Head Gasket? Or something more serious?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
typet22
Motorcycle: Naked 1982 GL1100I

Head Gasket? Or something more serious?

Postby typet22 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:20 am

Okay,i have a 82 gl1100i with am 83 gl1100 motor in it, supposedly only15k on motor
I was riding home from work and pulled into the hardware store, killed the bike went inside maybe 5-8 min, come back out start it and white smoke barrels out of the right exhaust,i thought valve was sticking so i got on it and rode it and noticed lack of power got home pulled the plugs both on the right side were wet, went got new plugs pt them in fitted it up ran good, sounds good, but fluid coming from exhaust? Not so much oily as it is watery, and coolant won't stay up in boilover tank, pushes out of hose that runs down to the ground..oil doesn't look milky, volant doesn't seem oily but will pull false tank and check good tomorrow racking my brain here.any help is greatly appreciated I'm 21 with an odd love for older muscle bikes lol want to get this wing on the rode. :-)

moffat
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100
Interstate

Re: Head Gasket? Or something more serious?

Postby moffat » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:42 am

Sounds like a blown cylinder head gasket. Its not much of a job to fix it BUT ENSURE YOU HAVE AN OEM GASKET as some of the pattern parts are rubbish. When you put the head back on you must use a Torque wrench to tighten up the bolts. If you do not have a torque wrench and buy one for the job test it to ensure it is working before tightening up the cylinder head bolts.
You will need to carefully check the valve timing by following the procedure in the maintenance manual and always turn the engine over by hand, (not even on the starter motor) to ensure the valve timing is correct and nothing is touching inside the engine. I do this by removing all the sparking plugs which means its easier to turn the engine over by hand or by using the rear wheel whilst in top gear.
Hope this helps

typet22

Postby typet22 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:12 am

Okay thank you have the part on order hopefully that is it anything I'm missing out should look for first timer here lol

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:11 pm

As Moffat stated, it sounds like your head gasket has failed. Plan on spending a full day to do one side correctly if you have not done it before, it is not difficult but you want to take your time and do it right, he's other good advise was to use Genuine Honda parts.. They are expensive, but they are GOOD and you don't want to have to do this job a second time due to a cheap part failing..

Gary

typet22

Postby typet22 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:17 pm

Right i totally agree with that but i just didn't know of any other gaskets were needed in addition to the head gasket, for the change

PatrickB
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby PatrickB » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:32 pm

There are 2 little O-rings on an oiler nipple inside where the the head meets the block.I would replace them.depends on which side, fuel pump O-ring.If you remove the water tubes under the carbs get those O-rings.I removed the water bracket on top of the head.Then you will need new gasket.I think that is all.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”