Battery draining?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Tombrewster421
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Battery draining?

Postby Tombrewster421 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:01 pm

I'm experiencing battery drain while everything is off. If I disconnect the positive terminal on the battery and use my voltmeter between the terminal and the wire it reads about 10.5 volts unless I disconnect the harness for the digital dash. The voltmeter directly on the battery terminals is at 12. The voltmeter built into the bike always reads lower than my external one. Is this supposed to even have a constant power supply? I took apart the dash and it smells like burnt electronics but nothing looks abnormal and it does work.

Please help! This was a replacement dash as the PO just never got around to installing it before he gave it to me.

Tombrewster421

Re: Battery draining?

Postby Tombrewster421 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:17 pm

Does anyone have a schematic for the aspencade? My repair manual only has standard and interstate. Doesn't quite have all the same stuff.

Tombrewster421

Postby Tombrewster421 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:00 pm

Upon further tinkering I found that if I disconnect the wires from the dash to the speed sensor the issue also goes away. Looking in the speed sensor shows that some fork oil has leaked inside due to bad seals on the unit. I guess I need a new speed sensor?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:19 am

There should be no power going to the dash or speed sensor when the ignition is off. If your speedometer is working correctly, I doubt that oil will be causing your problem - spray some brake cleaner in there to flush out the old fork oil and it should be otherwise good.

The only thing in the bike that has power when the keyswitch is off is the radio, in order to keep the radio presets in memory. The only wire on the bike that has power all the time is always colored solid red; conversely, any wire colored solid red in the bike is always connected directly to the battery (through the 30 amp main fuse) and has power at all times.

What you need to do is figure out why your dash has power when it isn't supposed to.

You mentioned your voltmeter reading low - this is actually fairly normal, as there is voltage loss in the wiring and connectors between the voltmeter and the battery, especially in an older bike. But then you mentioned (I think) it having power all the time? Your voltmeter should definitely not be showing voltage if the key is off. I wonder if it was hooked up incorrectly when you replaced the dash?

1983 GL1100 Voltmeter
1983 GL1100 Voltmeter

Notice the power source for the voltmeter is plugged into the black (switched) power wire. If it is instead plugged into the red (unswitched) power nearby (which should not be connected to anything), your voltmeter will show voltage at all times, even with key switch off, and would explain your battery drain.

Tombrewster421

Postby Tombrewster421 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:39 pm

Thank you for the reply and the access to the manual downloads. It appears that the dash does in fact have a constant power supply. I think it is for the memory for the trip meter. That is digital while the odometer is not. I found the info in the manual on how to test the speed sensor so I'll be doing that when I get home. Maybe it's just stuck in the on position or something.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:37 pm

Ah, right, forgot about that digital dash. Yes, there is a red wire that goes to the dash, to keep the tripmeter memory. It is an extremely small draw however - certainly not enough to kill the battery over time. If the problem is inside the digital dash (and if disconnecting the speed sensor stops the current draw, it probably is) I can't help much, as I have zero experience with it. :(

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”