1980 GL1100 rear air ride shocks rebuild question

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Kama
Motorcycle: 1980 Honda Goldwing GL1100

1980 GL1100 rear air ride shocks rebuild question

Postby Kama » Fri May 25, 2012 8:57 pm

I have a quick question on the 1980 air ride shocks. I've got mine apart only to find it has a rubber like material that is building up in the guide and there is no retaining clip installed (any ideas what it could be, I'll add a pic when I get home as I'm on my iPad right now). When I pull up a parts list the retaining clip is not even in the diagram. I only purchased a seal because it has been sitting and leaking down the shaft. So is that retaining clip nessesary since its not in the parts list? If it is, does anyone have a part number or any way I can order one? I read some other threads and there is one from Ronnie's that has a pic of the clip in it, but even when I pulled up the diagram On their page it does not show the clip or give any ref to a part number.

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Re: 1980 GL1100 rear air ride shocks rebuild question

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Fri May 25, 2012 9:21 pm

The retaining clip is a c-clip.Go to any motorcycle parts store online-bikebandits-and look up your machine-rear cousion,I think they call it.you will see a diagram on how the parts assemble-and all the parts you will need.I belive for each shock you will need two backing rings,one seal, and one bush (or guide as it is sometimes called) and the c-clip.And some ATF.Sounds like to me your shock is dirty-clean it up and look for scoring on the upper shaft,replace as nessasary.Also replace rubber boots-if needed.There is a diy out there somewhere.Not a big deal- if you do the homework.Regards,Johnyy

Kama

Postby Kama » Fri May 25, 2012 9:57 pm

The retaining ring on the bottom is the ring I'm talking about in my last picture, not the circlip. But I did find it, it was for some reason pushed up higher in the shock about an inch and I had to dig it out with a dental pick. Here is a picture of the guide I was talking about. The material has the texture of rotted rubber but I'm not sure. It's not any type of dirt but I'll just clean up what I can and reinstall. By the way, thank you for the reply Johnyy.
Attachments
Shock Body
Shock Body
Guide
Guide
Assembly Photo
Assembly Photo

prc
Motorcycle: 82 GL1100
2011 KLR 650

Postby prc » Wed May 30, 2012 5:49 am

I have an 82 1100, my shock looks identical to yours and I have mine apart for new seals and oil.
Im wondering wondering where that "wire" type retaining ring sits when properly installed in the shock.
The photo of your shock has the ring sitting at the top of all the other parts, thats great but do you know where in the shock its supposed to be?
Attached is my shock showing the ring at the far left.
Thanks for any help.
prc
Attachments

Kama

Postby Kama » Wed May 30, 2012 5:55 am

prc wrote:I have an 82 1100, my shock looks identical to yours and I have mine apart for new seals and oil.
Im wondering wondering where that "wire" type retaining ring sits when properly installed in the shock.
The photo of your shock has the ring sitting at the top of all the other parts, thats great but do you know where in the shock its supposed to be?
Attached is my shock showing the ring at the far left.
Thanks for any help.
prc

There is a small groove almost even with the internal spring inside the shock. It should sit right in that groove. You should be able to look down inside and see it.

prc
2011 KLR 650

Postby prc » Wed May 30, 2012 1:55 pm

Thanks, I will go check it out later.
prc

prc
2011 KLR 650

Postby prc » Wed May 30, 2012 3:17 pm

Kama,
OK, I see the groove, I am going to assume that the ring goes in before the rest of the parts, seal and such.
It looks like the ring sits on "top" of the spring, although it appears to be smaller in diameter than the spring so I guess its there to keep the rest of the parts from contacting the bottom of the spring?
I am going to take a few more photos of this procedure for future reference.

When I removed the shock and had it blown open with compressed air, the ring was just floating around with the rest of the parts, not in its groove, so I wasnt sure where the ring was supposed to be.
Thanks for your help.
prc

Kama

Postby Kama » Wed May 30, 2012 4:54 pm

Not a prob, I'm still in a learning phase as well so I'm glad I could help. Me and my shocks had dinner this past weekend so we got very well acquainted! Lol, good luck with everything else!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”