Throttle has play in it...

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Angdvl089
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Naked

Throttle has play in it...

Postby Angdvl089 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:47 pm

So happy to find this forum! I was given a 1983 Gl1100 from my father last summer that I only rode for a few months. Just started riding again a few weeks ago and I'm noticing some things that might need adjusting. I plan on doing an oil change soon and possibly a coolant flush (noticed a nasty brown paste leaking from the radiator first warm-up).

Anyway, one of the big things I'd like to play with is the throttle. It feels as though there is about a quarter of an inch of play from where the throttle is all the way forward until it meets resistance and starts revving the engine. Is there a simple fix for this like there is for the clutch cable?

I plan on making great use of the DIY section of this forum, however I couldn't find anything about throttle adjustment in that section or through a search.

Andrew

moffat
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100
Interstate

Re: Throttle has play in it...

Postby moffat » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:38 am

There are two cables on the throttle, one opens and one closes.
There is a adjustment on the cable near the twistgrip and another one half way along the cable which can only be accessed via the dummy tank. You will have to remove the airfilter assembly to get at properly.

Angdvl089
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Naked

Re: Throttle has play in it...

Postby Angdvl089 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:47 am

Thanks for the help. I just got a Clymer maintenance book so that should be able to help as well.

Andrew

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”