1100 final drive bolt torque issue.

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
dogdoggybob
Motorcycle: 1983 gl 1100 I runner
78 naked project
80 naked project

1100 final drive bolt torque issue.

Postby dogdoggybob » Sat May 26, 2012 1:26 am

I put a new tire on my 83 1100 I. I had no luck getting a socket on the 3 nuts that hold the final drive to the drive shaft/swingarm.

I tightened them good, but without a torque wrench.

Anyone else have this problem?

So if you can't get a socket on a bolt and you really need to have that torque value peace of mind is there a way to convert an open end wrench to work in conjunction with a big torque wrench?

I've seen those open end wrench ends that fit on a ratchet at Sears - wondering if maybe one of those might be the ticket.

Or maybe a really thin walled socket?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 1100 final drive bolt torque issue.

Postby WingAdmin » Tue May 29, 2012 9:16 am

It's easier than you think. There's other ways of measuring torque than just using a torque wrench.

How I do it: I use a 12-inch long wrench, and a luggage scale from Harbor Freight:

The nuts need to be torqued to 29 ft-lb. So I put the wrench on the nut, and on the other end of the wrench, I hook the scale. Lift the scale until it shows 29 lbs...and you're done:

You must make sure you are applying force at a right angle, so you aren't pulling the end of the wrench inward or outward:

Torque Wrench replacement
Torque Wrench replacement

If your wrench isn't exactly 12 inches, you can get around that as well. Use the formula:

X = (12 / Y) * Z

Where Y is the length of your wrench in inches, Z is the torque the fastener requires (in ft-lb), X will be the number of pounds to have show on the scale fastened to the end of the wrench. Let's say you needed to tighten your 29 ft-lb nut with a wrench that is only 8 inches long:

X = (12 / 8) * 29
X = (1.5) * 29
X = 43.5

So you would hook your scale to the end of your 8 inch wrench, lift until you see 43.5 lbs show, and at that point, your fastener is tightened to 29 ft-lb.

dogdoggybob
78 naked project
80 naked project

Postby dogdoggybob » Tue May 29, 2012 11:38 pm

I like it.

very dumb question...tho

I don't quite understand how lifting the scale on the end of the wrench torques the nut.

obviously it doesn't. correct? you are pulling on the wrench no, until the scale reaches the reading not the other way around? Do you hook the scale to something?

I don't see how you could apply enough force to turn a nut by lifting that scale attached to the end of the wrench.

I'd know it if I see it - I just don't see it in words.

thanks

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed May 30, 2012 9:19 am

dogdoggybob wrote:I like it.

very dumb question...tho

I don't quite understand how lifting the scale on the end of the wrench torques the nut.

obviously it doesn't. correct? you are pulling on the wrench no, until the scale reaches the reading not the other way around? Do you hook the scale to something?

I don't see how you could apply enough force to turn a nut by lifting that scale attached to the end of the wrench.

I'd know it if I see it - I just don't see it in words.

thanks

It does torque the nut. You attach the scale to the end of the wrench, then pull the scale up until it reads the correct value. It will pull the wrench, and torque the fastener. When you read the correct value on the scale, the fastener is torqued to the correct amount. It's exactly the same thing a torque wrench does.

dogdoggybob
78 naked project
80 naked project

Postby dogdoggybob » Thu May 31, 2012 3:44 am

Thanks!

I will check it out.

going to harbor freight manana.

:D :D :D

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Thu May 31, 2012 12:24 pm

WingAdmin wrote:It's easier than you think. There's other ways of measuring torque than just using a torque wrench.

How I do it: I use a 12-inch long wrench, and a luggage scale from Harbor Freight:

The nuts need to be torqued to 29 ft-lb. So I put the wrench on the nut, and on the other end of the wrench, I hook the scale. Lift the scale until it shows 29 lbs...and you're done:

You must make sure you are applying force at a right angle, so you aren't pulling the end of the wrench inward or outward:

Torque.gif

If your wrench isn't exactly 12 inches, you can get around that as well. Use the formula:

X = (12 / Y) * Z

Where Y is the length of your wrench in inches, Z is the torque the fastener requires (in ft-lb), X will be the number of pounds to have show on the scale fastened to the end of the wrench. Let's say you needed to tighten your 29 ft-lb nut with a wrench that is only 8 inches long:

X = (12 / 8) * 29
X = (1.5) * 29
X = 43.5

So you would hook your scale to the end of your 8 inch wrench, lift until you see 43.5 lbs show, and at that point, your fastener is tightened to 29 ft-lb.

This is a GREAT tip. I looked a little bit around this site and didn't find a "Tips and Tricks" section, but this would be a great one to start a Tips and Tricks section. Just a thought. Thanks Wingman.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”