shifting issue

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
rileysaurus
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100a Aspencade

shifting issue

Postby rileysaurus » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:37 pm

So I rode my 83 aspencade for the first time today after total overhaul. The problem, I only seem to have one gear. It will go into neutral (with much footwork) and it seems to have one gear below(which reads 3rd on the guage) and one gear above(which also reads 3rd) and the kicker is...IT IS 3RD!! I have to rev the crap out of the bike to get it to move. I made damn sure the tranny gears, clutch, etc worked when I had the engine out of the bike. Set it on the table and worked the shift pedal until I was satisfied. It feels like a seriously out-of-adjustment clutch but there is no adjustment screw and cable adjustment doesnt seem to fix the problem. Any ideas?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: shifting issue

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:46 pm

Did you have the engine open while it was out of the bike? i.e. did you do work that might have affected the transmission?

It's possible the clutch isn't releasing enough, but even with no clutch at all, you should be able to shift - if you pre-load the shifter, accelerate up to around 4,000 rpm, then put upward pressure on the shifter as you drop revs, you should be able to push it out of third and into fourth. Same goes for downshifting - it's possible to do without a clutch.

rileysaurus
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100a Aspencade

Re: shifting issue

Postby rileysaurus » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:30 pm

I had the engine split and had the tranny gear train out but not apart. I changed a bearing on the end but didnt disassemble the gears. I worked the shifter today and it shifts down one gear(reads 3 on gauges, rides like 3rd gear), up 3 gears reading 4, o/d and blank on the top gear. The neutral light doesnt come on when in neutral and I was sure to set the neutral switch at 2 oclock when I put the front cover on. The gears work real hard too and only shift when the wheel is turning...very clunky. Im wondering if I installed the shift fork in the wrong position. I hope not. I just put the damn engine back in the bike :/

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”