Smoke coming out of left tail pipe

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Carbide
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing Aspencade

Smoke coming out of left tail pipe

Postby Carbide » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:06 am

I recently changed to a synthetic oil.

I was told that it might break a lot of deposits loose in the enigine.

My problem...

After about 500 miles, the bike started running at high temps, and when I would come to a light and take off, I would get an enormous cloud of smoke coming out of the left tail pipe.

It would burn off and clear up after about 500 yards, but happen again as soon as I came down to a slow roll or a stop, or when I would place the throttle under a heavy load.

I also noticed that oil was blowing out the left side of the motor. I'm not sure if this only happened when it was smoking or full time.

Is it possible that I have broke loose some deposits in the motor, and have clogged up a journal, or does this sound like, a sticky valve?

I thought it might have been a blown head gasket, but there was no milky oil in the crankcase.

The Goldwing is a "82" GL1100 A with 48,000 "easy" miles.

Please advise.

Thanks ,

Carbide

Bamaeagle
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 w/Tow Pac
1997 GL1500

Re: Smoke coming out of left tail pipe

Postby Bamaeagle » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:58 am

I changed mine to synthetic oil and did not have this type of problem.

Are you sure you did not over fill with oil when you changed it?

If you over filled it then you would see what you are discribing.

Not sure why changing oil would make it run at high temps. I would look at the cooling system for this problem. The oil does not cool the engine...it only lubes it and the clutch.

Just my .02 worth.
JERRY

Ride Safe Always!!!

Roll Tide Roll !!

Darksider #1147

Double Darkside - Bridgestone Battlax BT45 130/70/18 Front, Achiles Platinum 195/60/R16 Rear (GL1800)

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:02 am

Probably have a blown head gasket that is only leaking into the combustion chamber and not the crankcase. Is there any smell to the smoke?
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Carbide

Postby Carbide » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:39 am

Yeah ... Oil smell looks blue.. but very light .. I was thinking the same thing... Blown head Gasket, but the smoke is a very light blue and was wondering if it might be because of the new synthetic oil that it would be a lighter color than the typical blue smoke from oil burn.

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:44 pm

Since you have no coolant in the oil or oil in your coolant, I believe you have a broken valve seal which would have happened no matter what oil you were using. Those seals get old and brittle and when the rpms drop the oil has a chance to dribble into the combustion chamber without being burnt too well, when you raise the rpms the oil is then burnt. These seals can be changed on some engines without pulling the heads , but I am not sure about that one.Maybe somebody else can chime in on that.
Proud member Patriot Guard

zamboni920
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 SE with Hannigan 2+2 sidecar

Postby zamboni920 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:42 pm

Try a compression test....left cylinders vs. right.

Carbide

Postby Carbide » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:58 pm

Can anyone confirm the ability to remove the valve seals without removing the heads on the GL1100A engine?
This is the second person that has stated that the problem could be a seal situation on the valves... Please advise ?

bustedwing

Postby bustedwing » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:57 am

I believe since the valve covers are exposed and easy to get to that the job would be relitivly easy. Would involve taking the valve covers off, spark plugs out, apply air pressure to the cylinder you are working on, you will to remove the rocker arms, then using a valve tool to remove the keepers .It pushes down on the spring until the keepers are exposed, then using a small magnet you remove the keepers.then release the valve tool, remove the spring exposing the seal. replace the seal,reverse procedure.Repeat for all cylinders. You will have to adjust valve clearences once you are done.The way you apply air to the cylinder is thru the spark plug hole using a special fitting that looks like the threads of a spark plug but has a fitting for air hose . The reason for this is to hold the valves closed while you are doing the seal replacment, you don't want the valves to drop into the cylinder.I would suggest downloading a manual which I believe is available on this site before you tackle this job just to have on hand . You will need the torque specs for the rocker arms and the valve clearences.

bbells
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

Postby bbells » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:58 pm

I would do a couple things:
1) Make very sure your oil is not overfilled.
2) Make sure your idle mixture is fine.
3) Fill your cylinders with seafoam and let them sit overnight. This will sometimes loosen a stuck ring. Do not turn over the engine with the spark plugs in when the cylinders are filled with fluid.
4) Make sure you used the right weight oil. 0-30 won't work in engines like this. I prefer 15-40 or similar.

moffat
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100
Interstate

Postby moffat » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:17 am

I have had a lot of haasle with my 1982 GL1100 with smoke from the left hand side exhaust. I have had the engine rebored and the heads and valve seals checked with new seals fitted as a matter of course. I came to the following conclusions and have recommendations for what its worth.
1- use the correct oil recommended for the machine- It is 10-40 MINERAL Oil for a British climate. Synthetic oil is not recommended as the clutch is a wet clutch and synthetic oil can cause to clutch to slip. I also find that the GL1100 is very sensitive to the correct grade and level as have tried various grades from 20-40 downwards and the machine works best with mineral 10-40 here in UK.
2- Even after I checked the cylinder head valves clearance between the valve stems and the guides as per the manual the machine still burned oil so off with the head again and I fitted new valve guides there was evidence on the valve stems of burnt oil deposits .So I put new valve guides and existing valves with seals back together after carefully measuring the valve stems all the way along to check for wear. This stopped the oil burning apart from a slight puff of blue smoke or so at start up from the left hand side which is usual with these engines-I mean SLIGHT not clouds of smoke.
3-You will hear a lot about Goldwings burning oil on start up from the left hand side if the machine is left on its side stand. This is due to the fact that these engines have the left hand cylinders lubricated by pressure from the oil pump wheras the right habd side cylinderrs rely on splash lubrication from below. Thus if the machine is left on the side stand some residual oil may leak past the piston rings into the cylinders and /stems/ guide wear as oil will get sucked in the cylinders due to the vaccum from the carbs on decelletation and when the throttle is opened the oilburns- and the inlet valve is more susceptable to this than the exhaust. Thats why on some big American V 8 cars only the inlet valves have oil stem seals. I always put my machine on the centre stand .
5- You can remove the the valve springs and change the oil seals with out removing the head. You will need an external valve spring compressor and study the thread available on this website by OLD FOGEY which is excellent.
6- I would do as much analaysis as sensible before pulling the enginge apart as it can be a costly business. Ensure that the cylinder pressure are withing 10 psi of each other, the pressure on a new machine according to the book is 171 PSI at sea level. Test the pressures BUT ENSURE the throttle is open and the kill switch is off. If pressure are below 145 then put a teaspon full of oil into the cylinders and if the pressure is noticibly higher on the next test then the rings bores probably are worn.
Hope this helps

hockeystuff54
Motorcycle: 1980 honda goldwing gl 1100

Postby hockeystuff54 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:07 pm

i had a similar problem and found that i had overfilled the crank case with oil,when it was running it gave of huge amouts of white somke ,the oil had gotten into the exhaust pipes and it burned off in pure white smoke,i checked the oil level and found it was high,lesson never check the oil level in the dark.my problem started when the bike fell over ,it burned white smoke for almost an hour ,and when it was in gear it just looked like the bike was on fire,id check the oil level first

moffat
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100
Interstate

Postby moffat » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:10 am

Whire smoke sound more like coolant than the blue smoke associated with Oil ??????????

Phavas
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000 x 2, 1977 GL1000 x 3, 1981 GL1100 Sidecar, CB750 K8 CB 550 K8, 1954 Velocette MSS, 1937 Velocette KSS, 1932 Norton 16, 1946 AJS 18, 1948 Vincent Rapide, BMW R 100 RT1, BMW GS 80, BMW R60/7, 1936 Halcyon 50, 2003 Triumph Trophy 1200, 1994 Honda CB750 twin cam and still looking...

Postby Phavas » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:50 am

5- You can remove the the valve springs and change the oil seals with out removing the head. You will need an external valve spring compressor and study the thread available on this website by OLD FOGEY which is excellent.

WHAT? How are you going to stop the valve from falling into the cylinder?
Crank the engine up to hold the valve and risk bending it?
I know this is an old thread, but this bit of info is just weird.
Cheers,
Zaphod
Writing roughshod over the English language

urbanmadness
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100A Aspencade *sold
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby urbanmadness » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:19 pm

you use compressed air with a chuck that replaces the spark plug to pressurize the cylinder to keep the valve in place while you remove the keeper, springs, seals, etc. Mechanics have been doing it that way for years.

When my dad and grandfather use to race super modifieds in the late 60's and early 70's, they used to replace valve spings using the same technique.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:49 pm

urbanmadness wrote:you use compressed air with a chuck that replaces the spark plug to pressurize the cylinder to keep the valve in place while you remove the keeper, springs, seals, etc. Mechanics have been doing it that way for years.

When my dad and grandfather use to race super modifieds in the late 60's and early 70's, they used to replace valve spings using the same technique.

You can also do it by threading a thick, soft rope into the cylinder through the plug hole, then rotate the engine so that the piston compresses the rope up against the bottom of the valves, holding them in place. When done, rotate the piston back down and pull the rope out.

1fastgl1100
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A and 1982 GL1100A Modified

Postby 1fastgl1100 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:39 pm

alot of work... its so easy to pull the head, do valve job correctly and replace the head gaskets... that covers all the bases and you should have no more leaks.

bustedwing

Postby bustedwing » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:28 pm

I agree with Urbanmadness, I have done it that way although not on a Gold Wing and know it can be done. Using an air chuck that takes the place of the spark plug, you fill the cylinder with air, which holds the valves closed, then using a tool that allows you to compress the spring enough to remove the keeper, remove both then remove the old seal, install a new one, reverse the process. Why remove a cylinder head when you can do the job in very little time?

Phavas
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000 x 2, 1977 GL1000 x 3, 1981 GL1100 Sidecar, CB750 K8 CB 550 K8, 1954 Velocette MSS, 1937 Velocette KSS, 1932 Norton 16, 1946 AJS 18, 1948 Vincent Rapide, BMW R 100 RT1, BMW GS 80, BMW R60/7, 1936 Halcyon 50, 2003 Triumph Trophy 1200, 1994 Honda CB750 twin cam and still looking...

Postby Phavas » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:41 pm

I reactivated this thread, so I'll take responsibility:
I have put a quart of Bardahl "smoke no more" or whatever the oil thickener is called. Could very well be STP.
Anyway, it smokes like a **** on start up and leans out when it's warm but I still can see puffs on idle after the fan is running.
It did reduce when I disconnected the vacuum advance and blocked off the vacuum port - throttle response improved but I still get the bag of nails occasionally on lugging which tells me the mechanical timing is still too advanced but on these F+++ing motors you have to remove the engine from the frame to do anything about the distributor - a major disincentive.
Ergo: I have 4 more heads and I will assemble one and replace the smoking side with a newer piece.
Even though the points ignition os the GL1000 was a pain in the ass, it did allow finer tuning of the motor.
I am thinking of putting a GL1000 cam and distributer with DYNA ignition on this engine; has anyone done this or heard of it being done?
Not too complicated: just re-route the electrics with a new upper frame harness (GL1000) and a couple of capacitors. The electrics are easy.

Cheers,
Zaphod
Writing roughshod over the English language

Franchise2k
Motorcycle: 1976 Goldwing Cafe Bike

Postby Franchise2k » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:43 pm

Phavas wrote:

WHAT? How are you going to stop the valve from falling into the cylinder?
Crank the engine up to hold the valve and risk bending it?
I know this is an old thread, but this bit of info is just weird.
Cheers,
Zaphod

Umm.... you might want to study mechanics a little bit longer, (and read a few posts right here on this very page!) before you post on a site and make a fool of yourself.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:45 pm

No, he's actually right - the valve will fall into the cylinder if you don't take precautions first.

There are two ways to do this, so that you can replace the valve seal without pulling the head.

The first is to get a screw-in adaptor for an air line, so that it will fit into the spark plug hole. Rotate the engine so that both valves are closed, introduce air pressure into the cylinder (and keep it pressurized), and this will keep the valves in place while you remove the springs and oil seals.

The second way is to remove the spark plug and feed in a soft, cotton rope into the cylinder when the piston is near the bottom of its travel. Feed in as much rope as you can. Then rotate the engine so that the piston compresses the rope up against the bottom of the valves. This will hold the valves in place while you remove and replace the springs and seals. When finished, rotate the engine back a bit and pull the rope back out of the cylinder.

f1xrupr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 Std. Vetter

Postby f1xrupr » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:34 pm

I've done the air pressure thing on a dodge 225 slant 6-worked great....never heard of the rope trick-that's neat!
I run synthetic in my 1100-works great!
Hey-I had a thought-you changed oil types-maybe the engine cleand a little and took a puke in that little canister down behind the engine and filled it, and it needs dumped, and is overflowing into the carb. Sounds like that or a blown head gasket-not a valve seal.
My exercise bike is a goldwing.

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200

Postby Maz » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:39 am

I replaced my valve stem oil seals a few weeks ago, using the 'rope in the cylinder' trick. Works a treat and if you don't have access to a compressor or a modified spark plug body, it's the only way to go.

Maz

Nostalgia is not what it used to be!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”