Engine chang over

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
bcnv1100
Motorcycle: 1981 1100 Goldwing

Engine chang over

Postby bcnv1100 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:55 pm

Hey all, I'm putting a 81 standard engine into a 83 aspincade. From what we have seen/read its it should be fine. I have swapped all the parts that are a little different. So the last part is the neutral/gear indicator harness/switch that is in the front of the 83 engine. The 81 only has the neutral switch that runs to a different location and was not working when the engine was in and running. I don't think there is way to get adapt the gear indicator and am fine with loosing that , do you think the neutral switch from the 83 dash can be routed to the 81 engine neutral switch? If not should i just cap them all off and let it go??

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Engine chang over

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:47 am

bcnv1100 wrote:Hey all, I'm putting a 81 standard engine into a 83 aspincade. From what we have seen/read its it should be fine. I have swapped all the parts that are a little different. So the last part is the neutral/gear indicator harness/switch that is in the front of the 83 engine. The 81 only has the neutral switch that runs to a different location and was not working when the engine was in and running. I don't think there is way to get adapt the gear indicator and am fine with loosing that , do you think the neutral switch from the 83 dash can be routed to the 81 engine neutral switch? If not should i just cap them all off and let it go??

The neutral switch and the gear position switch both work the same way - they ground the applicable wire. In the neutral switch, the wire is grounded when the transmission is in neutral. On the gear position switch, the appropriate wire is grounded - i.e. the 4th gear wire is grounded when the transmission is in 4th gear. So you can safely connect the neutral wire from the 83 dash to the neutral switch wire. That will give you a neutral indication, but no others (obviously).

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”