To much fuel.

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
tazland12002
Motorcycle: 1980 goldwing 1100

To much fuel.

Postby tazland12002 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:10 am

Ok I recently aquired a 1980 gl1100. Had been sitting for an admited 3 yrs. I feel it might have been longer. However upon new battery install I can get it to fire up, althought at first won't idle on its own. I have bee running seafoam through it and has improved on how it runs. And will occasionally idle on its own for short periods. Get storng gas oder from exhaust as if it not burning it all. Also noticed some fuel in the oil to begin with. I am guessing that I have a stuck float. I was hoping to get some insight as what I can try prior to a carb rebuild as I wanna get an idea of the shape the motor itself is in. Any ideas?

Thanx, James

scotterichmond
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000
[img]http://images.goldwingdocs.com/scotterichmond_32376/Modestly_restored_1975_GL1000_750/engine_repainted_even_new_embl_3919.jpg[/img]

Re: To much fuel.

Postby scotterichmond » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:39 pm

I know this is not what you wanted to hear but, if you want the bike to be reliable you are going to have to go through the carbs.

here is the place I recommend for how to and parts:

http://randakks.com/TechTips.htm#AA

Scott

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:14 pm

Something you need to know about your 80 model, the idle jets are pressed in, I know I sound like a busted record here, but listen to me, if you want your cycle to idle proper and if you want your bike to glide away by just releasing your clutch and in a smooth manner you will listen up...You can buy a new kit if you want to, probably would be a good idea, heck you can replace everything you can until your blue in the face really, but if those idle jets don't come out and get cleaned up the bike will never idle correctly..Now once you get them out and cleaned up proper, then you can elminate that as a problem..Those jets must be free and clear for the bike to idle proper..You can never really sync. the carbs correctly if it's not idling proper. So many things to cover and check, like all the air passages in the carbs, I'm talking about the air passages from the cutoff valves up to the towers, I run a fishing line through them to make sure the passage is clear, also check the cover plates to the air cutoff valves, sometimes they are clogged, the slides need to be cleaned and polished so they slide up and down without sticking, the float heights need checked and set proper, check main jets, make sure the accellerator pump isn't sticking. Check and set the idle screws, check the ohms in the spark wires and coils, check the plug from the pulse generator for a good connection.. Get all that done, then you can sync. the carbs.. Test your vacuum advance too.

chuckrts
Motorcycle: 1980 Gl1100 I
1981 Gl1100 naked

Postby chuckrts » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:12 pm

Easy fix: 1. remove carbs, 2. make sure they have no gas left in the carbs. 3. wrap them up and put into box for shipping.
Send email to: petesgl@comcast.net.
He will give you his address to ship the carbs to. His website: http://www.oldwings.com/
Now I don't get a dime from Pete, but 6 months screwing with carbs on my 1981 wing. Sent him my setup. 1 month later got it back, bolt it up and it ran great.

Just a suggestion.

Chuck

tazland12002
Motorcycle: 1980 goldwing 1100

Postby tazland12002 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:42 pm

Thanks for the reponses . I will order rebuilt kit once randakks site is back up on the ninth. Wish me luck.
James

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”