Got my Goldwing!

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
aznyaz
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100I

Got my Goldwing!

Postby aznyaz » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:49 pm

OK, picked it up yesterday and I have some questions.

I haven't owned a bike in 30 years and it was a CB 550, so I was used to high revs. My more recent experiences with bigger bikes has been on V-twins and parallel twins; big, torquey, low revving bikes. So, here i am now with a big '81 GL110I. I just want to get some input as to cruising revs and such. Riding yesterday on the interstate in fifth gear doing 60 MPH, the tach at 4000, it seems like it's over-revving. I know the red line is up there at about 8500, I'm just asking if cruising any faster than that is OK. Also, while accelerating I notice a slight sputtering when not loading up on the throttle but it goes away with a little more twist to the throttle. Is this normal? Is it just that I've lost touch with a carbureted vehicle?

Any and all input is greatly appreciated. I love getting feedback, helps all this stuff sink in. I will post pics when I get some decent shots.

MJ

I already posted this, but in the 1200 forum, so if some of you have seen this already, sorry.

Read more: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13218#ixzz23vel78Da

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Re: Got my Goldwing!

Postby SteveB123 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:09 pm

aznyaz wrote:Riding yesterday on the interstate in fifth gear doing 60 MPH, the tach at 4000, it seems like it's over-revving.

Why does it seem to be over reving?
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:24 pm

Hey Az. what's up man, hey cool bike ya got there fella, first i gotta say I absolutely love my 81, nobody and I mean nobody can pry this motorbike from me, I love it, go ahead offer me 10k for nope aint happening man I might take 11k though :shock: ..I'm no expert, it's a matter of fact probably just the opposite.. But that's not important :shock: ....4k at 60 mph is about correct, are you always searching for another gear? Yeh me too.. :shock: Back in 81 the speed limit was 55 mph's and the motorbike was geared for the times, if you notice on the speedo there is a red mark around the 55 area...The gear ratio changed in the next couple of years, 82 and 83, basically what I'm saying is that even though the 81 is geared differently it's just fine....You can ride it at 80 all day long man with no problems, something to get used to is all..The one thing I really like about my bike is the size, I'm 6' and 230lbs was 270 but stupid diabete's...I can handle this bike just right even with my bad knee's..I really like it, Now that I have installed a exterior alt.[auto alt.] I have plenty of juice to do whatever I please..The 1100's are very weak in the charging area, what I'm telling you is the truth, the charging system can and will get over loaded with just a few added accessories, lights extra speakers, televisions :shock: ect ect ect. Now that's no longer a issue for me to worry about...Air filter, might have something to do with the miss, might just run a little seafoam through to make sure the carbs are cleaned a bit..That sounds pretty minor, check your wires and plugs and sync. the carbs..Check all of your electrical connections...Especially the ground to the frame..So often is that over looked..Enjoy your ride man, Our members here have taught me alot, some I knew but some I didn't, nobody knows it all...there's always something new to be learned...Shortcuts, mods. tricks, parts...Like bulbs ect. there are some brillant guy's on here [not me] that will help you along....I know what your talking about on the rpm's man, I rode a Kawa Nomad for a few years and the Rpm's were way down compaired, but it was a 1500 and it was a 03 model.. Now the 83 is most Highway friendly..Have a good one there fella...

aznyaz

Postby aznyaz » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:41 pm

Thanks guys, for both your responses. First Steve, maybe not over-revving but like I said my more recent experiences riding have been V-twins and paralles twins so I am more used to the lower revving engines of those big bikes and not used to the higher revving Goldwings. It's more my perception and not really over-revving. I guess I can look at the red line on the tach and not worry so much about going into the 5K and 6K range. Another thing is the noise since it's got an aftermarket exhaust on it which is a good bit louder than the stock pipes.

It's interesting you mentioned looking for another gear, littlebeaver. That was my first thought when I got on the interstate. I was also worried about the fit of the bike because I'm 6"-1" and 215 with long legs. I was more used to the forward controls on the other bikes I've been on except my 550 from 30 years ago. I was 30 back then and my knees worked a little better but I'm comfortable on the wing. It did have floorboards mounted with heel/toe shifter but I took them off today and put stock pegs on, much better. I'm not that interested in adding alot of electronics or electrical stuff and the guy I bought it from is a bike mechanic and he's only had to do one stator job on an 1100 in 20 years. It's the 1200's he says that have the stator problems.

Looking forward to some good rides and saving a bunch of $$$ on gas. Thanks again.

MJ

scotterichmond
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000
[img]http://images.goldwingdocs.com/scotterichmond_32376/Modestly_restored_1975_GL1000_750/engine_repainted_even_new_embl_3919.jpg[/img]

Postby scotterichmond » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:40 pm

your RPM @ MPH is where it should be, once you get used to it you won't give it a second thought.
take it out on the interstate and red line it ( to the speed limit ;) ) a few times and that should do it .
These bikes love to "stretch" out once in a while.

aznyaz

Postby aznyaz » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:51 pm

Thanks Scott, just gotta get used to those higher revs.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”