remove seat / take off gas tank

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Please Support our Sponsors!

remove seat / take off gas tank

Postby Oliver4god » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:50 pm

How do you remove seat and take gas tank off of 1983 honda goldwing 1100

Oliver4god

Motorcycle: 1983 gold wing Interstate

Re: remove seat / take off gas tank

Postby woolz123 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:20 am

Both subjects are covered in the GL1100 DIY articles, at the top of this forum.
woolz123

Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate
1996 Honda Helix

Postby veg_eta_ble » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:00 am

Taking the seat off is a five minute job. the tank, however, plan on a good 3 to 4 hours to get it out. Take your time, take LOTS of pictures, and be sure to use the DIY article on this forum. It is a lifesaver. And if you still have any questions go ahead and ask because all of us are here to help. I have a few pictures of my tank removal on my profile. If you want any more, just ask.
Good Luck!
If you walked out of bed today, had a job to go to, a home to go back to, and someone there who loves you, then my friends, you have already won. -Larry Miller
veg_eta_ble

Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

Postby Dr.Ew » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:36 pm

I could be wrong, I think that he may have been referring to taking off the seat and the shelter, not the actual gas tank. If so, there is an excellent series of pics here http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=101.
To get the seat off is an easy two bolt job (one on each side). To remove the shelter (false gas tank) it is 4 bolts (right & left front, two rear), but if you have a fairing, you'll have to remove the fairing lowers (3 screws on each side) in order to get to the front bolts for the shelter. Removing all three will take you about 10-20 minutes or less, once you see where the bolts are at. The walk through guide is pretty detailed, it'll help a ton for your first time pulling them off.

Good luck!
Drew
Dr.Ew

Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing GL1100 Standard, with Hondaline addons to resemble an Interstate

Postby veg_eta_ble » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:42 pm

Oh yea, well you can tell I have been huffing too many fumes in the garage when I don't even think of the shelter what most people may label "gas tank". :lol:
If you walked out of bed today, had a job to go to, a home to go back to, and someone there who loves you, then my friends, you have already won. -Larry Miller
veg_eta_ble

Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

Postby Dr.Ew » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:47 pm

Haha, I know the feeling. I took my wife for her first ride on the Goldwing this morning, she happened to look and see where the Honda tank logos were originally mounted on the side of the shelter (previous owner removed them at some point), and worriedly told me that I had two holes in my gas tank! :roll:

Dr.Ew

Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing GL1100 Standard, with Hondaline addons to resemble an Interstate

Return to GL1100 Information & Questions