Fouling Plug???

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1981 1100 Goldwing

Fouling Plug???

Postby bcnv1100 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:30 pm

Okay so i have a 81 1100 bike that runs good, but basically stripped and ugly, buddy just gave his 83 aspencade, its dressed out and beutifull. He said he would go about 20 miles and foul one of the plugs and couldn't figure it out. So he offered me the bike just have to swap the engines and i should have a really nice bike. He took out his engine and brought bike, engine and all the parts to me, and yesterday i started stripping down my bike. Then i got to thinking about this site, i'm no mechanic but i can figure it out with a little help. So is a a plug that keeps fouling worth looking into?? I dont want to spend hundreds on fixing it. The engine is out of the bike and with trouble shooting it i wouldnt know where to start. But if its not that bad i could have two running bikes here.... any advice??? anybody in Vegas up for some wrenching!!!??? haha

Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

Re: Fouling Plug???

Postby moritz1100 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:46 pm

Might not be too bad, can you put up a pic of the fouled plug. Depends whether it's oil fouled or carbon fouled. If it's oil fouled, it could be due to bad piston rings or the cylinder needing to be bored out or maybe new valve stem seals.. If the plug is not covered in oil and is carbon fouled, white-ish colour, it might just be down to a bad HT lead or the wrong type plug, at worst a sticking valve. check and see if the correct plugs are installed in all four cylinders, if they're NGK plugs the code on them should be DR8ES-L, maybe worth checking if the cap is correct for the plugs too, should say XD05F. Picture of the plug will tell the story..

Motorcycle: 1981 1100 Goldwing

Postby bcnv1100 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:53 pm

Dosn't sound too bad, i have the bike and will pick up the old engine probably this weekend. Then i'll pull the plug and check it out and get a pic up, sounds like i should stop stripping my bike, might be able to get the original engine going.

Motorcycle: 1985 Honda Goldwing GL1200
117k miles
1977 Kawasaki kz400
1978 Suzuki GSXr750
1980 Kawasaki GPZ400
1975 Honda CB360T

Postby seabee_ » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:30 pm

If it is a carbon fouling it could also be as simple carbs way out of adjustment. I had a 2 cylinder kz400 that would also foul the right side plug after about a month of riding. I found the idle mixture screws way out of adjustment from the PO. The carbs were also way out of sync. After a carb rebuild, carb adjustment and carb sync I never fouled another plug. Just another thing to look at.
CE1 Navy Seabees/RET
1981 to 2002
ASE Mechanic

Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:29 am

Issues...too much fuel, spark weak or low compression. Could be timing but with only one plug fouling doubtful. If you know how to read plugs it will point you in the right directions..about 12 different looks and reasons. Most aftermarket manuals have a page with pics describing the conditions and reasons..on to the library and look at one.

check easiest first spark..dark garage pull the plug and cap..put another plug in the hole run the engine with the plug on the's the spark..fat white or blue or not?? Or just crank it with the gas off and check the spark.

compression check next..might as well do cylinders..plugs out, throttle open..crank away. anything below 140 is not good.. add oil to cylinder if the numbers come up bad rings if not bad valves or valve settings. You could set the valves first just to be sure they are right.

Carbs are last..pull the air box and filter start the bike look in you see excess fuel on the bottom of the box?? Pull the carbs check float levels, replace o rings(Randakk's o rings) might as well clean the carbs if not rebuild!!!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”