Idle Mixture Scews

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Kama
Motorcycle: 1980 Honda Goldwing GL1100

Idle Mixture Scews

Postby Kama » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:10 pm

I'm working on a 80' GL1100. I was in the process of rebuilding the carbs when carb 2 and 4's idle mixture jet heads broke off at the neck. Is this common? And since they were already set I decided to finish and reinstall. The bike runs great but I know it will have to be fixed eventually. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for getting these out? I tried an extractor and the brass jet just breaks apart and I stopped to keep from further damaging the carb.

ghostvet
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A

1997 GL1500SE

Re: Idle Mixture Scews

Postby ghostvet » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:24 pm

They do break real easy... If it doesn't budge with just a little firm hand pressure, I do not try to force it further.

Kama
Motorcycle: 1980 Honda Goldwing GL1100

Postby Kama » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:48 pm

Well after cleaning all but those two air mixture jets (and updating my 80's to accept threaded idle jets), it runs fantastic. So I'm just gonna find a set of part out carb bodies and let the others stay in til they give me issues. It idles great, revs great, and there is no hesitation. So I'm happy.

Old Fogey
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:07 am

This is a very common problem!
If you have used an extractor, just about the only way to get them out, and you'll need luck to do it, is to drill down bit by bit with gradually larger sizes until you can get the pieces out, Good luck with that!

If the screw has broken off flush with the carb body, which is usual, use a Dremel with a thin cut-off wheel, or even a hacksaw, and put a slot into the body and screw. Don't worry, you are only going in by about about 3mm; it will do no harm. Grind the tip of a screwdriver until it fits exactly in the screw slot, gently heat the carb body with a propane torch while dripping some light machine oil or similar into the slot and try to unscrew.
On no account screw clockwise! It could be that the idle screw has bottomed out and the very thin point will break off.
If that happens the body is toast! I know of no way to get that bit out.
If this tip doesn't work, you are looking for alternative bodies I'm afraid.

Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”