Heavy Steering


Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
dveight
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:21 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Motorcycle: 1980 goldwing gl1100 trike

Heavy Steering

Postby dveight » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:27 pm



Hi there , just become the proud owner of a Goldwing 1100 gl trike. the proble i have is that the steering is very heavy and turning corners is difficult at any sort of speed. i have checked the tyre pressure and air pressure in the forks (adjusted to 14lb as per book) all seem to be fine,,

Any sugestions, many thanks in anticipation....



User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Heavy Steering

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:39 pm

Do you know if the front rake angle has been altered? Trikes commonly have heavy steering after their conversion, which is why a lot of them will adjust the rake angle to decrease the caster on the front wheel, which lightens things up.

User avatar
scotterichmond
Posts: 613
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 3:49 pm
Location: Marblemount,wa
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000
[img]http://images.goldwingdocs.com/scotterichmond_32376/Modestly_restored_1975_GL1000_750/engine_repainted_even_new_embl_3919.jpg[/img]

Re: Heavy Steering

Postby scotterichmond » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:23 am

also, what condition are the steering head bearings in?

User avatar
82aspen
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:23 pm
Location: canuck eh!
Motorcycle: 82 aspencade

Re: Heavy Steering

Postby 82aspen » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:02 pm

check the rear end too, if you have original springs in the front they are likely shot and normal pressure, or even way more's not gonna work

if the rears are original, they are likely toast too (springs), easiest fix for 'em is fresh oil cos if not at the right level, they bottom out easy and normal air readings then don't mean much

EDIT - ooops, just noticed the trike part ..of which i know little..

User avatar
WA9FWT
Posts: 828
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:19 pm
Location: sheboygan WI U.S. A.
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Re: Heavy Steering

Postby WA9FWT » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:48 pm

dveight wrote:Hi there , just become the proud owner of a Goldwing 1100 gl trike. the proble i have is that the steering is very heavy and turning corners is difficult at any sort of speed. i have checked the tyre pressure and air pressure in the forks (adjusted to 14lb as per book) all seem to be fine,,

Any sugestions, many thanks in anticipation....

Welcome too the site from Sheboygan WI
I run 41 LBS in my front tire.And yes ,if you are use to only two wheels and leaning into the corners.A trike is a whole new game.As you can see on my set up, I have 4 tires now,and it did take some time to get use to it.I think I still lean in curves,but the bike doesn't at all. :lol: And it does steer hard, but in time you will get use to it. I really like my set up, don't have to worry about feet touching the ground or ever falling over. No spin outs on wet roads, can stop and the peace of mind not falling over.

One other thing I have found out is when it says 45MPH around that curve, it isn't 55 or more like when on two wheels.So I feel a lot safer now too "Really " I guess too at my age (73) I don't take chances any more either.I think a trike has a lot of advantages for safety in riding :)

WA9FWT Phil

User avatar
terryt
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:52 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Motorcycle: 1979 gl1000 trike

Re: Heavy Steering

Postby terryt » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:33 pm

I had the same problem on my gl1000 when i triked it. Heavy steering had to push and pull on bars, as it wanted to run straight
Steering wobble as you pull away up to about 20mph and when you back off. I was told that normal and you get use to it. NO not for me to dangerous. So I looked at different solutions leading link have the headstock altered to reduce the trail. So I done some calculations and the stock gl trail is 120mm witch is to much I was looking for about 45mm. So after some research I found a company that done the ezzi steer for their trikes on goldwings 1500/1800 and Harleys. When I talked to them they did not make them for the public only there trikes. So I had these made to my spec and you can ride one handed no stiff back and sore arms but more important no head shake at any speed
Attachments
trike with ezzi steer setup
trike with ezzi steer setup

dveight
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:21 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Motorcycle: 1980 goldwing gl1100 trike

Re: Heavy Steering

Postby dveight » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:44 pm

hi thanks for the hint.. i have been told by a trike proffesional that to change the rake on a goldwing will cost £2000.00 ukp minimum.. I hope yours was a lot cheeper..

Again many thanks.. much appreciated..

User avatar
terryt
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:52 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Motorcycle: 1979 gl1000 trike

Re: Heavy Steering

Postby terryt » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:54 pm

dveight wrote:hi thanks for the hint.. i have been told by a trike proffesional that to change the rake on a goldwing will cost £2000.00 ukp minimum.. I hope yours was a lot cheeper..

Again many thanks.. much appreciated..

It was i made the template gave it to the local engineer he made them £250.00P YES . :D all i had to do was fit them.
you can get some new tripple tree yokes for a lot less then what he asking for.

User avatar
WA9FWT
Posts: 828
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:19 pm
Location: sheboygan WI U.S. A.
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Re: Heavy Steering

Postby WA9FWT » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:14 pm

terryt wrote:I had the same problem on my gl1000 when i triked it. Heavy steering had to push and pull on bars, as it wanted to run straight
Steering wobble as you pull away up to about 20mph and when you back off. I was told that normal and you get use to it. NO not for me to dangerous. So I looked at different solutions leading link have the headstock altered to reduce the trail. So I done some calculations and the stock gl trail is 120mm witch is to much I was looking for about 45mm. So after some research I found a company that done the ezzi steer for their trikes on goldwings 1500/1800 and Harleys. When I talked to them they did not make them for the public only there trikes. So I had these made to my spec and you can ride one handed no stiff back and sore arms but more important no head shake at any speed


As you can see by my Picture,mine is not a real Trike.I have 4 wheels and have never had any head shake unless I go over a high railroad track.It looks like you have a lot of rake on yours, if that was part it sure worked out for you.It did take me some adjusting to get it too track straight right off the bat, but it is fine now. The thing I can't get useto is leaning in curves, I lean but the bike doesn't :lol:

WA9FWT Phil




Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 3 guests