hesitation under load

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100I

hesitation under load

Postby oldgold82 » Mon May 28, 2012 6:03 am

Hello everybody. I'm happy to say I bought my first goldwing last month, an 82 Interstate. Up until about a week ago I didn't have any run problems with it and have put around 700 miles on it already with only the rear master cylinder getting plugged up (I used the DIY section to fix it, awesome BTW). Now, I have a stumbling problem at low rpm with a load. The bike seems to idle fine as it always has, but now when I take off it stumbles a bit until it gains some rpm. If I am in a higher gear and rpm is around 2k it will stumble quite badly, but runs fine when it gets to about 4k and actually runs quite strong. I've been reading posts to see if anyone else has had this problem but it doesn't appear so. I have also noticed that my choke cable is very hard to pull out, and I wonder if something in the choke is binding and causeing the choke to stay partialy on. The bike has a 101k on it but it has been well taken care of mechanically. I have not put any sea foam through it yet but it is also on my list, just had a string of crummy weather latley and haven't had the chance. Also, does anyone know if our carbs have a accelerater pump? I found a post that said these get sticky sometimes, I didn't think MC carbs had accelerater pumps. Any ideas or thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: hesitation under load

Postby RBGERSON » Mon May 28, 2012 8:28 am

Lots of possibilities..sticking slides, dirty jets, vacuum leak, floats to low or sticking.
Try some sea foam for a tank or two..will help clean carbs a bit..

Also these bikes like to run above 3500 RPM's giving them a lot of gas under 2500 and anything but 1st gear..they choke..stumble.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”