83 GL1100 22,000 Miles NEW CLUTCH???? REALLY?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
seagreen13
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda Goldwing Interstate

83 GL1100 22,000 Miles NEW CLUTCH???? REALLY?

Postby seagreen13 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:27 pm

Hello all,

I'm a new GoldwingDoc member and rider. I just purchased an 83 Goldwing that has 22,000 miles. It's in excellent condition cosmetically and almost mechanically but is riding extremely heavy. I took it to my mechanic and he believes that I need a new clutch. I casually work on bikes, but summers grant me less time so I often take issues if any to this guy. He is trustworthy and I respect his opinion. However, at 22,000 miles that seems just unusually low to need a new clutch. A new clutch also requires an engine removal which I don't mind doing, but would like to know that I'm doing it for a good reason.

Nevertheless here are symptoms of the bike.

If in neutral on the center stand, once the throttle is engaged, bike shakes and raps loudly.

When in riding position, in order to move bike forward a large amount of throttle is needed before i release clutch lever. Around 3500-4500 rpm's. It raps again and shakes heavily if not enough gas is given. To ride, I just lay on the throttle early and release clutch lever at those rpm's. (Had to take it home from place of purchase) Now, if I am to ride the bike properly, and release the clutch and engage the throttle it will stall out and again, rap really loudly and shake before stalling. When bike is riding, I have to again, lay on the throttle heavy to shift or it shifts super heavy. Not to buck me, but heavy where I can feel that it's not good. I'm avoiding riding it by the way to prevent any further damages.

Now the guy who I bought it off, said the mechanic down the road would throw inspection stickers on it despite this problem. I question that. Also, not to be repetive, but to be thorough, the bike won't ride normally. You must engage a high throttle before releasing the clutch or you will stall. When starting facing uphill, this is intensified much more. Lastly, being the owner of an 85 Honda Shadow 1100, the Goldwing has much less nuts than the Shadow. The Shadow is an amazing machine and can really move, but I would expect the Goldwing to run slightly less when laid into, not dramatically.

This weekend I'm going to attempt to work on the bike. I feel it's something in the carbeurator's. Perhaps they need a cleaning. I heard rumors of adjusting the carbs is a nightmare with a valve or something. Anyhow, I have two manuals to help me out. I hope you guys can help me and point me in the right direction. I'm looking to take the bike across the country, so working on it is something that is going to happen anyway.

Any suggestions? Hope was specific enough? Again, bike wont catch the gear if you were to release clutch and engage throttle as a normal bike would.

Oh and I've added seafoam. Ha.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: 83 GL1100 22,000 Miles NEW CLUTCH???? REALLY?

Postby virgilmobile » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:26 pm

You should be able to let out the clutch at 1000 rpm and accelerate smooth without too much grumbling,especially above 1500 rpm.
Leave the shaking and rattling to Harley.These 4 cylinder boxer engines should be dead smooth.
Yes you probably need to service the carbs.
Don't get too exited.there really not that hard to clean up and sync.
We have a good How-To section and plenty of folks willing to stick their noses in your bike. :D

By your description,it sounds like it MIGHT be firing on one cylinder.

>>>>If you run it up to 3000 rpm and let out the clutch,it should near separate your arms from your shoulders.Really...

Quick test...from COLD...start the engine and run it LOW rpm for 5 seconds then shut it off.
Lightly tap each header pipe.the ones that are warm are running,the ones that are cold have a problem.
DON'T rev the engine up,keep it low as possible.

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:22 am

Yes, what Virgil said. Doesn't seem like a clutch problem though. After you check the cylinders for heat to see if they are firing, pull the plugs and see what they look like. There could be a coil problem. By inspecting the plugs, you can tell a lot. I'm going to guess that they are black with carbon looking soot on them. Meaning they are not firing consistently, or at all. There is also a guide to diagnosing the plugs in the DYI section. It could be a number of things for sure, but there are some simple tests to narrow it down to manageable, especially with all the help on this site. Keep us posted, okay?

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:51 pm

If this was a 80 or 81 I would point at the slow jets [idle jets] now I'm not saying the 83 doesn't have these jets either they do, and more than likey they are clogged or at least 3 of the four are, if you want to rule out the clutch though some here have actually used seafoam in their engines to clean out the insides of their engines which means the moving parts in the clutch area too..Virgils really good and his advise is always excellent, I always just touch the intake pipe thingy's as the bike warms to see if they are all the same warmth.. This is how my bike takes off after it's warmed up...I can release the clutch and it will move out as smooth as it gets so if yours isn't Virgils right, Carbs... :D

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:10 pm

This does not sound like a clutch problem to me, I would be checking the valve timing and carburation as it sounds like the engine is not running correctly? Someone may have changed the timing belts and got the cams timed incorrectly, or the jets in the carbs could be blocked with gunk from having not been used enough.. I cannot see anyway a clutch would give the issues you describe..

Gary
Last edited by thrasherg on Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

britman
Motorcycle: 83 goldwing and an 82 naked goldwing

Postby britman » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:25 pm

plus one on what everyone has said .Because you don't want to take the engine out and do the clutch and find out it wasn't that . I always say start simple stupid and work up from there

seagreen13

Postby seagreen13 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:26 pm

Hey Guys,

I must be honest, having so much feedback is amazing. This weekend I will be able to fuss around with the bike and cannot wait to get my hands on this thing. Working on my 85 Shadow 1100 is great, but there's something more exciting about getting into this Wing. I'll keep ya posted for sure, just please be patient. My twelve/fourteen hour work days are tough and soon to be over in less than two weeks. Hopefully in a couple I'll report back.

Thanks Everyone

seagreen.JPG

seagreen13

Postby seagreen13 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:29 pm

Here's my Gem. Minus the sticker on rear luggage, she's even shinier now.

britman

Postby britman » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:33 pm

Thats a smart looking wing you have

littlebeaver
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:37 am

I agree on this, I really enjoy when people put their own touch on their bike, the colors on this bike are pretty neat, it looks great... :D

Ericson38
Motorcycle: 1983 GL 1100 Standard, 2000 GL1500 SE

Postby Ericson38 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:40 pm

At 22K miles, most of us wish we had your clutch. Green is extra cool too !

seagreen13

Postby seagreen13 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:21 pm

Cheers on the compliments. The Green is pretty groovy I must say so myself.

But have some news. I tested the bikes cylinders by starting it with light throttle and tested the pipe covers. On the clutch side, both pipes were cold and the one closest to the rear wheel took the longest to heat/warm up.

I agree with everyone regarding it not being the clutch. If it was, then my little knowledge of mechanics would have been shattered.

Anyhow, it seems I won't be able to tinker more with this until the weekend, which is eating me up inside. I bought an oil filter, oil, plugs, and am going to order some items from Honda to be picked up...

I'll check the fuel lines, change fuel filter, air cleaner, clean the crankcase breather. Carb clean. Carb sync? Heard that is difficult on the Goldwings....I'll also do the whole radiator thing, check hoses, flush system...brakes, brake fluid, final drive lube job, and who knows what else I'll run into.

I run Rotella oil in my shadow, what do most of you run?

I've also been starting it every night, letting it warm up and letting the sea foam take its course. It actually seems to be helping.

Okay. I gotta fly. Thank you again everyone for all your help. I will keep you posted.

britman

Postby britman » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:56 pm

Well thats good news on the clutch . Before you go to Mother Honda try to find the items else where first as they still want your first born for some items . One place you need to stay away from is saber cycles just look them up on here and your see why they also sell items under the name Barracuda nuff said there

patbrandon1
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:14 pm

seagreen13 wrote:Cheers on the compliments. The Green is pretty groovy I must say so myself.

But have some news. I tested the bikes cylinders by starting it with light throttle and tested the pipe covers. On the clutch side, both pipes were cold and the one closest to the rear wheel took the longest to heat/warm up.

I agree with everyone regarding it not being the clutch. If it was, then my little knowledge of mechanics would have been shattered.

Anyhow, it seems I won't be able to tinker more with this until the weekend, which is eating me up inside. I bought an oil filter, oil, plugs, and am going to order some items from Honda to be picked up...

I'll check the fuel lines, change fuel filter, air cleaner, clean the crankcase breather. Carb clean. Carb sync? Heard that is difficult on the Goldwings....I'll also do the whole radiator thing, check hoses, flush system...brakes, brake fluid, final drive lube job, and who knows what else I'll run into.

I run Rotella oil in my shadow, what do most of you run?

I've also been starting it every night, letting it warm up and letting the sea foam take its course. It actually seems to be helping.

Okay. I gotta fly. Thank you again everyone for all your help. I will keep you posted.

What did you mean by pipe covers? The place to feel is right out of the cylinder. They should all be warm if you started it cold and ran it for about five seconds. If one takes longer, it is probably the cylinder next to it that is heating it up. They should all be the same heatness (?) after the five second test. The carb sync is not hard. Getting the stuff together to do it is the biggest pain. In the DIY section, there is an awesome how to sync the carbs. After the first time, it's a breeze. Oil preference is a personal choice, and there are a few discussions about it. I use Delo 15W40 and have had very good luck. It "seems" to shift smoother and finding neutral seems easier too. I don't use synthetic because I change my oil every 2000 miles, filter every 4000. One thing you might want to do is adjust the valves too. Pretty easy to do and a great DYI on here for it. Thanks for the updates and please keep us posted.

seagreen13

Postby seagreen13 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:33 pm

PatBrandon1

Yes you are correct underneath is where I had wanted to say. And no, the five second test failed. It was actually like a three minute test to be honest, and the right side warmed up much more quickly than the left (clutch) side. I'm not overly concerned about the carb sync just my neighbor told me it is a nightmare and that it is "something to be taken to the dealer". Nevertheless, I'm going to try it along with the other things mentioned above.

Still taking oil recommendations...Not interested in riding synthetic. Doesn't seem to make sense to me, considering the make of the bike was in 1983.

Gotta roll. Cruised the Shadow as the sun fell behind the hills of Slippery Rock, Pennsylvania. If any of you are headed north, be sure to hit the Slippery Rock area. It's magnificent. Look me up if you do. We'll go for a cruise. But headed across the country in July and going till I just dont know. Maybe I'll run into some of you then. But before that, repair time and building a relationship with this machine. We are going to be two peas in a pod soon.

Ericson38
Motorcycle: 1983 GL 1100 Standard, 2000 GL1500 SE

Postby Ericson38 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:33 am

Starting it every night and letting it run for a while with a strong (say half a bottle) solution of Seafoam is a good way to tackle the carb issue, for starters.
Real easy to drain and refill the rear gear with 80W-90 oil. Don't use synthetic there.....can start leaking. That's what happened to me, had to take it apart and re-seal the ring/pinion assy with Honda seals (two where EBAY NOS only).

My standard likes Shell Rotella 15W-40 (shifts better), and the GL1500 likes Chevron Delo (15W-40). I don't know why that is. The 1500 with Delo shifts like butter, while the 1100 prefers Rotella in that department.

Your trak front forks----

read about the settings here-http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=2448

Cleared up my confusion on the topic. I run left leg at #2, right leg at #4. Smoother fork action for me, surprised that it effects more than the nose dip on braking.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:37 am

First probably 122,000 miles, second sounds like clogged idle jets which require a carb rebuild or at least cleaning third sync isn't hard but it's the last thing you do generally after, timing, valves, plugs and carb cleaning. Several how to's on various sites. On all of the above.. But suggest you get a shop manual the Honda one..always a few on eBay and Helms sells reprints before you get too involved. Running sea foam may clean out you carbs but it will take a tank or two of running to do it if it can do it. I'd CHANGE your timing belts, set the valves, check the timing, gap your plugs, do an oil flush, check the spark on the plugs..and rebuild your carbs.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

seagreen13

Postby seagreen13 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:58 pm

Fellow riders,

It has been some time since my last update. The troubles of the bike seem to lessening. Recently I have performed a full brake overhaul which was in much need. However, pertaining to the initial problem it still remains, but not to the extent of which it had. I changed the fuel filter, plugs, and adjusted the valves. It seems that the intake valve #2 was missing the screw which was causing a air leakage. That helped once put back on place. However, the power is just not there. The bike continues to chatter when releasing the clutch. Also when under a load, particularly going up hill in a higher gear.

Tomorrow there will be an attempt made to synchronize the carbs. With any luck that will be a solution. I feel as though it is the only thing aside from a carb rebuild that has not yet been done. Well perhaps a compression test. The spark plug #2 also wasn't getting as hot but that was before the intake hole was shut. Hole isn't the best term, but it is late and I'm running out of words. Necerhteless, my intake valves had some wear mark on the interior. As if something was scratching around in the inside. Several People had suggested that to be not an issue but I fear it to be. After my carb sync, I will ensure that the valves are still in check and recheck the plugs. From there, well, I'm just not sure.

Throw some thoughts if you will. If not look forward to hearing the results. I'm weary of a carb rebuild. I'm trying to depart on a long cruise, of many weeks and states. So we shall see.

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:33 pm

Have you checked the timing yet? Using a timing light and a inspection cap..? Did you polish up the slides or those pistons in the carbs, Virgil usually says that, Sometimes they stick. Check the plug that comes from your pulse generator, check ohms in those wires...Heck if this was me I'd pull the swingarm and inspect the spark advancer in the pulse generator and make sure every thing else there is working well ..But that's me..I have heard stories of the spark advancers being rusted, broken springs, or just a mess..Mine was a major mess..Doesn't mean yours is though...Hey how's that three yellow wire plug doing.?.You know the one from the stator to the Regulator rectifier...

patbrandon1
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:05 am

seagreen13, what did the plugs look like when you changed them? A lot can be told from the condition they are in.

seagreen13

Postby seagreen13 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:28 am

I have not did a timing check nor did I check the ohms in the pulse generator. 3 yellow wires from stator to rectifier are good. Think of pulling swing arm and Looking around.

As far as the plugs. My #1 is burning too hot and #2 not hot enough. #3/4 are good.

I'm thinking though from the sound of it. The main issue could be the scavenge pump chain. Yikes.

seagreen13

Postby seagreen13 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:34 am

My intake valve #1 has a tick. Just valve that goes from carb to valve casing. Going to have a look around....again

seagreen13

Postby seagreen13 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:27 pm

THOUGHTS?!? Scavenge chain is accessed by taking off the stator bole and entering from there. Looks like I might have to pull the rear tire off. It's the only thing that isn't lining up. Again, the problem remains, that when pulling out of first gear a I get a shutter/knocking sound down my #4 valve. It's sounds like it be on that side without a doubt but occasionally will make that noise when up towards the timing belt or so it seems. Nevertheless, there is a chain inside that I feel could be lose. It makes sense, or at least in my head and others opinions. But until I tear into her, I'll never know. I'm really losing valuable time on this cross country trip as a result. It's a bummer.

bbells
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

Postby bbells » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:23 pm

IMHO: Your Shadow has much more torque than the GL1100. When i changed from a twin (VTX1300) it took me awhile to realize that you need to be aggressive with the throttle when starting out or you will get some chatter. Also, most aren't happy cruising below 3000-3500 rpm. It took 2-3 tanks with 1/2 can of Seafoam each to clean my carbs out.
Also, I found synching the carbs was very easy using the instructions on this site.

seagreen13

Postby seagreen13 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:33 pm

Well, if only that were the case. Yea the Shadow is indeed "torquey" but still, I can't imagine when climbing up hill that the bike would shutter/knock as much as it does. However, once I get my piston seals for my front left brake caliper and she's already to rock n roll, I am going to definitely put some miles on her to see if that clears anything up(seafoam added). Ideally, I would love to flag down a fellow 83 interstate on the road and feel it out. Then my concern would be gone. I do though, sincerely believe, that the knocking is something out of character. I shall keep you posted.

The Goldwing and Shadow are two different bikes I realize;)

I synced the carbs. That helped slightly.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”