1980 gl with toggle fan switch

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1980 goldwing gl1100 interstate

1980 gl with toggle fan switch

Postby 1980gl » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:48 pm

I recently bought a 1980 interstate. It has the retrofit toggle switch for the cooling fan rather than the thermo switch. My question is what do i do when i shut my bike off after riding should i leave the fan run for abit or is it o.k. to shut the fan right off. Eventually i will change it back because the constant worry of forgetting to turn it on is starting to get to me. Which leads me into my next question. Where is a good place to buy the switch? I see them new on ebay from a out of country supplier for about $80.00 or used on ebay for cheaper. I really want to buy new But would like to find a more "local" supplier. Oh another thing a fellow rider told me about was a site that had used riding gear for low costs. Has anyone heard of this? Thank You all for your time!

Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: 1980 gl with toggle fan switch

Postby RoadRogue » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:26 pm

You can use a thermo switch from a 94 Geo Metro 1.0L, It has the same on/off specs as the original gl1100 switch but the wire connector is a different configuration so you will have to rig up your own adaptor. Otherwise it will screw straight in and work as it should. You should be able to get it at your favorite auto parts store for less than $20. Hope this helps. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:02 pm

When operated by the thermo switch as it came from the factory, the bike shuts the fan off as soon as you turn the bike off - so turning off your switch at the same time certainly isn't going to hurt anything.

Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:21 am

Todd is correct on his information, the aftermarket fan switch...94 geo metro, I have played around with these little buggers for some time and learned a lot.. I learned that even though it's a 94 geo metro there are two different type engines for that year model, a brown engine type and a grey engine type for the metro, there are also differences in temps, here's an example, I got a switch for a metro that kicked the fan on before the halfway point, but on a different switch for the same year model it came on about 5/8 the way up on the gauge, the oem one is closer to 5/8 on the gauge when it kicks on, so you want the fan switch with the correct temp ranges...216 degrees is the one I have and its perfect..Grey engine I believe..I suggest you go to auto zone.com and look up that year model and look up the switch..I just took this switch off a geo metro so I could have the pigtail connector and I wanted to try out the switch too, it came on about half way [yellow one shown]...the homemade one shown with the posts is 5/8 on the gauge........ Or you could just buy one from Honda for a lot of cash..Here are my different switches... :lol:
don't laugh it works perfectly and has for years...
don't laugh it works perfectly and has for years...
pigtail connector and plugin for the oem plug
pigtail connector and plugin for the oem plug
These switches are 18mm and the pitch is 1.5 Todd is very correct the fan will come on sooner on one than the other is all..Not a lot of difference but I like mine closer to oem.. :D I only post this because I have spent a lot of my time playing around with these switches and I feel I have learned alot..

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”