Alternator Conversion pullies

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Alternator Conversion pullies

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:47 pm

I finally got my pullies in on Monday afternoon and they are all gone already.. I had 5 v-belts made and 5, 3rib serpentine's made, I have Todd [RoadRogue] to blame for this but it took a long time to get these and they are all accounted for already..Sorry about that.. :shock: I have been on another site with this Conversion thing..Todd convinced me that I should do this conversion, and I had previously made my own pulley using sockets and such [ you guy's know me] and it worked great but I wanted something a little more professionally done..Here's a photo...
Here's my home made one
Here's my home made one
9 of them because I had put mine on the bike already...
9 of them because I had put mine on the bike already...
Thank You Todd..

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: Alternator Conversion pullies

Postby RoadRogue » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:09 am

I am glad that you are able to sell the pullies that you had made. I cannot take credit for the original idea for the 1200, just how to apply it to the 1100 and even at that I am sure I must have read something somewhere that helped me get to the finished "kit". as for your obssesion thats all you my friend, I just planted the seed. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

littlebeaver
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:26 am

Yes I guess I'm a tad bit obsessed with my 1100....You are right though Todd this conversion thing is slick man...These pullies spin so true, they cost alot and all but it's all coming right back except mine..$1.300 for 10 of them :shock: This machinist fitted them to a timing crank pulley I let him use, I guess once you cut one the rest are the same..I bet I could cut one if I were given a chance..Todd are you going to make some?

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:01 pm

You should put a diy on this subject.Sounds Very interesting.Regards,Johnyy

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:41 pm

Hey Johnyy, let me tell ya how all this conversion thing got started, There's a fell in Alabama who goes by the the name Don, well Don figured out how to put a auto type alternator on a Gl 1200 Don's set up is called the Poorboy Conversion, I think in the begining he actually used a lawnmower pulley as it is fastened on the crank in the front where the timing belts are...Well, Dan Filipi and Todd [Road Rogue] here both have 1100's and they both have posts and video's of this conversion on other sites, I made my own on another site where this subject was hot.. Todd has been a real inspiration so has Dan both of these men are excellent individuals.. Dan and Todd both ganged up on me to do this conversion Todd pressed me a little harder I think, he said Beaver this is right up your alley man, I listened for about a year, I just probed around and asked some questions and it all makes perfect sense to me, even if you have a good stator in your bike, it makes sense because you can run the exterior alternator for a lot more power, [55amp] on mine, what makes sense is if you ever have an issue with the exterior one you can always just plug in the Regulator back into the original plug, see you must unplug it for the exterior alt. set up..Man you can run all the flippen lights and stuff you want with this set up.. I hope this explains why I did mine, let me know if you need a pulley I might be able to get you one for $130.00 which is what they cost me to buy..No money to be made on these..What really surprised me is this, WingAdmin. never did do this conversion and I know he was thinking about it, he must have been because he is Mr. Gadget..He too is one really great guy... :D

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:13 pm

I think you are the gadget man!Lord after reading this post-YOU left me in the dust!Regards,Johnyy

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:46 pm

Naw Johnyy man, it's just that I have been following it a lot longer than you have that's all, it's a fun project, it's different and I love different...I love the idea I won't have any problems now with my electrical system, I think changing a exterior alt. is far easier than pulling a engine out..To me it's a win win.. Todd explained everything to me, he anwsered all my questions and he even sent me a hand made bracket..What a guy... I couldn't have done this stuff without help..The reason I know WingAdmin. was thinking about it was because he was over at the SS site trying to help out with a fan idea.., this was something he just never got around to doing..

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:00 am

The way I looked at it was the stock charging system put out 300 watts maximum, that wasnt enough to power all the extra items I wanted on my 1100. I wanted to run extra driving lights,heated grips,electric vest and a better stereo as well as being able to charge the RV battery in my trailer.

You can see what is involved in the conversion if you goto
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/vie ... 3366&forum

I also used a 55amp alternator, that gives me 750 watts of useable power for lots of electrical accesories. Thats 2-1/2 times the factory output. Do you want to run 4 55watt driving lights? go ahead it can handle it, turn night into day.

To answer your question Beave , Now that I have bought myself a small metal lathe I will be cutting a few pullies and making up a few kits if there are any requests to do so this fall/winter. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:51 am

Awesome....Man, the number one thing I like the best is the idea that if you have a issue with the alt. it can be easily changed out, beat's pulling a engine in my book.. :D Plus I can add all the speaker's and stuff I want now and like Todd said , light up the sky man..I like lights..I want everyone to see me at night time..I wanta glow man.. :shock: Can a small lathe handle turning those 4" pullies Todd, I ask because I do not know..? I'm sure the motor can handle it but are the clamp downs large enough....

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”