Right Master Cylinder Replacement

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
kajunmisfitt
Motorcycle: 1984 GL 1200 Aspencade

Right Master Cylinder Replacement

Postby kajunmisfitt » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:37 pm

Hello Goldwing World,
I have been told by the man who has been working on my Goldwing GL1100A and He told me he found that the Master Cyclinder on the Right side (not sure where it went) I think it was going to the right side in the front. But anyway he told me it was "PITED" he can't bring it back to life. That I need to get a replacement.So I ask you where do I go to get them ,,I am assuming that new is best but used is not a bad way to go. and what am I looking at as far as cost. since I haven't done this before. thanks

Possum51
Motorcycle: 04 Harley-Davidson Road King

Re: Right Master Cylinder Replacement

Postby Possum51 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:26 am

Not really sure if you are talking about a caliper or master cylinder. As far I know you have a front master cylinder (on the handlebar right side) or a rear brake master cylinder usually somewhere near the rear brake pedal. Either way you can find good used ones on ebay or places like hondapartsonline.com depending on what you are waniting to spend.
Rick.....

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:23 am

If you have a 1982, then your right foot pedal operates a master cylinder that actuates the rear brake caliper, and the right hand lever operates a master cylinder that actuates both front brake calipers.

If you have a 1983, then your right foot pedal operates a master cylinder that actuates the rear brake caliper and the front right brake caliper, and the right hand lever operates a master cylinder that actuates the left front brake caliper.

In any case, regardless of whether it is a master cylinder or a caliper that is pitted and needs replacement, you're not going to find new replacement parts, as Honda hasn't made them for years. Your best bet is eBay, or a parts vendor that parts out old bikes. You will, of course, need to know what it is you're looking for, first. :)

kajunmisfitt
Motorcycle: 1984 GL 1200 Aspencade

Postby kajunmisfitt » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:28 am

Thanks Wing Admin for the smaller too the point message. I will go look at eh web site ya'll have told me about..... All I know is what I was told and I showed him the picture out of the Honda "Clymer manual.... He pointed out the body which is on the bottom attached to the handlebars. not the reservoir but what it sit on.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”