OIl in fuel pump neck?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
heholdem
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

OIl in fuel pump neck?

Postby heholdem » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:04 pm

Hi All,
My tach cable broke last week and while I was replacing it today I pulled the fuel pump neck off to get better ease of access for its removal and instalation. To my surprise when I got it loose it started dripping oil.After getting it completely removed I looked inside and there was about 2 tablespoons worth of oil in it. I thought the neck was supposed to be a sealed system that should contain lith lube not oil. Might this be a future problem waiting to happen? Is there a seal on the cam end that is going bad, or might the previous owner\mechanic put the oil in there on purpose to lube the worm gear?

Btw it's an 81 GL1100i with about 40k on it.

Thanks

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: OIl in fuel pump neck?

Postby virgilmobile » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:46 am

There has been some debate about this.Some say that there should be a seal in the camshaft at the head and the pump lubed with grease.
I looked a 3 bikes that had never had any repairs done and none of them have a seal there.
I also could not find any parts list for one and by measuring diameter,I couldn't see how a seal that size could fit over the worm gear.
There is a machined notch for a seal,but remember,both heads are interchangeable and they do use a front seal.

So the short and long of it is.....It's OK as long as the oil stays inside the motor and not on the ground. :D

I'm not so sure that just a bunch of grease would last to long on the pump arm against a rotating shaft.
I'd rather have oil slopping around there all the time.

heholdem
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: OIl in fuel pump neck?

Postby heholdem » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:28 pm

Right on, thanks for the advice, oil it was and oil it shall continue to be. Have not smelled any gas in the oil or seen dramatic drops in level so i will assume all is good.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”