fork weight question

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
binder49
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Goldwing

fork weight question

Postby binder49 » Wed May 30, 2012 8:33 pm

What exactly does the fork weight do. I have a GL1100 with Vetter fairing, would I have any benifet to putting one on my bike. I have a bit of slower speed wobble, was told that would fix it. Any ideas.

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: fork weight question

Postby tfdeputydawg » Thu May 31, 2012 8:23 am

Dumb? What are you talking about? Can you describe what you mean by "fork weight"?
I mean my question is dumb, not yours!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu May 31, 2012 10:29 am

The fork weight is a weight that hangs off the front of the forks:

The fork weight is mounted on the front of the steering head on Goldwings with fairings. Goldwings that do not have fairings have the headlight mounted on the front of the steering head. The headlight assembly gives the steering head mass (inertia), and lowers its resonant frequency below that which would be induced by normal tire movement, and cause an uncontrollable speed wobble.

Because the faired Goldwing has the headlight mounted in the fairing, the steering head needs to have a weight added to it to provide that mass in place of the headlight assembly. That is why there are all kinds of warnings (including the warning casted right into the weight itself) not to ride the bike without that weight installed - without it, you could end up with uncontrollable tank-slapper that would end in a crash.

The fork weight is mounted on the front of the forks, near the bottom of the fairing. It's a ridged steel block, 3 or 4 pounds if I recall. You can see it in the picture, where the arrow is pointing (click the image for full size).

Are you getting the wobble only when decelerating with hands off the handlebars? If so, then there's no point in chasing it down - almost all of the 1100 and later Wings do it, even the 1800's. In that case, the solution is easy: keep your hands on the handlebars. Your hands and arms are performing the same job as the weight - lowering the resonant frequency of the handlebar system.

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:41 am

Thanks for the explanation

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”