Restoring my Grandfathers 1980 GL1100

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Kama
Motorcycle: 1980 Honda Goldwing GL1100

Restoring my Grandfathers 1980 GL1100

Postby Kama » Mon May 28, 2012 10:01 pm

OK, so my grandfather's 1980 GL1100 has been sitting since I was in my teens (12+ years) and I decided to break it out and get it up and going again.

I'm removing the fairing and back bags to lighten it up and take it back to more of a street bike look as opposed to a cruiser. The issue I'm having is I have none of the OEM lights to replace back on the front and rear. I've been ebaying and parts searching as much as possible but finding all of the parts is proving to be really difficult.

This leads me to ask if any of you that had to make mounts or purchase aftermarket mounts had any pics or information that would help lead me in the right direction and give me some options, or if any of you have any parts that you might be willing to part with that could help as well. I'm not above using other than OEM if I must, but I'd like to have a game plan before I dive headfirst into buying parts as to not waste any money.

Any and all information is much appreciated and if you'd like to send me pics just post them on here or you can email them to me. I've just about got it road worthy so I'm getting down to cruch time on what direction I'm going to take.

Thanks,

Greg

D2D
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000 (sold)
1977 GL1000 (sold)
1978 GL1000
1979 GL1000
1982 GL1100

Re: Restoring my Grandfathers 1980 GL1100

Postby D2D » Tue May 29, 2012 6:30 am

Why don't you list what you are looking for in the wanted section? When you do mention whether you are searching for OEM parts or crossovers that will work for what you are trying to build. For example: the 1100 directionals are square shaped; but those of other years will fit and work just as well.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Tue May 29, 2012 7:57 am

depends if you want OEM or just something that fits and works..headlight after market on Ebay $40, ears $30, and rear turn signals $20 each. Just save all the wires harnesses and wires from the fairing and bags..should plug right up
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Kama

Postby Kama » Tue May 29, 2012 8:28 am

The hardest part is just knowing every little piece that I need and what it's called (like the wire covers that fill the space from the blinker to the brake light mount and the bar that says Honda between the front blinkers). The parts catalogs online are cut up so finding names and matching up pieces is proving quite difficult and why I was looking for a little help. I don't want it to "just work" as that was the guys motto who wired all the bags and fairing by stripping and twisting the wire together. I'm electrician so the wiring part is easy it's just getting the pieces and making it look clean that I'm working towards.

I'll try to get some pics so maybe a few guys can help me come up with a list of parts I need.

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Tue May 29, 2012 4:46 pm

Just a suggestion-perhapes you might want to get it so you can crank it over and check compression-and get her running first to determine if it worth (or able) to be restored before buying parts to make it naked.If the bike has been sitting that long and has good compression-there are going to be a LOT of issues to get cleared up before she is road worthy.Many,many o-rings will need to be replaced-maybe water pump,for sure timing belts,etc,etc.Regards,Johnyy

Kama

Postby Kama » Tue May 29, 2012 6:13 pm

Johnyy Smoke wrote:Just a suggestion-perhapes you might want to get it so you can crank it over and check compression-and get her running first to determine if it worth (or able) to be restored before buying parts to make it naked.If the bike has been sitting that long and has good compression-there are going to be a LOT of issues to get cleared up before she is road worthy.Many,many o-rings will need to be replaced-maybe water pump,for sure timing belts,etc,etc.Regards,Johnyy

I already have it running, it was the first task I tackled. I've gotta get a carb rebuild on her since she won't idle, but other than that the motor running well. I then went through all of the electrical to make sure all the gauges were working and repaired the ones that were not. I'm going through the brakes now and I'm caliper seals away from having that a go as well. Once I'm done with that I'm moving on to the road stuff to make her legal again. That's why I'm trying to get an idea of the best way to proceed that way I can get the funds gathered as well that way they are spent in the most affective way possible.

I have a bit of background working with small motors as I raced ATV's in my younger days, but I just wanna make sure I approach it all the correct way by gathering as much knowledge as possible kinda like the old saying measure twice cut once. Just wanting to make sure I cover all avenues. But again, all suggestions and help is much appreciated as there are still some details I could miss that your all's experience might cover. :)

robertket
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 goldwing interstate

Postby robertket » Tue May 29, 2012 10:23 pm

good luck on your restoration I am starting a similar project myself just for your info there is a 81 goldwing on craigslist (little rock) ar running for sale for $1000.00 might be a way to get what you need to finnish your project

Kama

Postby Kama » Tue May 29, 2012 10:59 pm

Here is a quick question, what is the fork tube diameter where the stock GL headlight mount mounts? I found some aftermarket mounts for the headlights and I think I'm gonna go with drop blinkers off the bars or maybe out the side of the new mounts. I'm not above making a new harness to mate with the stock one. That will be much easier to do than bidding on ebay. I'm tired of finding a good deal only to have someone run it up on me. The one bad thing about ebay. :lol:

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”