Fork removal

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
DCoxson1969
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Fork removal

Postby DCoxson1969 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:51 am

I have some things I want to do to my 81 Interstate and would like to remove the forks. I looked in the how to articles for a guide to doing this and could not find one. I don't expect it to be real hard, but would like to have the reference. Can someone give me some ideas as to what I should expect? Thank you for your time.
Dave

FIREFIGHTER: Busting mine to save yours!

bcassel
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate. Originally Candywine color, now Chrysler Cool Vanilla.

Re: Fork removal

Postby bcassel » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:23 am

Okay, i"m just talking from memory here, but:

Calipers off and strapped up so they take the weight off the hoses, remove the speedo cable.

Remove the front fender

Raise the bike off the ground and take off your front wheel, if you have a fairing, you can remove the forks with the fairing on, but it's easier with it off.

Let the air pressure out of the forks and take the hoses off the inlet ports

Loosen the bolts that clamp the fairing weight to the forks, put a screwdriver in the clamp and make sure it is loose on both tubes.

Loosen the bolts that hold the top of the forks to the triple tree,same with the bottom ones

Pull each individual fork down while twisting, should come right on out

DCoxson1969
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby DCoxson1969 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:28 pm

Outstanding, sounds easy enough.
FIREFIGHTER: Busting mine to save yours!

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:07 pm

when you jack up the front of the bike-do it just enough to take off the weight of the tireThen loosen the bolts so the wheel is free-then lift the bike a tad more to remove wheel.Otherwise the wheel will tend to twist as you remove the bolts,putting uneven pressure
on the axle.Just a little something to look out for.
There are a couple of how to articles out there on this project-do another search-I cant think of the name of the other goldwing website,but it has a good diy rticle with pics so you can get alll the parts instaaled in order.I would reccomend installing progressive springs in the forks-about $80-$90 on e-bay.I bought a pair-and the difference in handling is well worth the extra expense.Let us know how it goes-and post if you have anymore ?s.Regards,Johnyy

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”