new battery won't hold charge

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
aznyaz
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100I

new battery won't hold charge

Postby aznyaz » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:53 am

Hey all. This is my second post here and I have a more specific question about an '81 GL1100I that I'm looking to buy from a local Goldwing shop. It seems like a pretty solid bike but one issue is that a new battery (according to the guy/mechanic selling it) that is installed doesn't seem to want to hold a charge very well. I started the bike up yesterday but was very slow cranking. Once started, the engine runs smoothly so that would indicate(?) that the stator is working properly. What could be causing this problem.

This was my dream bike back in the 80's and then I stopped riding. It is once again my dream bike because it's local and has only 13K miles on it. I haven't yet bought the bike and I don't want a project right from the start (that will come later) but would hate to pass up on this opportunity. My hope is, since the guy selling it is a mechanic, he will make it right.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

MJ

aznyaz

Re: new battery won't hold charge

Postby aznyaz » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:58 am

Been thinking about this and wondering if it's something else. I'm not sure if the battery is losing charge. It could be the starter is dragging. I had this happen to my Jeep with a faily new battery where it seemed like it was running down everytime I started it, but then would run fine. This is pretty much the same thing happening on the wing. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

MJ

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Postby SteveB123 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:14 am

Voltage check, and then check for current draw when everything is off.

Starter freshening is in the How-To articles. Well worth it.
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

aznyaz

Postby aznyaz » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:40 am

OK, here's where I get real "whiney". I'm not completely there when it comes to things electrical such as "voltage checks" and "current draw when everything is off". What does it all mean? I didn't sleep at a Hoiday Inn last night either, but I did read the starter freshening article and it helped.

I love this site! Can't wait to get the bike already.

MJ

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Postby HALBUDD » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:56 pm

To do a voltage check you will need a volt meter, start the bike up take the volt meter and put on DC volts set it for a least 20volts DC. Put the black lead on the negative of the battery and the red lead on the positive side of the battery. At 3000 rpms you should read anywhere from 13 to 14 volts DC. If not then you have a problem could be the stater or the voltage regulator. if the guy selling the bike will let you you can check the stater buy doing a voltage check using AC not DC. but this is a little more involved. Look in the how to articles. You should be reading around 70 volts AC on each of the three yellow wires,this will tell you if the stater is good or not. and good luck (note) if the three yellow wires have the old plug still on them this could also be a bad connection as they have been known to melt and cause the stater not to be able to pass the AC voltage to the regulator. Hal
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

aznyaz

Postby aznyaz » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:05 pm

Thanks Hal, the first one's easy enough. I've checked the charge on my Jeep that way. I've looked for how-to articles on the stator but there's nothing listed for the GL1100. I would imagine there's one for the 1200 since that's the model I've heard gives all the trouble in that area. Is the connection block on the 1100 the same as the 1200? Is it behind the battery? How is the meter connected to the wires to test for the AC voltage?

Lotta questions. I'm just that way.

Thanks for your help.

MJ

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”