Blinker Relay, 40MPH EEEEEEEEE, and Counter Weight

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
heholdem
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Blinker Relay, 40MPH EEEEEEEEE, and Counter Weight

Postby heholdem » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:01 pm

Hi All,
A little preface.
So a couple of months back a guy made a left in front of me and after hard braking trying to swerve to miss him and not going in to oncoming traffic I ran out of room and had no choice but to lay my baby down. Collision resulted in me hitting his rear tire and mashing the forks up and in to the radiator. I had a little RR on my hip and elbow but walked away...... his truck, no damage. Being concerned about the straightness of the frame I took my bike to a local shop where they would check the frame and replace the front end, all ended up well.
So today I leave work ride about 1/2 mile to an auto parts store to get a part for my wife's VW Beetle (BTW don't ever buy one they are CRAP) and as i turn the bike off i hear this BZZZZZZZZZ sound, traced it back to the blinker relay, tried the signals and nothing, so assuming that the relay was burnt out i disconected it. Made a couple of more stops and then headed home. When i got to 40 mph i hear this alarm going EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE under 40 no alarm over 40 EEEEEEEEEEEEE

So Q 1 What is the alarm normally supposed to signal when speed above 40 is reached? I say normally because after further inspection, it turns out that the speaker unit for the alarm, which i also think has the click click sound for the signals, is touching the mounting bolt for the speedo and tach rack and appears to be shorting out, which may be why the relay is now blown.

Q 2 Is there a spec for the counterweight where the alarm speaker is mounted? Where should it be in relation to the tree? Or can i just drop it an inch and call it good? My guess is the shop that did the work just slapped it back together......

Q 3 If, after further review i find that the relay is blown and not just being wacky because of the short, should i look at going with the 2 prong mechanical or the 3 prong 'lectric

Thanks a bunch
Love this site
and love my bike

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Blinker Relay, 40MPH EEEEEEEEE, and Counter Weight

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:07 pm

There's something not working right, but what you're encountering has something to do with the turn signal auto-cancel system. Why it's causing the alarm to go off like that, I don't know. A lot of bikes don't have that speaker at all, having had it ripped out by people who hate them. The bike would function just fine without it. :) But I'd first want to find out what's malfunctioning.

heholdem
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Blinker Relay, 40MPH EEEEEEEEE, and Counter Weight

Postby heholdem » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:12 pm

Well, after dinner, a little relaxation, and letting the temp fall to a cool 97 degrees, I went out and did some more digging. The little speaker thingy that was making the EEEEEEEEEEEE noise as it turns out was not mounted properly, infact it wasn't mounted at all! Looks like the guys at the bike shop just shoved it up under the speedo and kind of wedged it in to place. Where it was wedged put it in a position so that the metal faceplate on it, that sits on top of the metal speaker itself, was about a mm away from one of the bolts that hold the speedometer. Any movement by the front end would cause it to contact that bolt and cause a short.
After loosening and removing the left side counterweight bracket i, using some good old fashioned spit and elbow grease, literally, was able to get a square rubber peg on the speaker casing in to a square metal hole on the counterweight bracket. I reconnected the signal relay, turned the key and ta da no buzz from the relay and all the signal lights work. Went for a short test drive to get the speed up over 40 and no more alarm Yay! :D
Only makes me wonder though, if they took that shortcut, what other shortcuts might they have made when replacing the front end?!? :shock:

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”