HEAD GASKET TIME!

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
repsolracer22
Motorcycle: 86 gl 1200

HEAD GASKET TIME!

Postby repsolracer22 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:36 pm

Hey guys. 83 Interstate here ... Been blowing white smoke for a while, and now it won't start up. Coolant level has been dropping consistantly too ...

So first question .... are there any aftermarket gasket sets that are recommended or go with Honda only? Also while Im in there, im planning on doing timing belt, and thermostat too. Are there any other seals, gaskets, orings, etc etc that are worth replacing while i'm in there? Are there complete "kits" i can buy or gotta get everything piece by piece?

Thanks for you help. Looking forward to getting this guy back on the road.

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Re: HEAD GASKET TIME!

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:34 pm

Try the "Athena" top end gasket set-it is as good as Honda.At $93 -not a bad deal.Bikebandt sells it.I tried it-it works!Some on this list will swear that oem is all you should buy-the bare minimun you will spend on just the very basic gaskets (oem)-will be close to $200.Athena will work just as well.It has all the o-rings you need.Including the valve cover gaskets.Regards,Johnyy

repsolracer22

Postby repsolracer22 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:54 am

Johnyy Smoke wrote:Try the "Athena" top end gasket set-it is as good as Honda.At $93 -not a bad deal.Bikebandt sells it.I tried it-it works!Some on this list will swear that oem is all you should buy-the bare minimun you will spend on just the very basic gaskets (oem)-will be close to $200.Athena will work just as well.It has all the o-rings you need.Including the valve cover gaskets.Regards,Johnyy

THANKS FOR THAT TIP. I ACTUALLY BOUGHT THE ATHENA YESTERDAY AND IT SHOULD BE HERE TOMORROW. WHAT 'SPECIAL TOOLS' WILL I NEED? MANUAL SAYS SOMETHING ABOUT A "PULLEY HOLDER" (07925-3710200) ??? WHAT ELSE IS NEEDED? I HAVE TONS OF TOOLS ALREADY

Johnyy Smoke

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:34 pm

No special tools-just a quality torque wrench.Get a haynes manual on e-bay and read it closley-it is very usefull.Do reasearch here and at other forums.I am involved right now in the same project.Remember to remove the head bolts in a diagonal sequence,a little at a time.I also changed the valve seals while I was in there-so you will need a motorcycle valve spring compressor(beg,borrow,or steal).The Athena top end kit has the valve seals.Replace the exaust gaskets also,4 crushable metal gaskets that also come with the kit.Pay attention to the tiny oil tube that needs 2 0-rings on each head.This a big project and needs some study before you jump into it.
Also read the diy here on relpacing timing belts.Regards,Johnyy

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:07 pm

I feel that if someone could post their experience in changing out the cylinder heads they should do what our Admin. has done for many things and take photo's as they perform their task, what I mean is document it. And do it so a dumb ass like me can understand what the heck your talking about.. See, lot's of us are mechanicaly inclined but limited in knowledge.. A few photo's helps alot... I have done my share of documents here, this is more of a request and I'm not knocking anyone down here I just would love to pull up a post with everything on it step by step..I feel that our Admin. would love to see other's post stuff like that.. :D I love you guys'...

Johnyy Smoke

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:45 am

You are correct-littlebeaver.I shall do that on my next project-whatever goes wrong next on my bike!
I am like you-no real experience on working on bikes,I just read alot on my projrct and then jump right in.Regards,Johnyy

repsolracer22

Postby repsolracer22 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:08 pm

i dont see any DIY on this job

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”