front brake issue

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Gr8Heath
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda Goldwing 1100 Interstate

front brake issue

Postby Gr8Heath » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:58 am

Hello all. Long time rider, first time "Winger". Came across a 81 gl1100i and it is amazing, and the price was unbeatable. only one issue. The rt front brake is always slightly engaged. I first noticed it squeaking while riding. after a 10 min ride, during which i never used the front brakes, the rotor is very hot compared to the left rotor. I also have trouble rolling it backwards into the garage. I've got a new caliper on the way so maybe that will fix it. if not, then the proportioning valve is next. any ideas? I read another post where someone had the same problem with the rear brake

flash2002
Motorcycle: gold wing 1800

Re: front brake issue

Postby flash2002 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:46 am

I think with a bike this old, I would do all the brakes. I would take them apart, clean, change parts if you have to, less chance of having problems down the road.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:19 am

Calipers on Gl's that stick have four possible causes..3 with the same effect fluid is not allowed to return to the master correctly..collapsed brake line, clogged return port in the master, splitter port clogged and the fourth is a bad piston/cylinder..crapped up so the piston can't return easily several possible causes here..bad o ring, pitting, and crud ring on cylinder wall or piston.

Note all of these can be fixed by rebuild except the lines..get new braided ones..the best thing you can do for your brakes all around about $140.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:31 pm

RBG is correct, it sounds to me like your line is clogged, get new lines if you can, if your funds are low like most fella's today, remove the line from the system, run a weedeater line thru it, if it stops at the end where the metal begins and doesn't want to go all the way through, that's where your clog is, remove the weedeater line then and run a small cable or firm wire and bust that clog up with it by running it in and out a bunch of times until it goes thru, it's fun, you have nothing to lose here ,but I will assure you that if you can get the weedeater line all the way thru the brake line, you are good to go ....This is for the poorman...But again the braided lines are the best bet.. You really don't want to cheat yourself when it comes to stopping your cycle..

DaveDanger
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby DaveDanger » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:30 pm

Gr8Heath wrote:Hello all. Long time rider, first time "Winger". Came across a 81 gl1100i and it is amazing, and the price was unbeatable. only one issue. The rt front brake is always slightly engaged. I first noticed it squeaking while riding. after a 10 min ride, during which i never used the front brakes, the rotor is very hot compared to the left rotor. I also have trouble rolling it backwards into the garage. I've got a new caliper on the way so maybe that will fix it. if not, then the proportioning valve is next. any ideas? I read another post where someone had the same problem with the rear brake

*My* rear brake problem thanks you for the mention LittleBeaver :)
Gr8Heath, My 83 GL1100A is doing the exact same thing, but at the rear brake as LittleBeaver mentioned...
I've rebuilt almost my entire system (calipers) as of this writing, minus the rebuild of the rear master cylinder, since I can't seem to get ANYONE to ship me a correctly sized rebuild kit :( I am however going to get what I need even if I have to go to the local Honda dealer and order the OEM parts ~ $60.00 or so.
Several folks mention a tiny orifice in the pedal brake system (rear & right front unified) and it is NOT in the master cylinder. If it's there, it's in the proportioning valve. I will determine this Monday am as that's the first thing I tackle after breakfast. The GL1100 service manual says the proportioning valve is not serviceable and simply has to be replaced... but if that's true, then I can't hurt it any worse than it already is by boiling it out in a tank of carb cleaner:) We'll see about it and I'll repost back to you Gr8Heath and see if we can't solve both our problems :lol:
Incidentally, my brand new stainless hose kit (ordered thru lopeha here on the forum) showed up on my front porch yesterday afternoon, so that will be installed tomorrow as well.

Gr8Heath, My suggestion on your hoses is the same... replace them. Testing them with a string trimmer line is fine and will help determine if they're blocked, but if it is, the likelihood of cleaning it out is slim. It more than likely is NOT a cleanable clog, but more likely the hose material swelling from age and contact with brake fluid. When a rubber hose swells, it swells larger on the outside, and SMALLER on the inside. Enough swell causes the hose to shrink closed. The probability is that the hoses on your bike are factory original. Very good chance they've gotten soft and are "swelling". Even if not swelled closed, I don't like the chances of a 30+ year old hose giving up suddenly while I'm doing battle with cars & trucks on the highway.
A successful leader is someone who may be chased down the street by an angry mob but will make it look like he is leading a triumphal parade.

Gr8Heath

Postby Gr8Heath » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:37 am

after extensive conversation with the PO, I've found that the front brake lines have in fact been replaced, approx 10 months ago. he claims he never realized the problem with the right caliper. don't see how, acceleration is a joke and you can't roll the bike without the engine. So I have a new caliper coming, along with the proportioning valve, just in case. Given the delivery time and my own free time, I should be able to install all parts in approx 2 weeks. hope we can all get our respective problems fixed and start enjoying the ride like we're supposed to. cheers!

seabee_
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda Goldwing GL1200
117k miles
1977 Kawasaki kz400
1978 Suzuki GSXr750
1980 Kawasaki GPZ400
1975 Honda CB360T

Postby seabee_ » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:14 am

The bleed back, or return port is a small hole inside the master cylinder. You have to look inside to find it. If you don't see it, chances are it is clogged. You also should check the slide pins on the calipers to make sure they are not rusted or corroded. They should be cleaned and lubed when you rebuild or work on the brakes.
Paul
CE1 Navy Seabees/RET
1981 to 2002
ASE Mechanic

flash2002
Motorcycle: gold wing 1800

Postby flash2002 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:48 am

I bought a 82 a few weeks ago in bad shape, there was no back brakes , and the front would brake only on one side. I took the back apart they where full of brown oil and what look like mud, the front one caliper was jamed and the other had one piston working. I took the it all apart clean and change seals, now they work like new.

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:33 am

This is really more questions than response...but here goes...
On the '80 Interstate and perhaps the '81 in question the front brakes are controlled through a "splitter" or some sort of proportioning valve...? (Right?)
If this is correct (I think it is?) then one would have to bleed the brakes through the calipers to affect pressure...is there a proper sequence of bleeding to offer the best results..ie: Left side -Right Side ?

Just wondering because I am awaiting new rebuild kits right now and will be doing the brakes ALL AROUND in the next few weeks....

I ordered the parts from OLDBIKEBARN.COM ...Sure hope they are the right ones...they looked correct from what I could see on the website....

Worries - Worries --- :mrgreen:
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:57 am

Wingsconsin wrote:This is really more questions than response...but here goes...
On the '80 Interstate and perhaps the '81 in question the front brakes are controlled through a "splitter" or some sort of proportioning valve...? (Right?)
If this is correct (I think it is?) then one would have to bleed the brakes through the calipers to affect pressure...is there a proper sequence of bleeding to offer the best results..ie: Left side -Right Side ?

Just wondering because I am awaiting new rebuild kits right now and will be doing the brakes ALL AROUND in the next few weeks....

I ordered the parts from OLDBIKEBARN.COM ...Sure hope they are the right ones...they looked correct from what I could see on the website....

No. The splitter/proportioning valve started with the 1983 model, and linked brakes. On 1982 and earlier, conventional split front/rear brakes were used.

Wingsconsin

Postby Wingsconsin » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:42 am

You can see the item #7 here...a "splitter" of sorts on the 1980 Interstate
Notice the cables from the Master Cylinder to the splitter and beyond to the calipers...
It looks like doing the left front first would be a good coise as it sems farther away from the MC
(Trying to think logically)

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:46 am

Oh OK, I see what you're talking about. That's not a proportioning valve, it is exactly what you said - a splitter, to split the pressure equally to both front calipers.

The left caliper is marginally farther away - but I never had any problem bleeding the front brakes on the GL1100 regardless of which one I did first.

Wingsconsin

Postby Wingsconsin » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:56 am

One thing I am learning is that the '80 and '81 seem to be very different from the '82 & '83 especially when looking at the Interstate vs Aspencade models....I can see how Honda progressed to the GL1200 with integrated bags & trunk as well as many other features over the few years of the 1100 ....Interesting ....Having owned a 1200 , and a 1500 (now) and this 1100 of my sons I have had access to a few models of the Goldwing....each one has it's own uniqueness and design strengths ...I like them all...

Gr8Heath

Postby Gr8Heath » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:16 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Wingsconsin wrote:This is really more questions than response...but here goes...

No. The splitter/proportioning valve started with the 1983 model, and linked brakes. On 1982 and earlier, conventional split front/rear brakes were used.

Just to clarify, my 81 Interstate's front braking system has a splitter and not a proportioning valve? my mechanic at the dealership called it a proportioning valve, of course that doesn't mean hes right. If that's the case, I speculate that the proportioning valve is only on the models with linked front and rear brakes. True?

Gr8Heath

Postby Gr8Heath » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:19 pm

seabee_ wrote:The bleed back, or return port is a small hole inside the master cylinder. You have to look inside to find it. If you don't see it, chances are it is clogged. You also should check the slide pins on the calipers to make sure they are not rusted or corroded. They should be cleaned and lubed when you rebuild or work on the brakes.

that's good to know Seabee. Maybe I'll give that a shot when I get back to town :D

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:24 pm

Gr8Heath wrote:Just to clarify, my 81 Interstate's front braking system has a splitter and not a proportioning valve? my mechanic at the dealership called it a proportioning valve, of course that doesn't mean hes right. If that's the case, I speculate that the proportioning valve is only on the models with linked front and rear brakes. True?

That's correct. The splitter on the front of the 80-82 1100's is just a hollow tube with a couple banjo bolt fittings on each end. The proportioning valve on an 83 is back near the rear brake master cylinder, and it is responsible for sending more volume/pressure to the front brake and less to the rear brake, in a specified proportion (hence the name).

Gr8Heath

Replacement caliper shows up

Postby Gr8Heath » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:11 am

ok, to anyone's knowledge, has an 81 Gl1100i ever have calipers with only one piston? my replacement has a single piston setup. And I assume it would not be the best idea to use a single piston caliper on the right front, and a dual piston caliper on the left. now I'm frustrated,
:?

Gr8Heath

Re: Replacement caliper shows up

Postby Gr8Heath » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:39 pm

Gr8Heath wrote:ok, to anyone's knowledge, has an 81 Gl1100i ever have calipers with only one piston? my replacement has a single piston setup. And I assume it would not be the best idea to use a single piston caliper on the right front, and a dual piston caliper on the left. now I'm frustrated,
:?

never mind, human error. Evidently after working a double shift I can't count. :D

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:44 pm

I can't count how many times I have done stuff like that...it's kinda funny to see someone else screw up instead of me all the time... :lol: :lol: It's all good man we all make flops once in a while... :lol:I am the Master flopper.... :lol: Never, ever, ever, never, ever, take my advice.... :lol:

Gr8Heath

Postby Gr8Heath » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:19 pm

Well it turns out that I just had to clean and polish the pivot bolts and piston. now the right front brakes fully release. now I can roll the bike back into the garage :D I had a slight issue with the rear suspension adjustment, but she glides rather well now

BAEZ4eva
Motorcycle: 1980 Honda GL1100

Postby BAEZ4eva » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:19 pm

I JUST picked up a beauty (80 GL1100). Fell in love w/it the minute i saw it.
Too bad I'm going through front brake issues too. She doesnt wanna stop! Can anyone give me advice regarding upgrading to vented rotors/braided line/high performance brake pads? Btw, all of this for the front.
Thanks in advance

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”