Timing belts, again

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
glasshead
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Interstate

Timing belts, again

Postby glasshead » Mon May 28, 2012 9:26 pm

I know this topic has been addressed a long time ago, I read and re-read several posts on how to change the timing belts for months now. I finally took the plunge and tried changing mine on my 83 Interstate today. I may or may not have a problem. I got it on T 1, loosened the valves all the way, clamped both pulleys, BUT DID NOT clamp the middle pulley where both belts come together. I DID mark the spot on the middle pulley. About the time I slipped the old belts off, my nice but very talkative neighbor came over,looked over my shoulder, (as usual) and talked to me for the next half hour. I was distracted to the point that I did not notice that the middle pulley moved a half inch or so to the right (facing the front of the bike). Luckily he left before I got any further because I noticed it before I un-clamped either of the side pulleys. I took the belts back off, moved the middle pulley back by hand, clamped it and put the belts back on.
I have two concerns I need to clarify before I go any further. The left pulley (true left) belt is tight at the bottom, as the directions say. But the right pulley belt is loose at the bottom. It was not clear to me if that is normal. But the most troubling thing is that as I was putting the timing mark cap back in place to keep it safe until I can get back to the job, I noticed that it is no longer on T 1. I assume it moved when the middle pulley moved, but did not move back when I turned the pulley by hand.

I still have all three pulleys clamped. New belts on and tensioners completely loose. What should I do next??

Sorry for bringing up OLD stuff, but I can't find the post that had all the questions like this at the end.
rich

seabee_
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda Goldwing GL1200
117k miles
1977 Kawasaki kz400
1978 Suzuki GSXr750
1980 Kawasaki GPZ400
1975 Honda CB360T

Re: Timing belts, again

Postby seabee_ » Tue May 29, 2012 12:55 am

I would tighten things down and rotate the motor just a little either direction to see if the T1 mark shows. It might be off to the side just a bit. Then I would check your belt timing marks to see where they are and post back your findings. MOST IMPORTANT, when everything is back together except the belt cover, rotate the motor completely a couple revolutions to make sure nothing is binding. Do this before starting the motor.
Paul
CE1 Navy Seabees/RET
1981 to 2002
ASE Mechanic

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue May 29, 2012 9:51 am

The middle pulley is directly mated to the engine crankshaft, and it is on a keyed shaft (so it cannot turn without the engine crankshaft turning, and vice versa). The T-1 mark you see is actually on the engine flywheel, which is also directly mated to the engine crankshaft, and cannot turn without the engine crankshaft turning. So my guess is that you may be mistaken about the T-1 mark not moving when the pulley is moved, as there really is no way for this to happen.

As for the belts, the left belt should be tight on the bottom, and the right belt should be tight at the top. The left top and right bottom will be loose, as this looseness is what the tensioner pulleys are designed to take up. Once the pulleys are moved into their correct positions, the belts will be tight all around:

GL1100 Timing Belts
GL1100 Timing Belts

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Tue May 29, 2012 12:29 pm

watch this.

glasshead
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Interstate

Postby glasshead » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:53 pm

I didn't mean to take this long to say...I got 'er done!! The one thing that gave me fits though..I used the 'clamp both pulleys' method. But the left pulley was always one tooth off, no matter how many times I re did it. Finally I just un-clamped both pulley's and discovered that the left pulley also moves when you take the old belts off. I could hold it in place while putting the new belt on and it lined up exactly. Another amateur mechanic success story. Thanx guys.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:55 am

Yeah I can see how that would give you fits,, that would give anyone a fit, Cam pullies have to be on their marks proper before you clamp them down,, I have never had to back off my valves for any reason doing this, nothing moves :shock: ... glad you got it...Should have been done in about 10 minutes ... :lol: Keep your neighbor away.. Garlic or something... :lol: For anyone using this method, it's a good method providing you are correct on every mark before starting... :shock: If you are off a tooth you will still be off a tooth is what I'm saying, if it's proper like it should be then it will be proper changing them this way...

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”