Trunk and Fairing Locks will not turn

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
timwingard
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Trunk and Fairing Locks will not turn

Postby timwingard » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:20 pm

I fixed most items on my 80 GL1100 Interstate and now I am focusing on the smaller things. Like trunk locks. I can put my ignition key into all the locks, but it only turns in one. Sometimes it is not to excited about turning in that one as well. I am currently trying to use the liquid graphite used for cable lubricant to see how that works but so far that is not resolving the issue, but the key is easier to slide in.

The biggest problem is the fairing lock on the bike is locked and I can't get it to unlock. All other locks are stuck in the unlocked position except for one that works. I was told from the previous owner that the one key fit all the locks.

I had a new key made and the new keysseems to fit better than the old worn one.

Has anyone been able to resolve this issue or have any insight on how to fix?

I have taken the lock cyclinder off the radio and I am planning on giving a good brake cleaner cleaning and then relubing to see if that helps.

I appreciate your assistance.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Trunk and Fairing Locks will not turn

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:56 am

My 1100 locks (particularly the locks holding the trunk onto its frame) would get sticky about once a year. I would spray them with graphite lubricant (graphite lubricant in a very volatile carrier, once the carrier evaporates it leaves a dry graphite coating behind). After they dried, I would work them with the key and they would always work great again.

timwingard

Postby timwingard » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:25 am

Thanks for the feedback. I tried the liquid graphite with no success. Next I will try a locksmith.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:25 am

No need to try locksmith, could be very $$$ per lock, one new key might not do it?? hard to say... you can take the locks out of the bike's bags then pull the cylinders from the lock not hard and fairly easy to figure out once the locks are in your hand, then insert your key all the tabs should retract to be flush with the cylinder if not the key is worn or the tab is bad..you can just grind down the offending tabs until flush with the cylinder and the lock will work. This is also the way to make any key that fits the lock work with the lock..could be you have a key that fits but not the right key!!!

Do one and you'll what I mean..

I have "made" locks fit keys like this at least a dozen times.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

s_lapid
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 interstate

Postby s_lapid » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:00 pm

I had a similar situation with the locks when I got the bike.I sprayed generously WD40 with the red plastic piece of pipe supplied with the can -deep into the locks, repeatedly for a couple of days , and this did the job perfectly without having to take anything apart. (the only lock that didn't come loose ,the one on the false tank , I later learned from the PO that it was not original lock.
so maybe this will also work for you.

timwingard

Postby timwingard » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:22 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I do have a new key but it is the same as the old. Not sure what you mean about tabs. Tabs on the key? I can insert the key and it seems to go all the way in, just will not turn. I have tried spaying the locks with wd 40 several times. lots of liquid graphite. I also removed one and banged on it while lubing with no luck.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:55 am

When you put a key in a lock it retracts the tabs and allows the cylinder to turn..if you take one apart you'll see the tabs and if you put a key in the cylinder they will/should disappear into the cylinder allowing the cylinder to turn in the lock. Soemthing is n ot allowing all the tabs to retract into the cylinder..bad key, wrong key, stuck tabs..
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:10 pm

s_lapid wrote:I had a similar situation with the locks when I got the bike.I sprayed generously WD40 with the red plastic piece of pipe supplied with the can -deep into the locks, repeatedly for a couple of days , and this did the job perfectly without having to take anything apart. (the only lock that didn't come loose ,the one on the false tank , I later learned from the PO that it was not original lock.
so maybe this will also work for you.

WD-40 is definitely not good for locks. It may wash out whatever is in there preventing it from working, so it will fix it in the short term, but it leaves behind an oily film that attracts dust and grit, and will shortly cause the lock to stop functioning again.

The best way to clean/lubricate a lock is with graphite lubricant. It comes in a spray can, and contains a graphite suspension in a volatile carrier. You spray it into the lock, the carrier evaporates quickly, leaving the graphite behind. The graphite is a very slippery dry lubricant, and the lock will work very well with it.

s_lapid
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 interstate

Postby s_lapid » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:06 pm

wingadmin, you may be right about long term maintanance /lubrication for good ,working locks, but to free seized locks I beleive that nothing does it better than WD40.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”