Installing Bladed fuse block.

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
1982jerryl
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Installing Bladed fuse block.

Postby 1982jerryl » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:11 pm

I recently bought a 1982 GL 1100 Aspencade with 69K miles. It is in great condition except the fuse block and some other wiring to the added on cd/radio. the fuse block had one melted out fuse holder and wires soldered in and others that were just twisted together. I could tell it was quite a strain on the stator/battery for when I came to a stop at nite the headlight dimmed to almost not knowing if it was on. So, one morning after finding an automotive fuse block that took blade fuses as opposed to the old glass fuses, I installed my new fuse block and what a difference that made to my bike. It was not very responsive when I first got it to the throttle. I had a 1200 last year that had more get up and go, so I just assumed it was because it was an 1100. This new fuse block really gave it some youth back because this bike is very quick now and runs better and goes further on a tank. I reccomend all of you with older bikes try this out. Not hard to do either.

scotterichmond
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000
[img]http://images.goldwingdocs.com/scotterichmond_32376/Modestly_restored_1975_GL1000_750/engine_repainted_even_new_embl_3919.jpg[/img]

Re: Installing Bladed fuse block.

Postby scotterichmond » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:20 am

sounds like you were getting low voltage to the ignition (as well as other things), because of high resistance at that fuse block . Good fix.

lgsparks1
Motorcycle: 1980 Goldwing GL1100I

Postby lgsparks1 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:29 am

Amazing. I just logged in this morning to ask how to do what you just did. Timing is perfect. I have a 1980 Goldwing GL1100I. I have done almost everything on this bike you can do and love everything about it except the fuse block. I hate doing electrical on anything - house, car, motorcycle, but it needs to be done. My block is a mess, three of the fuses are soldered in place. Everything works ok but I know it needs to be replaced. I just need help with the how. I am scared I am going to get into this and not be able to figure it out. Any pics or step by step instructions would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

I'll even let you come do it if you need some more practice!!! :D
Glenn Sparks
Cross Spoke Riders
Tyler Tx
Ride for the SON

1982jerryl

Postby 1982jerryl » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:31 pm

Definitely had the low voltage thing going on and now it is like a new bike. Love the ride now! Texas is a ways to get to nowadays for me. It was a daunting feat for me even to ponder. I did do some research however and there is a site like this for Yamaha Venture Royale where I got the idea and courage. I had an 89 venture and joined that site and found step bys there. The guy there did a great job on his! It is a great upgrade and only took me 2 hours. I was not rushing so it could have gone faster, but was really quite easy. The seat and false tank all have to come off in order for you to do it right and have the room to get in there to connect up to the old wires. I picked out a fuse block from an auto parts store. I soldered in connectors and wire leads making them longer than needed. Marked my wires from my old fuse block with the correct amp fuse. Disconnect your battery before you start all this. I then started cutting and splicing in my new wires with connectors on them and got them soldered into place and then it was just a matter of how i wanted to place them in the fuse block. there is a difference in fuse blocks than the one on our bikes for there is a Positive and negative pole that can be jumped into a fuse so that add-on lights or whatever can be ran only with the key on.

lgsparks1
Motorcycle: 1980 Goldwing GL1100I

Postby lgsparks1 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:19 pm

Do you happen to have that website where you got the idea?
Glenn Sparks
Cross Spoke Riders
Tyler Tx
Ride for the SON

daaaon
Motorcycle: 1980 1100

Postby daaaon » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:26 pm

Where did you get fuse block from?

1982jerryl

Postby 1982jerryl » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:05 pm

Ventureriders.org is where I first saw the idea. I believe it is still on there. I got a regular fuse block from an auto parts store for 6 bladed fuses. I had to hook up ground different and there is a way to separate the fuses inside the block if you have a dremel tool so that you can run your accesories and what not without going thru the ignition.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”