timing belt tension

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

timing belt tension

Postby littlebeaver » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:54 pm

Hello folks, I was checking my timing with a timing light and I noticed that my marks were off the mark a little, well being the profectionist I am I remove everything off the rear end and swingarm and I inspected my vacuum advance [PG], I advanced the timing just a little and checked the timing with a timing light and my hand made inspection cap..Well the marks are showing to be different ok, see one mark was above the f-1 line and the other mark was below the F-2 line and I know darn well before they were the same, so off comes the timing covers and I set my timing marks to t-1 as if I were changing my belts, up is up, the two side marks are spot on...hummmm that's when I notice something, the tension on the left side was just a little too tight for me, I re-set the tension by just loosening that side a little bet, I put my caps all back on and fired it up and guess what, they are exactly the same now, lesson learned today, I never say it's good enough until my timing marks are spot on and the tension will knock it off, I was amazed at that, see even though the timing marks or arrows are on the money on the cam pullies, the tension on those belts had better be exactly the same, if not your going to be off a line when you check your timing with a timing light...Call me a profectionist but my bike runs freakin good.. Some of you would call it close enough, but not me..If you need a inspection cap just pm me..I'm going to recheck my clearances for my valves just for fun too..

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: timing belt tension

Postby RoadRogue » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:17 am

Thats good info there Martin . Thanks for sharing. I am like you I want my ride to be as good as I can make it.Thats why I am always tinkering with it 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Re: timing belt tension

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:39 am

Todd, I installed the neon coils you sent me and once I get the bike back together I will let you know if they make any difference or not, I saw no ccracks in my stock coils, I checked the timing with the stock coils then the neon coils and I saw no difference in the timing, so I am curious to see how it works riding it...I will report back Todd in a few days or maybe tomorrow..Thanks again for the coils.. :D They fit perfectly..

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”