No Electric - 82 GL1100

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
tubamanz
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

No Electric - 82 GL1100

Postby tubamanz » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:50 am

1982 GL1100, 70,000 miles (bought Feb 2012 with 69,300)

Started up this morning as usual (a little rough, yes, still need to adjust valves and sync carbs). Stopped at gas station about 2 miles away to fill up. As I was slowing down the dash lights came on, thought "that's odd". Turned off, filled tank. Turned ignition key to on, nothing - dash lights are all dead. Hmm. Pulled sidecover and noticed that neg battery cable was quite loose - as in the ring part of the lug was busted off and a previous owner had inserted the remaining blade piece into the battery and clamped in - and now had come loose. OK - easy to fix. (Phooey on me for not checking battery connections before. FWIW - I DID do the timing belts.) Still no power. Hmm. Checked the fuses in the false tank. One blown - 5A parking fuse. Had a spare so replaced. Didn't think that would make a difference and was correct. Hmm. On long shot, tried a jump from the nice young woman at the gas station - still no juice to the dash. Parked bike on grass to side of station, called wife, got expected response, and then after 15 minutes she picked me up. Logged into GoldwingDocs and found viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11704&hilit=electrical. Good info - something else to check this afternoon (when I have more adequate tools such as my multi-tester).

2 questions:
1. I'm not expecting to find a spare fuse on the bike. Will NAPA have this? Anyone have the part number?
2. I'd like to replace the neg battery cable (or lug) with a proper one. Which is simpler? I haven't yet traced the path of the cable to see where it goes. I've used the clamp-on lugs for cars before - does such a thing exist for bikes?

OK - that was really 4 questions. :)

Thanks all.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: No Electric - 82 GL1100

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:55 am

You may find a spare fuse on the bike - normally inside the flip-up cover for the fuse. But you won't find a replacement at NAPA or pretty well anywhere else. Your best bet is to stop at a local Radio Shack and buy a 30 amp waterproof blade fuse holder (they're around $5) and a common 30 amp blade fuse (which you CAN buy at NAPA, or any gas station). Replace the original master fuse with your new blade fuse holder, to avoid this problem in future.

The negative battery cable goes from the battery negative terminal to the frame - it's pretty short. You can easily replace it, make sure the mounting point on the frame is clean and shiny before re-mounting your replacement cable.

tubamanz
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Re: No Electric - 82 GL1100

Postby tubamanz » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:01 pm

It was indeed the master fuse (and no spare to be found). A buddy at work has a 1983 GL1200 and he had done the 30A blade fuse adaption - so showed me what it looked like on his bike. Not exactly the same setup as mine, but near enough. A hardware store run, $6, and about 15 minutes later and I had it cobbled together enough to get home from the gas station. Once home it took me about 20 minutes to make it pretty :)

I've also ordered a new battery cable from Motorcycle Superstore.

Another day, another fix to the bike.

Thanks for the help.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”