major fuel problem? 1980 GL 1100

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
whimsmith
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

major fuel problem? 1980 GL 1100

Postby whimsmith » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:41 am

Just had a lot (read $$) of work done on my engine. Head gaskets, timing belt, carbs etc. Rode the bike from the shop home, 22 miles, rode the bike 12 miles next day when it quit. Bike tried to run on 2 cylindeers then quit that as well. Not getting fuel is my guess. Two new filters were installed also. Any help out there? Possible garbage in tank? Any solutions if that's the problem? The mechanic told me they empied the tank and cleaned it out. What I was told, I wasn't there to see it happen.
Also, when I first run the bike I get a lot of smoke from somewhere underneath where I sit. Can't pinpoint any specific area yet.
I'd really like to get things right, but after three trips to the shop, I'm beginning to wonder. And yes, I know the bike is old, but then so am I, and I don't have anywhere near as many problems as my bike.
Greatly appreciate any help.
TIA
Whimsmith

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Re: major fuel problem? 1980 GL 1100

Postby bustedwing » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:39 pm

Did the bike sit for a long time before you started this process?If so you may have ended up with junk in the carbs. It sounds like it may have ran down until the junk got into the carbs and clogged them up. Start from scratch, check spark on all cyls, if good, check fuel flow from tank to carbs, if good then the problem is in the carbs. Somehow some of the gunk got past the filter and into the carbs. You can try Sea Foam but if it is that plugged up I am not too sure it will break it loose.
Proud member Patriot Guard

whimsmith
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

Postby whimsmith » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:11 pm

Thanks for the input. All carbs rebuilt, new plugs and wires, new filters, fuel pump works fine. Looked at gas tank and saw some discoloratiion, but not enough to clog filters or screens in tank. Got me buggered.
And now, to add insult to injury, lots of smoke, white, coming from the left side. Hoping against hope that I don't need a valve job. After all I've spent so far, that would really torque my jaw.
Whimsmith

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:21 pm

Take a compression test, dry and wet. Usually white smoke is water and means head gasket and I know you just had them changed but the only way to know is compression test.

Proud member Patriot Guard

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”