82 Aspencade Help w/air suspension leak-service

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

82 Aspencade Help w/air suspension leak-service

Postby wrknapper » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:30 pm

Hey Everybody, Big trouble with front air suspension, and prob rear as well.
Just bought this bike last night and almost got wrecked on the way home. Roads were a little wet and I was about 40mph.
Front end started SHAKING VIOLENTLY, to the point of near wipe-out. I thought I was history. I bought this and of course told it was road worthy. Said he was selling for the widow. Well, he almost made a widow of my wife.
Anyway, I need help trying to figure out this problem. Compressor seems to work, but won't hold air pressure. Is there a kit ? Any fix ? Any ideas ?
Why was it shaking to the point of failure ?
I can find plenty of other fixs on the site, but nothing on the air suspension. Anyone know of other pages to check ?
I got the bike for a cross country trip next week, freakin A' bros. Gotta fix it. Other than this problem, the bike looks great.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: 82 Aspencade Help w/air suspension leak-service

Postby RBGERSON » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:13 am

The front forks if leaking will need new seals..the rear same thing but a lot more work to fix the rear. Or could be leaking hoses or valves. But it shouldn't cause shaking just a harsh ride.

Postby newomij » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:24 pm

Arm yourself with a spray bottle with water and a few drops of detergent. Pump up the suspension and start spraying the hoses and fittings from the pump to the forks. Bubbles will indicate your leak. I agree with RB though. I've lost nearly all my air in the front and it didn't result in the shaking you described.

1982 GL100I Interstate
And others

Postby italianmotofest » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:06 am

Does it have the factory weight in the front? That's the reason they added the weight.

Worth a look.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”