82 GL1100A - New baffles, happy bike

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
bbells
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

82 GL1100A - New baffles, happy bike

Postby bbells » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:23 pm

Just an FYI and part number if someone has been considering quieting down their GW. I would rate this as a relatively easy project.
I just yanked out the old baffles (silencers) and put in new ones. My bike is now happy. I can no longer hear the exhaust when traveling at 55-60. My MP3 can be at 1/2 its old volume. It actually gives the illusion that it is running at a lower rpm.
I tried both methods of removing the old baffles. The slide hammer did not work. I believe the hook got caught on the unmovable cut out in the exhaust on the interior side of the baffle. So I pried them out with a big screwdriver. Both baffles were destroyed, but no loss. They were pretty much gone before I removed them anyways. The fiberglass packing was almost as hard as a piece of wood it was so packed with carbon and crap.
Note: On one muffler it appears the outer end (big end) part of the baffle rust welded to the exhaust pipe. This piece had to be removed before the new baffles would fit.
The original baffles OD was 1 7/8" on the big end. The tube OD was 1 1/8 inches. The entire assembly was 8" long.
I bought 2 of the following part to replace them ($17 total). Custom Chrome 280019. 1 7/8" OD on the big end, 1 1/4" OD on the tube, 8" total length. They fit perfectly in the GL1100 Aspencade exhaust. The long tube of the new baffle was 1/8" bigger than the original - The new one was 1 1/4". Which was fine, since it didn't really need to fit in the 1 1/8" hole which is slightly over 8" into the muffler.
Note: If you buy baffles off the net any with triangular stamped holes means the pointed part is bent 90 degrees into the baffle. When you look in the end you cannot see from one end to the other - The points are in the way. I bent the points back before installing the baffle - I could be wrong, but I thought they would be too restrictive. To bend the points back, I first pounded a 1/2" rod through each one. Then I pounded through a long 1/2" socket extension.
I wrapped the baffle with as much fiberglass fabric (bondo fabric for cars) as I could. Then used a zip tie to hold the fabric on. Slid the baffles in, replaced the rivet, and I was done. I replaced the rivet instead of using the bolts that came with the baffles because the chrome ends of the Aspencade's muffler would not fit over the bolt head.
I am not sure if it is now as quiet as new, but it is definitely quieter than the baffles I took out. They died somewhere between Dennis Kirk's store on 35, and Two Harbors, MN on the North Shore of Superior.

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Re: 82 GL1100A - New baffles, happy bike

Postby SteveB123 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:36 pm

Please tell me you took pics of the process.....!
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

bbells
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

Re: 82 GL1100A - New baffles, happy bike

Postby bbells » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:01 pm

Sorry no pics. It was pretty simple, so I didn't bother once I started. I think next time I wrap the baffles I will use some of the more expensive packing material. I used the fiberglass cloth because i had some around. But, After about 100 miles it is slightly louder than when I started out. Still much quieter than before, though.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”