82 GL1100 Aftermarket Cruise Control Troubleshooting

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing GL1100 Standard, with Hondaline addons to resemble an Interstate

82 GL1100 Aftermarket Cruise Control Troubleshooting

Postby Dr.Ew » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:50 pm

Question for anyone who can help identify the model cruise control system that was installed by a previous owner

On my 82 GL1100 Standard there is an electronic cruise control module. It currently is not working, despite being wired and powered. I am not sure that I actually need it, but I'd like to learn more about it - but despite tracing all wiring, I can't find a single part number/manufacturer name, anything! From the selector switches on the module under the shelter, it appears to be a general design for any motorcycles (or maybe cars too?) Without being able to learn anything about it, I am a little leery of it kicking on unexpectedly, so I've pulled the fuse. If I can't find any details about it, I may remove it entirely (one less thing to go wrong!)

Does anyone out there recognize this type of unit?

The handlebar controller has an On/Off slider switch under it, with buttons for ACC-SET, DEC-RES, and Coast, and the other module that was under the right side of the shelter has a few slider switches (under the rubber cover on the back) that allow for speed sensor selection and number of cylinders, but still no part numbers.
Unknown cruise control ?
Unknown cruise control ?

At this point, I can't even begin to troubleshoot anything when I can't even ID the unit. I've tried several ways to track it down, even Google's image search, but found nothing.
Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 82 GL1100 Aftermarket Cruise Control Troubleshooting

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:44 pm

Can you open it up to see if there are any identifying marks on the circuit board(s) inside?

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”