RPM and gear speed

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
greggr
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

RPM and gear speed

Postby greggr » Sat May 26, 2012 11:38 am

I recently purchased a 1981 Goldwing GL1100 Interstate. I am running 5000 RPM @ 70 MPH in 5th gear. Is this normal or should I check the clutch asembly?, drive shaft? It seems to be winding out, or am I worried about nothing?

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: RPM and gear speed

Postby RBGERSON » Sat May 26, 2012 12:43 pm

That's Ok.............
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Sun May 27, 2012 12:21 am

That sounds about right, notice how high the red line is? These engines like to spin up and will pull hard right upto the redline. try dropping to 3rd gear and pass at 60 mph and let it rev to redline before shifting. It will really surprise you. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

Manuel67
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Postby Manuel67 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:03 pm

I just took my 83 Interstate for a spin after 2 months of working on it to make her road worthy, now she has 2 new Metzler tires, complete fork rebuild with bushings and O-rings, starter solenoid, tach cable, valve covers gaskets, battery, full tuneup with all filters replaced, timing belts, all fluids replaced, rotors and pads, windshield, I used seafoam on the carbs etc, you get the idea, it was a lot of work, cleaning, degrease and grease again so I took her on the hwy and she shows 70MPH @ 4000RPM, she has 150400 Miles on it and the clutch is original.

Now this is my first wing so I am not sure how hard the GL1100 pulls, my last bike was v45 Sabre and that thing pulls hard all the way to the red line and wants to keep going, I am a little afraid to push this one so hard because of the mileage and that I need to trust the bike before I try to break any speed land record, what do you think guys?

timwingard

Postby timwingard » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:37 pm

I recently did the same thing you did, got a 81 GL1100 and fixed it up and began riding it a couple months ago. At 55 mph I start looking for sixth gear and there isn't one. This model seems best when it runs at about 50mph. Of course it will run at the higher RPMs but I don't call that relaxing. 20 years or so ago I had what must have been the 83 model because I drove it across country and I don't remember ever having the same feeling. The 83s have better gearing I understand.

With only 85 mph on the speedometer, that must be telling us something.

I also have a 2004 1200C Harley Sportster. I am looking for 6th on it too but at more like 60mph. It gets up to speed a lot faster than the goldwing, is easier and more fun to ride around town, but doesn't compare to the comfort when crusing on the goldwing on a back road at 50mph.

eklimek
Motorcycle: 81 GL1100 (Widowmaker not in service), 83GL1100, CB350f x 6, CB400f x2, CB550f sold, CL350 (seized engine), plus enough donors to take me through retirement.

Postby eklimek » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:45 pm

So you drive a GL1100 and wonder why it seems so good at 50 mph?

According to the Committee on Accident and Poison Prevention, "When the 55 mph national speed limit became a law in 1973, the first significant reduction in the number of highway deaths in this country occurred" (Holroyd, 1979, p. 1).

The need to modify the law became more apparent in the 1980's. In 1981, with the energy crisis in retreat, Ronald Reagan deregulated oil and gas, causing prices to plummet (Moore, 1999, p. 7).

Despite strong opposition from insurance, medical, and safety groups, the Highway Funding Bill of 1987 repealed the speed limit law and allowed some states to increase their speed limit to 65 miles per hour.

Ref http://www.squidoo.com/55-mph-speed-limit

greggr

Postby greggr » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:53 pm

Thank yo all for the replies. I really want to take the bike on the hour drive to work, however, I too feel a little uncomfortable winding up the RPMs to flow with traffic.

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:04 am

greggr wrote:Thank you all for the replies. I really want to take the bike on the hour drive to work, however, I too feel a little uncomfortable winding up the RPMs to flow with traffic.

Hi Greggr. Do you feel uncomfortable because of the original clutch? You did some really great work on your bike to make it road worthy. You have to do what is comfortable for you. Riding isn't about stressing at higher speeds. With my 82 1100, the red line is high, and I never get to it, but it is how they are made. The high rpms don't hurt it, it is by design. Mine cruises very smooth at 75 mph at about 5000 rpms. My friend has a Victory, and when she is at 75 mph, the rpms are about 3000. Her speedometer goes to 200 mph, and her tach only goes to 6000. Different design. I personally don't believe the higher rpms hurt the engine at all. If it's the clutch you're worried about, I understand. Keep the oil changed regularly, and ride with care, these clutches seem to last forever. If it's a safety concern going that fast, you have to do what is most comfortable.

Manuel67
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Postby Manuel67 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:12 am

patbrandon1 wrote:
greggr wrote:Thank you all for the replies. I really want to take the bike on the hour drive to work, however, I too feel a little uncomfortable winding up the RPMs to flow with traffic.

Hi Greggr. Do you feel uncomfortable because of the original clutch? You did some really great work on your bike to make it road worthy. You have to do what is comfortable for you. Riding isn't about stressing at higher speeds. With my 82 1100, the red line is high, and I never get to it, but it is how they are made. The high rpms don't hurt it, it is by design. Mine cruises very smooth at 75 mph at about 5000 rpms. My friend has a Victory, and when she is at 75 mph, the rpms are about 3000. Her speedometer goes to 200 mph, and her tach only goes to 6000. Different design. I personally don't believe the higher rpms hurt the engine at all. If it's the clutch you're worried about, I understand. Keep the oil changed regularly, and ride with care, these clutches seem to last forever. If it's a safety concern going that fast, you have to do what is most comfortable.

Hi Patbrandon

Yes I know what you mean, for me riding a higher speed than 70 -75 MPH on my renewed 83 Interstate is a matter of safety because the age of the bike and the mileage, I am in Canada so my Kms are quite high for a motorcycle 242000 Kms and change, I traded my V45 with just 16K miles on it for the wing because I love long distance riding and the V45 was fast and nimble but not comfortable at least for me, the bike was too light so the windshield was an issue with the cross winds here in Southern Ontario where at times I had to find the nearest exit on the hwy because the bike was about to take off with the wind< I always been in love with the Goldwings but I could not afford one so the opportunity for an even trade came across my path and I took it, I knew that the V45 was in a way better shape almost like showroom condition and than the wing will take some hard TLC to be able to go on the road but my love and passion for greasy finger nails and sore knees had more power than common sense ;) So here she is 8 weeks after I practically got her apart in pieces, the only thing that I did not do was removing the engine but for everything else, I pretty much submerged most parts in DUNK solution and soaked them for weeks getting whatever part I could find from Honda, Amazon & ebay, even the exhaust the left one is from an ebay donor almost brand new the right side was repaired and re-welded. I have been taking her out (her name is Brownie by the way) :D :D seafoam seems to be working it's magic on the carbs,I did not pulled the carbs out, did not wanted to mess with it unless is absolutely necessary because I will need new O-rings etc that are hard to get here in Canada, found them in the States but man the shipping is such a rip-off that I decided to Seafoam the hell out of the carbs and is been working fine, the engine does not blow smoke at all and sounds ok, I will do a valve adjustment and carb synch once I put a good 1000 Miles on it to make sure that carbs are cleaned out and that lifters etc are working freely. I have put a few hundred miles since the resurrection on it and I will recheck all bolts etc tomorrow to make sure she is OK and up to the task of a 400 miles trip this weekend. I also noticed that I get some sound coming out the primary chain when I am taking off sometimes, it seems that she was starving for gas a bit, so I did a Seafoam idle cloud show and she seems way better now, the rest is up to the Seafoam in the tank to keep cleaning the jets etc, according to the previous owner those carbs are stock and never been removed and I could tell by the amount of crap on the external links, I had to use the Oral-B technique, brake cleaner and lots of brushing action until all parts where moving freely and the throttle became useful again :D

Some people are telling me not to worry about the mileage because those engines are known to go well beyond 300K miles and in some cases even double that impressive record, there is one guy on youtube that claims to have 1.1 Million Miles on his Interstate with original engine, I am not sure about that but what it is for sure is that Honda Goldwings are not an average motorcycle, they are pieces of art on wheels and we are privileged to own those rare artifacts that in some cases defeat logic and bring so many smiles into out lives. Well so far in a few hundred KM Brownie has managed to capture my heart, she glides into the turns, it is very smooth and for an old lady she has class, I will keep you guy posted on her development.

Safe Riding to ALL

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:08 pm

I rode my 1100 at 65-70 mph all day long. You get used to the higher revs - it's just what this engine likes to do. You will see a precipitous drop in fuel efficiency above 65 mph, however.

Incidentally, just because the speedometer only goes to 85, doesn't mean that's the bike's top speed. Not even close. :)

patbrandon1
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:05 pm

Manuel67,

I like hearing stories from Wing lovers. It takes some work to get them sound, but once you do, it is smooth sailin. In your post you stated..."I get some sound coming out the primary chain when I am taking off sometimes, it seems that she was starving for gas a bit, so I did a Seafoam idle cloud show and she seems way better now,"... Does it sound a bit like a few marbles rolling around in the engine? The seafoam will help for sure, but what helped me most with that noise was syncing the carbs. In the how to in the DIY section, WingAdmin shows a great step by step of how to do that. I am cheap and only had two vacuum gauges, and didn't want to buy two more yet. With the two Vacuum gauges, I sync 1 to 3, then 2 to 4, then 4 to 3. Works okay this way, but with 4 gauges it would be quicker, not having to switch hoses around. But after I synced the carbs, that marble noise almost totally never happens, unless I don't give it enough fuel when taking off.

Have fun on your trip, and ride safe.

eklimek
Motorcycle: 81 GL1100 (Widowmaker not in service), 83GL1100, CB350f x 6, CB400f x2, CB550f sold, CL350 (seized engine), plus enough donors to take me through retirement.

Postby eklimek » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:27 pm

The speed limit here is 100 k/hr. The actual speed driven is 118 -119 k/hr which is considered under the threshold for ticketing. That turns into 73.9 mph in the middle lane during the work day commute. Toyota Corolla turns under 3,000 rpm at that speed.

Has any one thought of some way to cheaply give the goldwing longer legs?

patbrandon1
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:08 am

eklimek wrote:The speed limit here is 100 k/hr. The actual speed driven is 118 -119 k/hr which is considered under the threshold for ticketing. That turns into 73.9 mph in the middle lane during the work day commute. Toyota Corolla turns under 3,000 rpm at that speed.

Has any one thought of some way to cheaply give the goldwing longer legs?

After seeing your post, I looked around the net to see if this had been done. I couldn't find one thing in this area. I think the reason is that the higher RPMs isn't a problem for these bikes. I cruise between 70 and 80 mph every day, about 300 miles per week on my 82 1100. I keep the oil changed very regularly, and all other pm stuff. My F-150 tacs at 3000 going 70 mph, but the pistons are way bigger, and there are two more of them. The higher rpms for my bike are not a problem for it at all. That is the way they roll. I have 79,000 plus on mine, and it still purrs like a kitten. My friend has 150,000 plus on his, and we ride a lot together, going upwards of 90 mph once in a while. I think I couldn't find anything about getting these longer legs because they don't need them. Given proper care these motors outlast almost anything.

eklimek

Postby eklimek » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:21 am

Patbrandon

I accept all that you write as reasonable.

Individual Piston travel distance is the rate limiting step for longevity, all other things being equal. This travel distance is reduced with decreased stroke or taller gears (lower rpms). Given these vehicles are nutured and already far exceed the life expectancy of others it seems hardly worth pursuing. They are stellar pieces of engineering. But I still wish they were less busy at speed.

goldminerusa
Motorcycle: 1982 gl 1100standard, 1983 1000c

Postby goldminerusa » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:55 pm

Reading this post while holding my dropped jaw! Long story short, i`m just starting to ride my `82 1100 standard with 64k mi`s on the clock. This bike has 19" front and 17" rear wheels and the engine is loping along at 3500 rpm at 70mph. I`m new to wings and liquid cooled engines so i`ve got no baseline. As of this writing i cant imagine redline shifts thru the gears on this bike. I`m going to need a 150 mph speedo if what you guys are saying here is true. As far as the original post writers question, if he changes rim size shouldn`t that reduce the rpm? Thats the goal isn`t it? Or is it because he`s riding with a fairing and bags and hence a higher drag coeffient?

patbrandon1
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:08 am

goldminerusa wrote:Reading this post while holding my dropped jaw! Long story short, i`m just starting to ride my `82 1100 standard with 64k mi`s on the clock. This bike has 19" front and 17" rear wheels and the engine is loping along at 3500 rpm at 70mph. I`m new to wings and liquid cooled engines so i`ve got no baseline. As of this writing i cant imagine redline shifts thru the gears on this bike. I`m going to need a 150 mph speedo if what you guys are saying here is true. As far as the original post writers question, if he changes rim size shouldn`t that reduce the rpm? Thats the goal isn`t it? Or is it because he`s riding with a fairing and bags and hence a higher drag coeffient?

My 82 1100 Interstate is at 4100 RPM's at 70 MPH. I believe the fairing and full dress do add to the drag coefficient. The original poster's concern with 5000 at 70 MPH is what I think he was questioning. He just wanted to know if there should be a concern. I don't believe it is a concern. I'm half way to red line at 70, and hit 90 mph often at about 5500 RPM. His transmission is a bit different than mine, but he is still just slightly above half way to red line at 70. Changing rim size is not a good idea with these bikes. There is no need to lower the RPM's. Keep the fluids changed regularly, and the other preventative maintenance, and you will wiz down into the sunset for many, many miles.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:28 am

Well I just have to chime in to this. I have a 76 and I ride it because of the performance at high rpm. I almost never ride it without running through the gears to red line at least once. The speed vs rpm is almost identical to the 1100. 70 mph is 4200 rpm. I have been on extended trips 2 up pulling a trailer and cruised at 80 to 85 mph all day long. This bike loves high rpms. Period. What it doesn't like is puttering along below 3000 rpms. Mechanically you aren't doing it any favors by lugging the engine.
Now as for your original question I don't think 5000 rpm at 70mph is normal. seems kinda high to me for any 1100.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

eklimek

Postby eklimek » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:00 am

This issue has been discussed in other venues and some aspects are generalizable to the honda motor of the goldwing.

"Operating at minimum RPM and maximum MP (within the allowable envelope) actually helps your engine last longer. Low RPM operation provides numerous benefits: better cylinder compression, lower frictional losses, improved propeller efficiency, cooler-running valves, lower EGTs and TIT's, and a quieter cabin."

http://www.avweb.com/news/maint/182849-1.html

Extending engine life and time befor overhaul see -

http://www.aviationtoday.com/am/categor ... s_509.html

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:02 am

The RPM's will run higher on the 80-81 fella's because the 82-83 has a diferent gear ratio...They made a change.. :D

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:07 am

eklimek wrote:This issue has been discussed in other venues and some aspects are generalizable to the honda motor of the goldwing.

"Operating at minimum RPM and maximum MP (within the allowable envelope) actually helps your engine last longer. Low RPM operation provides numerous benefits: better cylinder compression, lower frictional losses, improved propeller efficiency, cooler-running valves, lower EGTs and ****, and a quieter cabin."

http://www.avweb.com/news/maint/182849-1.html

Extending engine life and time befor overhaul see -

http://www.aviationtoday.com/am/categor ... s_509.html

Can you lug an aircraft engine? I guess, if your flying 50 mph in 5th gear. :lol: ;)
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

bbells
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

Postby bbells » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:57 pm

You might want to check your speedometer. Mine is 10% low. So, if I am riding 70mph I am actually going 77mph. Yours may be similar.

goldminerusa
Motorcycle: 1982 gl 1100standard, 1983 1000c

Postby goldminerusa » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:16 pm

Bbells. I hope officer oboy didn`t inform you of that discrepency while giving you a ticket.

bbells
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

Postby bbells » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:48 am

Funny. Years ago he would have and I would have called him a liar. Nope, testing a couple gps's to see which of them works best on the bike. None of them were very visible by the way. So I removed the useless Aspencade compressor controls (saved them for possible future use) and replaced then with the bottom half of an index card holder box. I then cut the other half so I could use it as a half door. Velcroed my gps inside, now I can see it.

Livingthedream
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Naked Standard

Postby Livingthedream » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:53 pm

Hi everyone,

First of all... you all kick ass:) Just took my 1981 gl1100 naked standard for our first ride ever. LOVED IT .. but I was also concerned about the high rpms when going 80 - 110 kms per hr. It was very reasuring to read all your posts and hear it from people who know first hand. Just joined this site and hope to ask some questions and hopefully give some answers of my own.

Question: I have oil leaking from my final drive, right side of the rear wheel rim gets many drips and splats. I notices my drive doesn't have the valve on top for pressure release. I changes the dirty black watery oil with some clean new 75 w 90. I was surprised to see the case was still filled right up but just really in need of a change. Any way to fix leak this without removing the rear wheel, or is a seal replacement the only option. I appriciate any and all input on this topic please and thanks :)

scotterichmond
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000
[img]http://images.goldwingdocs.com/scotterichmond_32376/Modestly_restored_1975_GL1000_750/engine_repainted_even_new_embl_3919.jpg[/img]

Postby scotterichmond » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:20 am

do you know the gl 1100 (and the 1000) are over square engines. that means the bore is larger than the stroke, that is why they are ok the rev high. run it and let the good time roll. oh sorry that was kawasaki's line huh?

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”