coil?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
pulitjer
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100i

coil?

Postby pulitjer » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:09 pm

Ive been having carb problems , i thought, but i believe its a coil problem now. The front two cylinders started not to fire so i pulled the plug wire off the rt. Front cylinder part way and it started to kick in. Did the same thing to the other side and got the same results. Put them both back on and it quit firing. I checked the pulse generator conection and it was working properly. The plugs are gaped corectly also. Im wondering if i have a weak coil that runs 1&2. It does seem , at times, fire, but it seem to be very week . I can smell raw fuel now. It sounds weird but if you pull off one of the rear cylinder plug wires it kills the motor as if they both have to be conected or it wont spark. The two rearcylinders seem strong and fire corectly. Hope i havent confused you all!!! Carbs have been rebuilt and syned . At high rpm it does this also. It seems to have gotten worse today. Coil??????? Seems to be? Just need some reasurance before i get a replacement set. Any input?

scotterichmond
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000
[img]http://images.goldwingdocs.com/scotterichmond_32376/Modestly_restored_1975_GL1000_750/engine_repainted_even_new_embl_3919.jpg[/img]

Re: coil?

Postby scotterichmond » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:21 am

You maybe on to something, test your therory by reversing the primary leads on the coils ,and see if the spark issue switches too ! It is also good input to know if the carbs have the same amount of fuel in each bowl. Drain them (remove the drain plugs one at a time and count) and count how many seconds each drains, In theroy they should be the same.

pulitjer

Postby pulitjer » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:00 am

Low levels are good. getting enough fuel. I have have this problem on an off. Just got worse yesterday

pulitjer

Postby pulitjer » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:02 am

I meant to say float levels are good

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:04 am

pulitjer wrote:Ive been having carb problems , i thought, but i believe its a coil problem now. The front two cylinders started not to fire so i pulled the plug wire off the rt. Front cylinder part way and it started to kick in. Did the same thing to the other side and got the same results. Put them both back on and it quit firing. I checked the pulse generator conection and it was working properly. The plugs are gaped corectly also. Im wondering if i have a weak coil that runs 1&2. It does seem , at times, fire, but it seem to be very week . I can smell raw fuel now. It sounds weird but if you pull off one of the rear cylinder plug wires it kills the motor as if they both have to be conected or it wont spark. The two rearcylinders seem strong and fire corectly. Hope i havent confused you all!!! Carbs have been rebuilt and syned . At high rpm it does this also. It seems to have gotten worse today. Coil??????? Seems to be? Just need some reasurance before i get a replacement set. Any input?

I had a coil go bad at the beginning of spring. First I would like to encourage you to NOT pull plug wires off while running. Next, pull the plugs that are in 1 &2 and check for condition. If it is a coil issue, they will be covered with what seems like soot, and not look good. There is a lot you can tell from the condition of the plugs. Do a search in the forum and you can find some links to that.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”