one for the GURU'S

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
sheks
Motorcycle: 1980 GLI 1100 Interstate

one for the GURU'S

Postby sheks » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:59 am

:? I managed to find a kph speedometer for my 1980 GL1100
When I removed the mph speedometer it had 2 wiring harnesses on the back which I believe are for the indicator buzzer and the rear air suspension warning light respectively (3 wires in each harness)
The kph speedometer has only 2 wires coming out next to the cable connection - the colours of the wires are green and white with a black stripe respectively.
Can anyone tell me what these 2 wires are for and how to connect them.
Since the fitting of the kpa speedometer the red warning light for the rear suspension is on permanently!
In anticipation
Sheks /Shocko

scotterichmond
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000
[img]http://images.goldwingdocs.com/scotterichmond_32376/Modestly_restored_1975_GL1000_750/engine_repainted_even_new_embl_3919.jpg[/img]

Re: one for the GURU'S

Postby scotterichmond » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:32 pm

well that's going to be a little tougher to fix. that speedo was only for europe bikes. there are many differnces for the bikes from the otherside. It will be necessary to get a schematic for the EU model.

At least I think so.

Scott

fixbikes
Motorcycle: 1981 Yamaha 920R(for sale), 1999 HD Heritage Softail, repairs to all (1man shop)

Postby fixbikes » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:08 pm

I will check the customers bike I have in the shop and see what the wiring looks like (it is an 81), a Canadian model should be in KPH and may be closer to the US model than the EU version as far as wiring is concerned, and may have the six wires. Will let you know in a day or so, or send a message to Rogue, he had/has a couple of parts bikes and they may be in KPH as well.

sheks

Postby sheks » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:17 am

thanks for the interest and answers,the speedo came off a Canadian model!

fixbikes could you look at the bike in your shop and see if has a red light for the rear air shocks? if so then the two wires coming out of the Canadian speedo probably activate the light,, what do you think??
i will also try to get into a european site and ask them if anyone there has the correct wiring diagram

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Postby SteveB123 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:50 am

I'm confused.
The new speedo has indicaters for the suspension, and internal lamps, and only has TWO wires?
My air suspension indicator is on the tach!

Mine is canadian, 200kmh, btw.
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

sheks

Postby sheks » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:16 pm

ok let me try and explain !! the air suspension warning light is on the rpm gauge BUT its actuated by a sensor\generator on the speedometer that illuminates the red light on the rpm gauge at 15 kph if there is a fault in the system ?. on the american model there are six wires connected to the mph speedo, the canadian has two ; WHERE DO THEY GO? :?
Thanx
Sheks/Shocko

fixbikes
Motorcycle: 1981 Yamaha 920R(for sale), 1999 HD Heritage Softail, repairs to all (1man shop)

Postby fixbikes » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:25 pm

OK, now I am confused. Checked the 81 GL in the shop. It appears to have 6 wires going into the back of it, (2 sheathed bundles). I did not pull it off, just turned the front end to the lock and checked, maybe the speedo you have is off a naked/base model ?
EDIT: re-read your post, you say you have the lights, but only 2 wires. Repeat first sentence.

briguybro
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100

Postby briguybro » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:55 pm

1-disc that spins with speedo.      2-sensor that reads disc.     3-the six wires mentioned on posts.     4-the two wire version mentioned on post which snaps to the back of the speedo housing for easy replacement
1-disc that spins with speedo. 2-sensor that reads disc. 3-the six wires mentioned on posts. 4-the two wire version mentioned on post which snaps to the back of the speedo housing for easy replacement
I'm doing a similar swap and opened up both speedometers and attach a photo of the insides. I also don't know how to rewire or what each wire does, but perhaps by uploading a photo someone here will come up with an idea. As far as I know, the speedo on the left is a 1982 85MPH (6 wires) and the one on the right is a 1983 150MPH speedo (2 wires). I imagine your kph version is the same as my 150MPH version internally. I had to take them apart because the 85MPH was broke and the 150MPH had a broken pin on the trip meter that I wanted to replace. I was hoping that I could just swap the electronics to keep the wiring the same, but the 150MPH speedo does not have the sensor disc (labeled 1 on photo) on the speedo. My turn signals, indicator lights, and brake lights still work with the wires cut so I may not worry about it unless someone with more knowledge can post saying what each wire is for. My rear air suspension light is disconnected anyway because I have after market rear suspension.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”