Front master cylinder and muffler problem

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
cjeffers9
Motorcycle: 1978 gl 1000 1982 gl1100 aspencade 1989 gl1500

Front master cylinder and muffler problem

Postby cjeffers9 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:20 pm

Frist problem . rebuilding the front master cylinder, I cant get that snap ring out, I have one of the sets from auto part store that has five head and they are just not long enough. Stopped by a auto repair shop in town the guy had a nice set from snap-on ,he even tried and just cant get ahold. Tried everything screw, nail, dental tool ,third hand hiolding the piston down, it was pretty crowded in there. How you get your out ?? Next problem two , got new gasket for the mufflers and the crossover pipe, found only two copper gaskets [ on the left side] its quieter but on the left side where you bolt the muffler to the frame i got air blowing out [ not on the right just the left ] pipes looked good when i clean things up. Anybody had that problem ? Also there was a couple of brackets on the header bolts and the crash bar that werent hook two anything they are about 3in long 3/4 wide hole on the end. I think three of them ??? And where the crash bar bolts at the botttom of the motor the left side was on the [threaded rod] bolt no nut , the right side wasnt even on the rod it was to close to the header toget a bolt on. I cut a inch off of it and got some nuts. It was metric, just a peice of all thread Kinda fits sloppy in there ,everything tighten with the nuts, I guess what im asking is that what honda puts in there just a piece of all thread ? I guess that it for now Thanks Guys

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Re: Front master cylinder and muffler problem

Postby patbrandon1 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:47 am

My only input is for the master cylinder. Depress the piston with your finger to relieve the tension, then use snap ring pliers to compress the circlip. Once it is compressed, relieve the piston and allow it to push the circlip out of the master cylinder.

Read more: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=46#ixzz1wu2NSiKH

Look at the pic in step 11. Heavy duty LONG pliers like the ones in the pic worked for me. Relieving the pressure also helps with it's removal.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”