front fork repair

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
robertket
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 goldwing interstate

front fork repair

Postby robertket » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:05 pm

just bought a 81 gl1100 after deciding that the 82 interstate i recently acquired was beyond repair in the engine dept. so i now have a parts bike. lol. my question is the front forks on the 81 seem to bee too soft and am considering rebuilding them but am having trouble finding parts for this process. anyone know of a good parts dealer or should i consult a local honda shop? (the one i called acted like it would be a bother to them to deal with such an old bike and that they no longer repaired bikes that old) thanks for any suggestions or help.

goldminerusa
Motorcycle: 1982 gl 1100standard, 1983 1000c

Re: front fork repair

Postby goldminerusa » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:28 pm

I replaced the slider bushings and fork seals with oem parts from the local honda dealer this past april, and i understand from other owners posts that Progressive.com has replacement springs for Goldwings, if the springs in your bike are outside service limits. Have also read that some have put spacers cut from PVC pipe under the spring stack, there are 2 springs on each side in my 1100. Check the How -To Articles, there might be more info there.

goldminerusa

Postby goldminerusa » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:31 pm

By the way, why not use the parts from the "parts bike" first before buying new? And you can do this yourself it is easy, just a few wrenches and some muscle.

robertket

Postby robertket » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:52 pm

the parts bike seems to have the same affliction. of course it may just need fluid or air. i am still reading and learning before going full steam ahead into territory that i am not familiar with. I was more interested in finding out if there was an alternate source for the parts needed (if they are needed) and where i might purchase them. I sort of decided that i would see pigs fly before i would deal with the local honda shop since they had such an attitude when i called looking for help with this project. I am therefore relying on the gracious assistance that i am recieving at this site too help me thru the process of refurbishing this bike or both now that i have two.lol again thanks to all who have answered my questions ( i know they may sound silly but this is truly unknown territory for me)

goldminerusa

Postby goldminerusa » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:19 am

New territory for me too, just 3 months ago when i was given a 82 1100 standard with 64k HARD miles on it. The service side of your local dealer isn`t surprising, but you only need to order / pickup parts, screw service dept. Find a dealer with an online OEM Fiche at their website, every part of every bike Honda made will be in that fiche, along with part #`s and parts schematics. And know this, the price given in the fiche was/is set by Honda, not the dealer, and is the same today as in 1982!! You will find that a large number of Honda parts are still available for these bikes. If your close enough to the dealer, order all the parts needed for the area your going to work on, when ALL the parts come in, pick them up and save time, gas and shipping charges. The internet is LOADED with dealers, recycling yards, aftermarket suppliers, Ebay, and on and on. Whatever you can`t buy new you can get used. These bikes were sold worldwide by the THOUSANDS. Check out, www.goldwingfacts.com, based in Ireland, you`ll see what i mean. Set up a PayPal account, PayPal.com your gonna need it. Don`t (in my opinion) do cash/checks/money orders, seems to lead to trouble and harder to recover your money if theres a problem. There will be. ALWAYS get a TRACKING NUMBER when you order. UPS(ground) is best and least expensive, then USPS, but, you don`t always get a tracking number and they can be difficult to deal with. Most co`s / people use these two. Six days is the average ship time. Every GW website ive been to has a Want To Buy/Want To Sell for site members, be Careful, not everybody is honest and nobody is going to test a wiring harness or other part(s) before selling it. Trust me on this. This site is one of the best for advice and the site administrator and moderators are owners/mechanics and riders. Theres a lot of free downloadable manuals and such available here and on the net. Read the How-To Articles here, they are clear and concise with excellent photos on a wide variety of repairs. Hope all this helps. John

robertket

Postby robertket » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:46 pm

thanks john, as i said in my previous post i am on an extreme learning curve and just being able to bounce ideas off of folks that are experienced obviously helps emensely. i think i have enough good parts between the two bikes i have (81 and 83I) to make a very good and reliable cycle. my major concern is with old rubber seals, o-rings and other parts that are not in what i deem as servicable condition. I am in no hurry to get it on the road ( the temp was 105 here today) so I am shooting for some fall riding time if all goes well. again thanks for the info and the encouragement. if I can be of help to you or anyone else here just let me know ( i am a good metal fabricator) just not a good bike mechanic. LOL

goldminerusa

Postby goldminerusa » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:55 pm

I`m a good mechanic, not to good bending metal, never could get my mind around bend allowance. Good Luck.

thehorseman1955
Motorcycle: 1977 honda c550k, 1980 honda cx500d, 1982 honda gl1100a, 1982 suzuki gs450l, 1983 suzuki gs850gl,1981 suzuki gs1000g

Postby thehorseman1955 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:06 pm

what air pressure you running in your forks?check that first
1975 Honda sl360,1977 honda cb550k, 1980 honda cx500d, 1982 honda gl1100a, 1982 suzuki gs450l, 1983 suzuki gs850l,1981 suzuki gs1000g,and 3,1970s Yamaha dirt bikes: these I still have. sold lots through the years but these all still do something for me

binder49
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Goldwing

Postby binder49 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:30 am

Another good source for parts in Ebay. I purchased quality fork seals for around $30. Just make sure the year is correct, and check the feedbacks. Dont buy from a seller that rhymes with labor cycle. I have gotten many parts for my 1980 GL1100 from ebay

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:41 pm

My front end on all my bikes were poor.
My restoration comprised of the complete removal and rebuild.
What I did .....
Found one fork bent just a little....I bullied it back to specs.(20 foot 2' pipe under a fork lift and just pried it.took 2 hours.)
I'll bet a press at a machine shop would have been easier. :)
Replaced all the slides and tested fit each one first before final assembly.
New seals and dust caps.
I installed them,tubes first to check alignment,,,Yes they were twisted and almost 1/4" out of alignment.I had to twist the triple tree assembly to get the forks dead flat(using plate glass on the tubes)
I reassembled by securing just the top pinch bolts and the left fork bolts first.Raise the wheel and secure the right pinch bolt then the fork brace and finally the lower triple tree pinch bolts.
All the while with the wheel fully up.

After all that,I added the oil and checked the dampening effect then put in the springs.

I tried the quick and dirty method and it always turned out badly.
This procedure is specific in the reassembly steps to get the front end lined up perfectly and smooth slide action.It really made a difference.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”