Advice on carbs

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
portugeezer
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1982 Gl500
1984 Honda Magna V30

Advice on carbs

Postby portugeezer » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:27 pm

Ok, So I replaced the ring clip that holds the driveshaft to the output shaft and the bike is now mobile! When I first started the bike the crankcase as so full of gasoline it was gushing from the overflow tubes! Shut it off immediatyely and drained the oil. It started right up and smoked heavily for about 15 minutes then dried out. It doesn't seem to be flooding at all now. The problem is it just won't idle until it gets very warm and then it is still rough with a bit of popping. There is an occasional metallic sounding knock! I did rebuild the carbs on my GL1000 so I'm not afraid of doing it but those kits are not cheap. When I got done with that bike I rode it three miles to a friends house and we used his vacuum guages to sync my carbs. He doesn't live there anymore so now I need to buy the balancer guage. My question is should I try to sync the carbs before I tear them apart and is it possible to get them clean and functioning properly without buying kits? I have had this work on some paralell twins with simpiler carbs. I am thinking about buying the guage and trying a sync then if it still runs bad remove the rack and try cleaning and reassembling then sync again. Would this all be a waste of time? This bike is a project I intend to ride next season so I'm still riding the GL1000 I'm in no hurry! Here is a pic. What do you guys think? Thanks for any advice!......The Geezer!
Attachments

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Advice on carbs

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:32 am

I'd go with your instinct. Run a can of Seafoam through, a tank of gas, then on fresh gas (no Seafoam) sync the carbs. If it cleans up, you're good. If not, then it might be time to pull and rebuild the carbs.

If you had a crankcase full of fuel, one of your float valves is sticking/leaking anyway, so a rebuild might not a bad idea. That said, Seafoam might clean that up as well.

Tombrewster421
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby Tombrewster421 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:20 pm

Your bike looks exactly like mine!

I just rebuilt the carbs on mine because it would not idle at all. I got the kit and gauges to sync them from Sabercycle.com. In every kit they ship they give you an informative insert on the importance of the air cut off valve. You can also just read it on their website here http://www.sabercycle.info/
Apparently this is something that is often overlooked. Good luck and enjoy your toys.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:13 pm

Whilst it sounds like Tom had a good experience with Saber Cycle, I would suggest sticking to randakks, Saber Cycle has a VERY BAD reputation amongst most goldwing owners (Do a search on the WEB to see how much bad press they have).. Randakks is a bit more expensive, but you get what you pay for and they have a customer reputation, second to none..
Buyer beware..

Gary

Tombrewster421
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby Tombrewster421 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:19 pm

Yeah. I basically went with sabercycle because I needed the vacuum gauges and the kit was less expensive. Now that I have the tools I would probably buy from randakks. I also needed new idle screws because one was broken and randakks did not offer them. The information on both sites I found to be very helpful though.

portugeezer
1982 Gl500
1984 Honda Magna V30

Postby portugeezer » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:17 am

I found someone who is selling a lot of Goldwing parts. I'm planning to go check it out. He says he has new belts and carb kits. I might buy them if they are cheap enough. It would be nice to get the stuff cheap! I'm not sure if these are the carb service kits or the rebuild kits. I'm just going to have to look! Tom, You should post a pic of your bike! Get the dog in the picture too :lol:

portugeezer
1982 Gl500
1984 Honda Magna V30

Postby portugeezer » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:19 am

As for vacuum guages I have never had a problem using a homemade manometer so I bought the stuff to make one and ordered the adaptors yesterday!

wantril2000
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda Goldwing

Postby wantril2000 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:19 pm

Hi guys, I just replaced my water pump and gasket kit, thank goodness no leaks. That was a lot of fun. I have a question on carbs. I rebuilt them last year, and at the end of the season I stored the bike. This spirng I took it out and noticed the carbs were leaking fuel (bad). But I was more concerned with the weap hole leaking. So, priorities applied. Now I want to tackle the carbs. I appears that all 4 are leaking, and it is not from the tubes between 1 and 3 or 2 and 4. Those I addressed this spring, and I am wondering could it be the floats are sticking?? I know that can flood the carbs, but leaking, and above the exaust manifolds too. Certainly gets my attention when it starts smoking from there. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Seafoam, some kind of fuel sealant? HELP!!!

scotterichmond
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000
[img]http://images.goldwingdocs.com/scotterichmond_32376/Modestly_restored_1975_GL1000_750/engine_repainted_even_new_embl_3919.jpg[/img]

Postby scotterichmond » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:09 pm

wantril2000 wrote:Hi guys, I just replaced my water pump and gasket kit, thank goodness no leaks. That was a lot of fun. I have a question on carbs. I rebuilt them last year, and at the end of the season I stored the bike. This spirng I took it out and noticed the carbs were leaking fuel (bad). But I was more concerned with the weap hole leaking. So, priorities applied. Now I want to tackle the carbs. I appears that all 4 are leaking, and it is not from the tubes between 1 and 3 or 2 and 4. Those I addressed this spring, and I am wondering could it be the floats are sticking?? I know that can flood the carbs, but leaking, and above the exaust manifolds too. Certainly gets my attention when it starts smoking from there. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Seafoam, some kind of fuel sealant? HELP!!!

can't go wrong with this one

http://randakks.com/Carb%20Parts.htm#9A

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”