NEW COOLING FAN SETUP

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
volvot5
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I

NEW COOLING FAN SETUP

Postby volvot5 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:27 am

Just wanted to share my new upgrade to my GL 1100I. I live in the AZ desert. The road temperatures out on the highway hit over 160 degrees on the black top and about 10 degrees cooler on cement. This is tough on any cooling system, motorcycle or car. You think your car is not running hot, think again. Most manufactures dampen there cooling system gauges. By the time your gauge starts moving up, your engine is extremely hot. This is a Fact. I noticed up on the highway anything above 95 degrees it starts to run over the center after a while. The position of the radiator behind the front wheel is extremely deficient to air flow. Since the wheel is in the center the air gets split going around the radiator. The original cooling fan mounted to the radiator is pretty much useless. It is barely able to hold up a piece of paper against it when it is running. Also the mounting of the cooling fan is horrible. It is mounted in the upper left corner of the radiator, 2nd problem is when the fan is running only 3 out of the 4 blades are struggling to pull anything through the one small section of the radiator.
My solution to the problem was to modify the fan. I purchased a 7 inch racing cooling fan, these fans have a turbo blade on them and they can move a great deal of air fast with less drain on your battery. http://www.ebay.com/itm/230813951497?ss ... 1439.l2649. I originally mounted my cooling fan to the back of the radiator, smack dab in the center. I tested the suction of the fan, it was incredible it sucked a piece of paper from a foot away and mashed it against the radiator. I tried installing radiator back in the bike, but the fan was hitting the timing cover by about an inch I had to take it back out. I could have modified the radiator mountings but that would have been more doodling. I mounted it to the front of the grill and reversed the polarity of the fan and flipped the blade. These are designed to do this. You can actually push more air than you can pull. After It was mounted to the grill. After that there is space on both sides between the grill and radiator. I sealed these up with foam.

After that I installed the new side caps that I purchased from ACE hardware. It is vinyl base board mounlding in black. It cost 3.99. Looks and fits great. Here is what it looks like with the caps on it. If you look at a car you will see the same exact setup that I have here. As technology evolves ,the radiator cooling fans on our cars are so efficient that there is no longer any need for a condensor fan.
Now this setup cools very efficienlty.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: NEW COOLING FAN SETUP

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:17 am

I'd like to see a picture of this if you have one to post!

volvot5

NEW COOLING FAN SETUP/PICTURES

Postby volvot5 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:52 pm

Just wanted to share my new upgrade to my GL 1100I. I live in the AZ desert. The road temperatures out on the highway hit over 160 degrees on the black top and about 10 degrees cooler on cement. This is tough on any cooling system, motorcycle or car. You think your car is not running hot, think again. Most manufactures dampen there cooling system gauges. By the time your gauge starts moving up, your engine is extremely hot. This is a Fact. I noticed up on the highway anything above 95 degrees it starts to run over the center after a while. The position of the radiator behind the front wheel is extremely deficient to air flow. Since the wheel is in the center the air gets split going around the radiator. The original cooling fan mounted to the radiator is pretty much useless. It is barely able to hold up a piece of paper against it when it is running. Also the mounting of the cooling fan is horrible. It is mounted in the upper left corner of the radiator, 2nd problem is when the fan is running only 3 out of the 4 blades are struggling to pull anything through the radiator.
My solution to the problem was to modify the fan. I purchased a 7 inch racing cooling fan, these fans have turbo fans on them and they can move a great deal of air fast with less drain on your battery. http://www.ebay.com/itm/230813951497?ss ... 1439.l2649. I originally mounted my cooling fan to the back of the radiator, smack dab in the center. I tested the suction of the fan, it was incredible it sucked a piece of paper from a foot away and mashed it against the radiator. I tried installing radiator back in the bike, but the fan was hitting the timing cover by about an inch I had to take it back out. I could have modified the radiator mountings but that would have been more doodling. I mounted it to the front of the grill and reversed the polarity of the fan and flipped the blade. These are designed to do this. You can actually push more air than you can pull. After It was mounted to the grill there was space on both sides between the grill and radiator. I sealed these up with foam.
NO AIR SHOULD ESCAPE FROM THE SIDES.
NO AIR SHOULD ESCAPE FROM THE SIDES.

END CAPS TO RETAIN THE FOAM BLOCKS AND ACTS AS A NICE LOOKING TRIM.
END CAPS TO RETAIN THE FOAM BLOCKS AND ACTS AS A NICE LOOKING TRIM.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:39 am

A good mod but not a new concept. Randakk has one on his gl1000. Looks to be the same fan. His is because of the blower and oil cooler. Good job though.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:25 am

Mine seems to work nicely, keeps the temps way down...
Right side of Wind Guide
Right side of Wind Guide
Right side shot
Right side shot
Front view of my lowers I made
Front view of my lowers I made
Once you get rolling it gets it's air now..Real good air flow...Oh and the raditaor is sticking out at the bottom due to my alt. mod..if it looks strange..I like you fan though.. :D

volvot5

Postby volvot5 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:43 am

That's my next modification is to put an alternator and a updated fuse box in mine. Where do you get the crank pulleys from for the alternator.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:03 pm

Sir I have them made sir, $130.00 each and that's if I order 5 at a time..Here's what they look like,,,other wise these are going to be like $300.00 each for just 1, yeh, I know freakin outragous..I have no control over this, I have me one bad ass pulley though...4" 3 rib belt, keyed pulley hello 14 volts at idle hello 55 amps of power, hello :D ... And never a problem with my charging system again hello...it's been worth it so far..Serpentine or v-belts...
I'm willing to bet you can find these cheaper somewhere else or have one made...just shop around and ask alot of questions..Get prices..

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”