3 yellow wires and a horn not working?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
veg_eta_ble
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

3 yellow wires and a horn not working?

Postby veg_eta_ble » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:44 pm

Well the horn was working, but whenever I used it, the bike would die. Ohmed out the wire from horn switch to the horn and found no problems. Ohmed the horn and it was not shorted and was nominal for a new one. Been scratching my head for a few months now and just chose not to ever use the horn. Decided to take this day and do some maintenance on my wing (clean plugs, check fluids, huff some chrome polish, and the like), and decided it would be a great time to check out the plug on the stator that i have read so much about on here. I almost had a heart attack. it looked as if I was 30 seconds from disaster from the charred remains of the plug and wires. I have crimped them all for now and will solder them this winter when riding season is over. And explain this to me.... the horn works fine now. all I can say if anyone out there has not made this mod yet, do so now. it should not be put off any longer. thanks for the help guys, :D

If you walked out of bed today, had a job to go to, a home to go back to, and someone there who loves you, then my friends, you have already won. -Larry Miller

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 3 yellow wires and a horn not working?

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:30 am

veg_eta_ble wrote:Well the horn was working, but whenever I used it, the bike would die. Ohmed out the wire from horn switch to the horn and found no problems. Ohmed the horn and it was not shorted and was nominal for a new one. Been scratching my head for a few months now and just chose not to ever use the horn. Decided to take this day and do some maintenance on my wing (clean plugs, check fluids, huff some chrome polish, and the like), and decided it would be a great time to check out the plug on the stator that i have read so much about on here. I almost had a heart attack. it looked as if I was 30 seconds from disaster from the charred remains of the plug and wires. I have crimped them all for now and will solder them this winter when riding season is over. And explain this to me.... the horn works fine now. all I can say if anyone out there has not made this mod yet, do so now. it should not be put off any longer. thanks for the help guys, :D

Hmm. I suppose the bike could have been operating at the very limit of charging ability due to bad stator wires, and using the horn took up enough current that it killed the ignition? You would think that your battery would also be dead in that case however.

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:06 pm

If you must crimp them...
Try some waterproof, large gauge marine quality butt crimps:

http://www.hiwtc.com/photo/products/8/07/41/74182.jpg

Usually available at any boat supply store...

If you really squeeze these hard, and flame shrink the plastic cover, then these are almost as good as " Hard Soldering "

SilverDave

veg_eta_ble
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

Postby veg_eta_ble » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:10 am

Good call, Dave, on the crimps. I always have a handful of those in my shop. And i will get it soldered and shrink tubed up right this winter. And I have no clue on the current on the stator, but I never have had a dead battery on her. But that also could be that I ride her 120 miles everyday (my job is 60 miles away), so rarely do I do much stop and go riding. Which prob means I was getting at least a good trickle charge everyday? :?:

If you walked out of bed today, had a job to go to, a home to go back to, and someone there who loves you, then my friends, you have already won. -Larry Miller

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”