missing carb part

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
fixbikes
Motorcycle: 1981 Yamaha 920R(for sale), 1999 HD Heritage Softail, repairs to all (1man shop)

missing carb part

Postby fixbikes » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:58 pm

First, let me rant for a second.
If you want to try to fix something yourself, at least make sure you don't have parts left over! Let me clarify. I fix MC's and ATV's (part time, can't make a living at it where the riding season is short), and once in a while, one comes in that someone else has had a poke at. Sometimes good, some times, well, like the one I have in now.
It was bought as "not running real good, needs tuned up and some electrical issues", so the new owners brought it to me.
The wiring involved someone putting a lot of aux. lighting on the bike, complete with crossed wires (they used speaker wire). It blew a 5 amp fuse. Solution? stick a 15 amp fuse in the slot. Results as you folks would expect. A melted fuse block. That was relatively easy.
Second issue, tune up? mixture screws turned out from 1 @ 2 1/2, 2 @ 3 1/2, last one (#3) @ almost 4 turns.
Thought to self: OK, this I can deal with, but first, let's clean 'em and set them up.
That is when that sinking feeling REALLY set in. One of the needle seats is missing. This is really a problem because this item, Honda part #16012-463-004 has been discontinued.
Anyone here have, or know where I can get one?
It is the little ribbed sleeve that sticks slightly into the carb bore, above the main jet assembly, that the needle drops into.
The beast in question is a 1981 GL1100 Interstate (I think, it could be an Aspencade, the model difference escapes me), and is equipped with 64a needles. All I need is that retched seat, but if someone has a NOS (or used) needle, seat and plug (reference #3 on the parts breakdown) that they would be willing to part with, PLEASE let me know, include postage to Canada in whatever price you set. (I ordered it from Metric Parts Outlet, a real easy $25 part according to the website, thought I was home free, they cancelled the order a day after I placed it, NLA!, Tag! I'm it again.)
And thanx kindly for letting me vent. I joined here not long ago, and have already picked up some really great shortcuts from the how-to section. I work on all makes and models, and see 2 or 3 GL's a year. The general knowledge stays put, but some of the individual details get rusty.
(This seasons high point so far was getting an acceleration hiccup and a bit of, ahem, deceleration flatulence out of a 1500 Valkyrie that had had a set of 6-into-6 pipes put on it. That was a fun test drive.)

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Re: missing carb part

Postby bustedwing » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:31 pm

Welcome (past tense) to the site and glad you are getting some useful information. I don't have any parts on hand, but am wishing I could have helped with the Valk,that would have been a blast.
Proud member Patriot Guard

Old Fogey
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:57 pm

Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

fixbikes
Motorcycle: 1981 Yamaha 920R(for sale), 1999 HD Heritage Softail, repairs to all (1man shop)

Postby fixbikes » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:31 pm

Tip of the hat to you, Old Fogey. Tried the link, they apparently have them in stock. Sent a message requesting a shipping quote. Maybe I'll be able to get the Wing finished and back to the customer.

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:46 pm

PM sent..................... 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

sheks
Motorcycle: 1980 GLI 1100 Interstate

Postby sheks » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:09 pm

hi there .
last month i sent the same part to a fellow gwd member , dont know if he used the part , i will look up his mail address. any how if he has used it i have another one in my magic box, let me know if you still need it ,i will send it to you , take into account 10 to 14 days postage!!!!
answer a.s p.
brian ex (shocko)

fixbikes

Postby fixbikes » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:29 pm

Thanx kindly sheks, but the link OLd Fogey sent me worked, and I have the part on order, and have my fingers crossed, but considering my luck so far, I am not holding my breath. It is coming from California, so it couldn't be a lot further away and stay in North America without crossing some ocean. I will give the postal services some time, and will post my results, good or bad, and holler HELP! again if need be.
The high point of this whole episode is finding this site, you folks have gone above and beyond to be helpful, (and from around the globe !). You folks wouldn't want to expand to cover other makes and models ? It would make my life (and shop dealings) a lot easier! I work on a lot of old bikes, many of them because the dealer shops don't want to work on the older bikes, and most of the other independent shops are brand specific, like the fellow 75 km south of me. Nice guy, ace mechanic, but if it isn't a Harley, he isn't interested. I will work on anything from a Z50 on up.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:18 am

something to remember to is that on the 81's the idle jets are pressed in..Welcome to the site..

sheks

Postby sheks » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:23 am

hi ,
i dont think he is refering to the idel jet as the the symtoms he is writting about, i believe its the needle guide thats missing?? :?

littlebeaver
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:47 pm

No no I understand, I was merely reminding him that the 80-81 slowjets are more than like clogged too a little because they always are, especially if a bike has been sitting for a long time..Please take no offense...Welcome to the site..When I got mine I had no idea where the idle jets were in the carbs.. :D

sheks

Postby sheks » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:47 pm

hell no!!! no offense taken, we are all here to help one another. living in a country where there are NO spares for gold wings and parts carry a high import tax , we try to improvise e.g. on a gl1100 set of carbs the idle was so blocked that anything i tried did not clean the jet so...
screwed a self tapping screw into the jet and with the help of a sliding hammer got it out , managed to get hold of a later model replaceable jet and machined it to the exact measurements of the old jet, heated the housing with a hair dryer and placed the jet in the freezer for a few hours .tapped it into the housing....works perfectly 8-)
hope he remembers to set the float level at 15.5mm
regards
Brian-alias Shocko

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:55 pm

Hey guy's check it out,,,I'm waiting on a old set of carbs to get here next week sometime..I am working on a idea that I think will work really well on extracting these jets, I have not done it yet with this tool, but in my small pea brain I feel it should work perfectly, at least when I visualize it...Here's is a photograph of the tool, it's a sink knob puller thingymagiggy-whatamacallit-thingamabob..I plan on tapping into the top of the jet and using a die of the same size as the tap I plan on grinding down the point to the correct diameter and threading it,,,,,I am going to drill out the female threads in the bar so it can move up and down freely, and I shall place a nut and washer at the top part which will be tightened and extract the jet, I might need to flip the bar over too..Think it will work..????????.I do.. :D I will take photo's and everything maybe even a video..there's one thing about me, I'm always trying to do something different..Love the slide hammer idea..
I have not done a thing to this tool yet, but I shall
I have not done a thing to this tool yet, but I shall
watch out Littlebeaver is at it again :lol: :lol: :lol: " Hey Fixbikes" I'm not trying to rob your post man I thought you would enjoy this stuff, have you found your part yet..???

fixbikes

Postby fixbikes » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:50 pm

Absolutely no offense to be taken. If a tidbit of advice is already known, a reminder can't hurt, and if it wasn't known, well, a used carb set in need of a rebuild is $150 or more from a wrecker.

It is the needle guide / seat that is missing. Still waiting on USPS / Customs / Canada Post. (Want to know why postage is so expensive ? 80% is storage fees!)
If I don't get it this week, I will contact the vendor and see if they can supply a tracking number.

And, yes, the jets are pressed in, but they weren't blocked, and as near as I can tell, are now clean.

Pressed in parts CAN be removed (older Hitachi carbs have pressed in parts, and others, but the parts that are pressed into a recessed location are a particular curse. ANYTHING can be pulled, with a little heat, and patience, but if you damage it pulling it out, you will need something to replace it (re sheks: having replacement jets machined down to an interference fit ? hurt-pain-ouch-sh**)

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:27 pm

Well if you're sure they are clean then I guess you are good to go... Should idle great and should take off very smoothly without hardly any gas on a level street... :D

fixbikes

Postby fixbikes » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:10 pm

An update for everyone that has been following this thread.
I GOT THE PART OUT OF THE MAILBOX TODAY !!! :D
Now I can get the hanger queen done and back to the customer.
FYI:
If you need the needle / seat / plug set (item 3 on the parts fiche), follow the link Old Fogey posted, at this moment, they have 2 more in stock, possibly the last 2 NOS left, and they seem to be real good folks to deal with (based on two messages back and forth, and one transaction, anyway.)

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”