head gaskets

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
kyotobusker
Motorcycle: 1986 interstate

head gaskets

Postby kyotobusker » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:29 am

My 1986 interstate blew a head gasket....and I can't afford to fix it properly. Is there any head gasket sealant that actually works, or should I just park it until i get the money for a real fix?

Gold Feaver
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade

Re: head gaskets

Postby Gold Feaver » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:36 pm

I just switched out mine last week in my 83 gl1100 The gaskets cost 65.00 Can. each the switch out was Very simple! took me all about 1.5 hours per side. The hardest part was removing the crash bars and exhaust bolts. Just make sure you mark the position of the valves before you remove the belts. I would not ride it till you fixed it. If you get coolant in your oil it will not be good for your bearings and clutch. I can't imagine it's to good for the cylinders and piston rings either. I would fix the issue and drain the oil, replace with new oil run it for about 50 miles and apply another oil change to be as sure as you can be without splitting your engine.
Nothing says Nerd better, Like my Honda with 2 Computers
strapped to it!!

kyotobusker

Postby kyotobusker » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:45 pm

excellent thanks a lot.

Gold Feaver
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade

Postby Gold Feaver » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:38 pm

Feel free to ask questions if you get stuck. You will need a socket set a Sharpie Magic marker (To mark the position of your belt fly wheel or valves position, Last but not least a torque wrench. (You may need some gasket material for carbs (I also used rubber gasket cement) and a new o ring for your water intake.) Use your book and it should go very easy! Be careful not to over tighten your valve cover bolts they break very easily! (Talking from experience) . you just unbolt the head and remove totally intact no need to touch the cam or valves. clean off the head put the gasket in place and bolt it all together lickity split!
Nothing says Nerd better, Like my Honda with 2 Computers
strapped to it!!

kyotobusker

Postby kyotobusker » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:48 am

again, many thanks.
I'll post the results

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”