forum you will have it all fixed before you know it.

Sorry if I may have over-explained on the fuse issue, but needed to put it out. A little background on my knowledge on the subject is 20 years working in the Navy as a construction/high voltage electrician, and 38 years working on cars. (see my signature)

Ride safe.
Paul
CE1 Navy Seabees/RET
1981 to 2002
ASE Mechanic

trikerbob

Postby trikerbob » Thu May 24, 2012 6:17 pm

I went to my local bike shop today & got the 18 gauge reel of red & black wire + new fuse box (spade terminals) this weekends job list re run all light wiring to back end, replace bulbs & test.
Also replace neutral light switch as that did not work, until friday evening battery is disconnected & on trickle charge (after topping up with distilled water), new diff oil, engine oil, plugs & filters, drain & refill coolant after flushing radiator(after all 30year old bike).
week off next week going to do some serious triking if all goes well. :lol:

seabee_
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda Goldwing GL1200
117k miles
1977 Kawasaki kz400
1978 Suzuki GSXr750
1980 Kawasaki GPZ400
1975 Honda CB360T

Postby seabee_ » Thu May 24, 2012 7:09 pm

Something you might think about is replacing your light bulbs with LED bulbs. The charging system on these old wings are not the best and if you over tax them with lots of lights and accessories you can lose the alternator. Also, check the white connector located to the left of the battery. It's the one with three yellow wires. The plug is a weak link in the Goldwing charging system. If it hasn't been replaced yet, cut the plug and used heat shrink and solder the wires together. When this plug burns out from excessive heat/current it can fry the charging system. Best to catch these things before they go bad. Here is a good link on this subject.
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/112088.html
Enjoy the new to you 'Wing.
If you haven't already done so, check out the great How To links at the top of the page. ;)
Paul
CE1 Navy Seabees/RET
1981 to 2002
ASE Mechanic

trikerbob

Postby trikerbob » Fri May 25, 2012 3:19 am

Thanks for the input fellow wingers, i am so glad joined this site youve all been really helpful.
Hats off to you all :D

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”